Herf looking club calves-- ins and outs

Help Support Steer Planet:

kfacres

When do the Texans, and OK need calves born for for their shows- summers or fall borns?  Are these the only two places who classify, and not need papers?  Where do all the Herf looking cattle end up? 

If a guy had a bunch of old Herf cows- stout, thick, sound, good ole momma cows- but unpapered...  What would be a good bull to stick in them?  and make Herf marked club calves to send west and south?  I'm wanting something that will add POWER, look, and hair...  Was thinking of something TH Positive as well!!!! 

Heard of several bulls like this, but know nothing of them...  Red Rock, Carpe Diem, etc...

What do you think?  Would this be something worth pursuing? 

5VSC

If there not registered and good marked Herefords just AI to a pure breed hereford! You can register the steer calves, all they want is a pure sire and fallow the characteristics of the herford breed. All you need is a certificate and be a member of AHA

stangs13

Heat Seeker, and heat wave will throw herf colors! There are some pretty stout herf bulls out there now as well if you want to try that too.

mp

What happened to the nelson bull Hugh Herfner?

Show Steaks

he became a steer i heard.... carpe diem will get them the right color and look dang cool and actually not too bad calving. the hair was real thick and fuzzy if i remeber right

DLD

For most of the shows down here, August and September calves sell best.  Alot of people like to feed summer borns for Fort Worth - maybe all the way back to May, as long as they don't have too much grow.  I believe there are other shows in the southeast that classify visually as well.

They need to be really well marked to go to Texas - we're a little more lenient in Oklahoma, but they still need to look like a Hereford.  I'd recommend Carpe Diem and Cotton Mouth to get consistent quality and color/markings.  I haven't seen any Red Rocks yet, not impressed with what I've seen out of Herfwave.
You might get Hereford marked calves out of Heat Wave, Dr Who, or any number of other clubby bulls - but then again you might not... 

As far as whether it's a good idea or not, I'd say there's certainly potential there.  Marketing will obviously be a bit of challenge from that far away, but if you get some good ones and get the word out, they'll get here somehow.  I guess it depends on how serious you are, but if you really want to make it work, I'd suggest a trip to one of our majors this spring, so that you can see for yourself what it's going to take.

herf96

Been in the hereford club calf business for awhile.  It has changed drastically in the last 5yrs or so.  We have used Carpe Diem alot, the problem is the red goggle eye that he throws.  It will work in OK but not in TX.  Cattle are good and would not trade the females for anything.  If the cows are moderate and good necked and chested I would use Made Right.  Outer Limits is also a crossed up deal that will throw some style with not a lot of grow.  The list could get pretty long on do's and don'ts not enough time now to go through all the details.  Remember that alot of cattle that get kicked out at the majors in Texas are purebred.  You definitely need the hereford true markings.

kfacres

The cows that I'm talking about are purebreds-- but their any age from 6-10 and are either daughters or granddaughters of the original registered stock...  I could try to go through the rounds and try to paper them, but I don't know that the two original females, and the bull were ever transfer ed over to this guy...  I know anything he ever raised doesn't have papers though... The breeder that these cattle go back to is long gone and dead- so that's not an option to put the puzzle pieces together...  

Basically, what I'm saying is- that only the top side of the pedigree will be off...  I bottom side is purebred- just unpapered...  

I'm going to try and buy these cows- and see what I can do... they are already on a summer calving schedule, and we at home calve everything in the fall- so getting calves born the right time of year won't be that hard...  I have always driven by this fellow's place and admired his cattle for their substance, thickness, and eye appeal- "for being just cows" If you know what I mean...  

As far as the marketing, and getting them there- I'm not too worried about it...  I have my foot in the door already due to fall calving all of our Shorthorn club calves...  I just don't know enough about Herf's on my own... To me this seems like a great idea!

Back in my juco judging days I attended Houston and San Antonio- also hit up the Dixie National too!  Seem what it takes to win- only problem was I never did pay much attention to the Herfs, cuz I never saw one that was good enough to "catch my eye"  Just a bunch of narrow gauged animals who wouldn't cut or grade!!  and now look at what I'm wanting to do!!

herf96

Wow!  So I guess you will be the next person in line to raise the great hereford.  You need to reevaluate narrow gauged and quality in the hereford show.  Go to Ft. Worth and take a gander, look at the top end of the cattle there and then try to raise one of that caliber.  If and when you get consistant at it great, but I would check out Ft. Worth before talking about poor quality in hereford cattle.

carl s.

The reason you thought those steers were lacking is the steers you would have liked got classed out of Hereford.

Have fun in the AOB class.

the angus111

Hereford producers have come along ways to improve the breed.We are seeing alot of commercial guys in the area going back to what made them money, angus x hereford cross.those herefords can live on dirt and are fertile as they come.its those eyes and my experience has been pro lapse issues  that hurt them.rusty

carl s.

Which of the big name hereford operations do you feel is making the most progress?  LaGrand?  Remitall?  DeShazer?

the angus111

what about StarLake?I watch there sale every year and think I really ought to go,just too far.8 hours.genetics are great.its also entertaining listening to Sims. Rusty

herf96

I truly think that the most up and coming is neither of the three or four you have listed.  Hoffmans from Nebraska I would say is on top of that ball game in a big way look at the results from the past several Denver shows.  Deshazer i am not sure even exists anymore, Remitall has dispersed, LeGrand all I can truly remember out of that deal is Reload and Star Lake is always competitive.  Jasons program is top notch.  I still dont think any of those will raise a steer that will compete in the south ie. Ft. Worth.  They have more functional type of cattle and in most standards the best Hereford cattle around.  The hereford steer deal, has added muscle, bone, hair, balance in a hereford marked package.  I am not saying registered cattle cant compete in the steer business, but is dang tough just look around at the steers that are winning, and before anyone shouts some of the oldies look at what they are using to produce those club calves now, it dang sure aint purebred genetics.  Those listed are great breeders but back to the origninal post I just do not see them hitting a homerun consistently with purebred genetics in the south.

worthabit

We bred some cows to the Hereford bull stocker last year. These two calves are out of an all black cow (thought she was an unregistered angus) and a blue roan. Not sure if they will classify but he obviously keeps the Hereford look.

Attachments

• stocker2.JPG
    stocker2.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 182
  • stocker3.JPG
    stocker3.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 192
  • stocker4.JPG
    stocker4.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 213