Hello everyone

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

rmbcows said:
OH Breeder said:
Steer Jock- my layman's terms- used car sales man. They look, find and sometimes rehab projects. Then they market their finds. There are some steer jocks that breed and sell but most seem to buy low and sell high with the additional services on occasion of fitting the animal after the sale and advising on feed etc.
Professional Fitter- An individual who fits cattle for their profession. I also know lots of folks that fit cattle that do not jockey steers.

OH Breeder.. I totally agree with your definitions.  In my lamely worded statement that they were one in the same, I was referring to whether they should be allowed to clip at the jr shows.  If you're trying to keep it down to just jrs and their families,  I can't see a difference in a steer jock or a professional fitter doing the clipping, neither is family. (unless you're lucky)

See my other post under. I am with Knabe. No limiits. That is just my opinion. Not much.

dori36

Kupfarm said:
Thank you everyone for your replies.  Yes, this is to avoid outside "professional help" on showday to the Youth. 

One super said they thought professionals were ok, but not Jocks.  So it is a grey area here.  And one of the supers could not even give a meaning for their idea of a Steer Jock.  I have come to realize people will complain even when they are hung with a new rope. 

Based on the larger shows I've been involved with, my definition of a steer jock is one who not only fits/works for others but also hauls a showstring made up of customers' cattle and shows them for the customer.  A professional fitter grooms for others but doesn't necessarily maintain a showstring.  So, I could (and have!) hire a fitter  to groom but I'd show them myself.  And, yes, a steer jock can also be a professional fitter and vice versa.

Kupfarm

You are all awesome.  Thank you!!!  We can find a new way to help our youth without the assistance of "outside help". 

As far as the Market heifer question,  I believe they should be raised the same as a market steer and not bred.  We were told it was a board of animal health thing here in Indiana that MHs had to be deemed open by a vet.  We found out this is false, but I want to know what the general census on this was. 

ELBEE

SRU said:
Elbee should be proud to know that Kupfarm is using a picture of Gizmo as their avatar.

Oh, wrong Gizmo!

I believe both "Gizmos" had the same personality

All steer jocks consider themselves professional fitters.

Professional fitters are not all steer jocks.

Once you lay your hands on an animal led into an open show. your a professional, good or bad.

Our county has no rules on who's fitting, as long as no money changes hands for services rendered ::) (see other thread on fitters)