heifer off feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

Richburg

ok i have a POM heifer on a double down cow that i bought back in september.....she wasnt exactly the growthiest calf and was green when i got her....i pushed her on feed and she was doing great weekend before last we went to show it was a friday saturday deal and on fri night she had this stuff coming out of her vulva.....it looked liked stuff you cough up when you are sick (like a green or yellow mucus) and it was like lumpy...and then the next morning after we washed her and sat her down to eat the mucus stuff started to come out again......she ate fine at the show and when we got her home she totally would not eat for 2 days.....since last wednesday she has maybe eaten 2 scoops a day

i have tried probios and when she went to nibble she didnt like the probios so tommorow i am going to get some b12 and see if that helps.

but what i am trying to figure out is what is that stuff that came out of her vulva and could it have affected her going off feed?????

and today i checked her temp and she was a 101.7

and any other suggestions would be nice because i need to ge this heifer back on track ASAP

gocanes719

Sounds to me like she was in heat.  I wouldn't be concerned with that temp.  Give the probios some time to work.  Keep some good hay in here and allow her plenty of fresh water.  Maybe try giving her half of what you normally feed her and see how she does.  You might have to make her hungry again.  Start slow and build her back up.  I think she will be fine. 

Richburg

ya i have cut her feed in half and have tried wet beet pulp and she seemed to like it a bit more than just straight feed or dry pulp.we first thought she was in heat but it was weird stuff that come out......i guess some heifers can just be different

i know she should be alright

i was even thinking of skipping feeding s and only feeding her once a day?

DLD

Sounds to me like she could have some kind of infection. A good dose of pennicillin wouldn't hurt anything, and might get her back on track.

CAB

Doesn't sound like symptoms from a heat cycle. Cattle will still eat while cycling. Sounds like she has a uterine or blatter infection. I think that you need to call up your vet and describe the symptoms and get the heifer whatever  antibiotics he/she tells you might work the best. I wouldn't worry about the temp either, but the vet should know that info. The sooner, the better. Good Luck!

red

not to sound gross but does it smell? I'd probably call my vet & just have her checked to be on the safe side. A show heifer can pick up all sorts of things. Was it time for her to cycle? The temp is low grade but I always am of the mind of being safe than sorry.

Red

Richburg

nope the stuff didnt smell....but  funny thing i went to my property where my animals are and i checked up on her and she had licked her feed bowl clean .....she ate 2 scoops of feed and 1 scoop of wet beet pulp.......feed her for the night and she went right in and ate like a champ........she's a slow eater so she didnt finish it before i let her out but its good she is beginnig to get her appetite back.......we gave her a shot of penicilin and some vitamin b from tractor supply so we shall see how she eats the next couple days

thanks for all the input