hereford steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

garybob

chambero said:
You can go to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo website and open up the Exhibitors's Handbook.  They actually included our Steer Classificaton Guidelines in its entirety.  It's a joke, but its in there.

I often think you have a better chance to get a crossbred in as an Angus or Hereford than you do a real one.  Last year, we sold two true Angus calves that got sifted at Houston.  Our only "Angus" that got in was out of a white Charolais cross cow and a high % Maine bull.  You can't outguess them down here.
That alarms me. Just what are we teaching these kids? I was disappointed in all the back-stabbing, dog-eat-dog politics, and burdensome rules involved in the TX youth shows, when I lived along the Border. Got told to "shut 'Yer  "GD" Arkansas mouth", by a County Agent when I noted how "appendix" a "Shorthorn" steer looked at a show. He asked me for my opinion, I gave it, and got "whupped".
If County Agents are like this in Texas, I'm glad I didn't have any contact with Fitters and Jockeys. Totally different world, less mention of performance and carcass data than a weekly Arkansas Feeder Cattle auction in Fescue Country. Texas likes to pride itself with the most FFA and 4H members per capita, and promotes"Educational Opportunities in Agriculture for Youth". In reality, all they have is a bunch of shows. "We" , all of us, each breed, have taken what was once a legitimate teaching tool, and, turned it into Varsity Sport.

I was taken a-back by all  the  liars, cheats and thieves, the poorest examples of character. I know there were good people there, I just don't think I had the chance to make their acquaintance.  Most alarming , to me, was the level of underage drinking I saw at these shows. Some of it condoned by parents, some of it by "fitters"  chasing the young girls.

Unapologetic,

GaryBob

common sense

This is just an April calf out of a straight Herf cow and a Maine bull.  He is really nice but has the "Hereford" style hip/butt. (Oh, I hope that doesn't offend anyone!!  I just think that he would be really tough if he could be classified as a herf but I just don't know if he will make it.  I sincerely appreciate all of the information.  It's interesting to see how each state differs on guidelines.  I personally think that the classification system has some validity.  It just seems like papers are sometimes too easy to come by on a steer that isn't really attached to those papers.  This leads into a pretty deep topic...I hope it doesn't get ugly! (lol)

JSchroeder said:
How old is the calf?

There was a clinic last year in Waco that provided great guidance to both classifiers and extension/ag teachers.  It provided pretty clear guidance for the majors.  I'm trying to find my notes from it for the Hereford breed but I just moved offices so it could be anywhere.  If I find it I'll let you know.

For those that don't know, papers are absolutely meaningless in Texas for Hereford steers.  They aren't checked and it's a waste to even get them.  The entire breed classification process is done via visual appraisal.

JSchroeder

An April calf might work for the State Fair but it would have a hard time in the majors.  Our majors are from late January through March and while I've seen a lot of Summer Herefords shown, April would be pushing it.

I'd go into more depth but I need to go kill some kittens and misguide kids into a life of crime ;)

Latest posts