Heifer HELP!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hopper

I need help asap! My daughters heifer is being a big pain. You can catch her, brush her, tie her up and all that fun stuff. PROBLEM she will not let you walk her at all. Everytime we try she bolts on us. Only way to get her to walk is to hook her to the truck since she can't get away from that. I have had several people try to walk her and she has done it with everyone so far. Can't take her to a show with the truck. I need any advice to help me break her of this bad habit. I have even tied her up for days and that didn't even help. Any advise would be helpful. :mad:  :-\  :(

knabe

Small pen, long rope, treats,positive reinforcement. Get the feet moving instead of the neck bending.

diamonddls

Had a steer like this as kid. Dad would pony him with the our old head horse seemed to do the trick for us. Have also used a donkey in similar situation. Good luck

shortii

I know people that have used a donkey before and it has worked well. Dont just tie her to any old donkey though, some will bite and kick at the calf which could make her even worse then before. Just make sure its a donkey that has had experience with breaking calves.

renegadelivestock

if you have access to a goo breaking donkey I would try that route, but make sure the donkey is easy to catch, that way when you walk up to them an the heifer tries to bolt, the donkey will stay put and you can handle the heifer in an open environment without her getting away, eventually she will learn that it is a losing battle. also, when she is not on the donkey, let her drag the halter. she will learn that when she steps on the rope and feels pressureon her nose, she has to stop

cowman 52

Go to the pasture and get the biggest old show cow you own,  halter them both and tie the halters together. Don't get between them, and let her try to drag the other one off.  If you circle them,  she can't. Dare her to try.  When she figures out she can't get away with the old cow and can't get away period, she will cave.

BTDT

This heifer has learned that by bolting she can get away.  And so, when she has had enough, she bolts and gets away and therefore is rewarded for bolting.  I am not sure a donkey will help this situation as the heifer is not afraid of you, she just knows she can get away.  Once she learns she can not get away from the donkey, she will not try, but she will definitely try it once you take the halter.  Bovines are far smarter than most give them credit for. 
I hope I can describe this method as it helped me greatly back 30 years ago when I was showing Limi's.  Put two halters on her; one with a long lead (12 feet) and the other a normal lead.  Have someone QUITELY wrap the long lead around a post about 8 feet away. Then untie the heifer and lead her.  If you make the 8 feet. Tie her up. Brush her while the other person take the rope another 8 feet away.  If the heifer bolts, try to hold her long enough for her to hit the end of the rope. If she bolts hard, be careful as she may flip and take you down with her.  As soon as she has hit the end of the rope and is on all fours, quickly BUT QUIETLY, get up in leading position again and act as if nothing happened.  Tie her up, brush her as the other person advances 8 feet and reties. Your goal is to get her to think that YOU stopped her.  This entire process is to be done very quietly and calmly.  I am not joking when I say it usually takes about 2 sessions of about an hour of this to completely rid the bad bolting.  A caution:  always be aware of where the other rope is.  Do not get tangled up!  I have found it best to keep the long rope on the left side (leading side) and in front...
If you have another person who is experienced and is quick, you can have them advance 8 feet without tying off until she bolts. 

Do not get injured!!  This is a proven method but takes at least one knowledgeable and experienced person.  Good luck. 

cowboy_nyk

Very good reply from BTDT.  I have used a similar method in the past on a bolting Charolais heifer.  If they hit the end of the long rope and flip themselves over once, you've got them beat.  Good luck. 

hardenblu2

All of these are good suggestions, you could also try a clip on nose tong. It usually takes the run out of them the first time but you'll have to use it for a couple weeks to break the habit. good luck.

Latest posts