Heritable Docility?.........AI Bulls Docility?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Steaks

What are some of the snottiest calve sired by?
What are the baby doll calves sired by?

Terrible expierence with stainless steel, yellow jacket(dang kicker from day one to terminal show), also not fond of hairy bear or hannibal. ...........Or the dang Limi feeders my dad bought out west  :-\ lol

Quietest calf ever was a BC Raven love that little girl  (angel) , also love about 98% of my step aside calves.

Whats your thoughts on the Quiet bulls and the Squirlly bulls?

box6rranch

My daughter showed a Man Child steer last year. He was the most stubborn steer in the entire world!!!! Couldn't get him to walk for anything. Even tried the whole donkey thing. Won't go down that road again. She's showing an Irish Wiskey and Mossy Oak this year. He walks much better but he's still kind of skidish. Not sure if it's because he really wasn't around people till he was weaned and halter broke or what. The calves that are born here are super calm but we start messing with them from birth.

kfacres

Never had a problem with any Shorthorn bulls.... or Jimmy the greek.

Have had serious problems with the Stainless Steels... 

My guesss, stay away from Char. crosses they tend to be nutty.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Gotta say something about this guy bashing the char cross calves, might be his experience but just got the wrong cross of genetics.  ALIAS CALVES HAVE BEEN GREAT FOR ME WHETHER THEY ARE SMOKE OR ALL BLACK, Carnac smokes are super nice, VANILLA Ice are also very good , Frictions are definitely skidish, nervous, got to have a little experience to make them work. The Kadabra smokes that I have had experience with are definitely  a little crazy,an I think that is what Stainless Steel is out of . Proably Kadabra is the cause the  donor we used him on has had great luck with other bulls.

red

we've had problems w/ Char cows being very aggressive at calving, other than that good mothers.

I really never had any bulls that I can say caused problems but my cows are mostly old show heifers. I have heard that Lucy Boy's (Angus) calves can be a handful.

I wish there was an EPD trait for disposition.

Red

GLZ

I have heard that Lucy Boy's (Angus) calves can be a handful.

Talking to a guy at the yards, they have long had the nickname Looney Bastard for Lucy Boy calves.

shortyjock89

I've messed with some Kadabras that are just fine, and some that would like to kill ya. 

The only Hairy Bear steer I ever messed with liked to kick.

Have been messing with a Dr. Who steer that would like to kill me and a few other people. 

Had a Gold Rush heifer that coulda kicked all day, but then one day she finally quit and now is the tamest bred heifer we have...

oakbar

We have a Dr. Who CharX heifer this year that is just a puppy to work with.   Our toughest calves to work with are generally more associated with the dam than the sire although we have had a few exceptions to that rule.   We have a Who Made Who  market heifer out of our wildest cow(not wild by commercial standards I suppose) that is also just great to work with.    We had a Salute calf out of one of our tamest cows last year that was a nut case from day one besides being 125# when he was born.   Her calf the year before out of a Maine bull was one of the tamest calves so you just never know!!

box6rranch

GLZ said:
I have heard that Lucy Boy's (Angus) calves can be a handful.

Talking to a guy at the yards, they have long had the nickname Looney Bastard for Lucy Boy calves.

We have a Lucy cow. Never could show her. She was a kicker like no other! Bred her to our pb shorthorn bull and got a really nice blue roan heifer who is a total sweetheart.

Throttle

both Hannibal and Manchild calves at our place have been nice to work with, along with Alias'. Full Flush bred cattle seem to be a little worse, as a general rule of thumb. Have had a couple real goofy Aftershock calves that turned into pretty aggressive Aftershock cows. Have had Heatseeker and HW calves tame as dogs and wild as snakes, not as consistent one way or the other. Seems to have as much to do with the cow as anything. Also, the ones that we pull are usually a little tamer in general, which I think is because we usually leave them in a box stall for at least the first 24 hrs and I mess with them a little. I think it has a lot to do with the early conditioning of the calves. The ones out of the goofy cows don't get much or any, cuz mama won't let it happen.

bcosu

oakbar said:
We have a Dr. Who CharX heifer this year that is just a puppy to work with.   Our toughest calves to work with are generally more associated with the dam than the sire although we have had a few exceptions to that rule.   We have a Who Made Who  market heifer out of our wildest cow(not wild by commercial standards I suppose) that is also just great to work with.    We had a Salute calf out of one of our tamest cows last year that was a nut case from day one besides being 125# when he was born.   Her calf the year before out of a Maine bull was one of the tamest calves so you just never know!!

second the who made who's being quite. we have a who cow who's calves are just super tame and quiet. they are extremely lazy as fat steers. i believe alot of the alias calves are tame cause he has some who in him. everything on our farm that goes back to who is real calm and quiet. had a show heifer a couple years ago out of direct hit and you can halter her now and she still walks into place and will just stand there for you. she is pretty calm. we have a carnac that is almost annoying to be around because she walks up to you and licks you and rubs on you no matter what you do.

we try and avoid the mean ones but we did have one angus cow that didn't mind going out of her way to keep you away.

redwingfarm

We have 3 Salute heifer that you have to push to get out of the way, and don't have something hanging out of your pocket or they will lick it away.  On the other hand we had a Heatwave steer last year that was not only nuts but mean as can be, he never made it to the show ring. 
As to breed we have found our shortys to be great to be around, our char-cross is a little nervous around the working chute but never a problem at calving time, we started with some chi-angus cross cows and it was a great day when they went on the truck.  Just plain mean.

okcc

I have had NUTCASES with EXT, Flush influenced cattle( even several generations back in pedigree), Kadabra, and hairy bear.
The gentle calves i had were out of or sired by: Paddy O'Malley, many Angus and herford bloodlines,heat wave and i know I'm leaving some out....

AAOK

Well, we all know that Chianina are crazy, and although many won't admit it, all Angus have at least a tiny bit of Chi.

Conclusion: If there is too much Chi or Angus in your calf, it has a good chance of being nuts.

kobo_ranch

Well most all our calves this year were out of Paddy Omalley, not sure of all the others sires out there--but out of the 12-15 calves I've actually had my hands on, most all of them I can tell are going to be very sweet!
Only been working a week or so and have 3-4 of of my baby boys are following me around the pen begging for a neck rub and butt scratch!  Sure hope we have this much luck next year.  THANKS to a few of the very nice SP members and advise, helped me tons in learning how to break and work with the calves!  Thanks guys!! (welcome)

bcosu

zach said:
hmmm both my calves are better than half angus and they are just stubborn. not mean. just stubborn knotheads, spoiled?

we have several angus and we have had some of both. most are real quiet and you can walk up and rub on the cows. some are a little stubborn going in the chute and such but they aren't crazy, just reluctant.

MYT Farms

AAOK said:

Well, we all know that Chianina are crazy, and although many won't admit it, all Angus have at least a tiny bit of Chi.

Conclusion: If there is too much Chi or Angus in your calf, it has a good chance of being nuts.

Not in my Angus. 7 frame Angus might have some Chi, but not mine. And I have some puppy dog Angus bulls, thank you very much. Although Angus can be snotty, THERE ARE MORE DIFFERENCES IN A BREED THAN BETWEEN BREEDS!!!!!!I I had some VERY gentle Char X calves last year. All my straight Angus are just great to handle.

shortdawg

My Vanilla Ice and Alias calves were broke to lead in a little over a week. All our JPJ calves were easy to handlem

OhShOwEr

Well, don't have any experience with char X calves, but we have a full flush cow that is a big baby, but you want to watch out for her calves..haha.  Have a heatseeker cow that is a bubble off sometimes when she is shut up in the barn, but all of her calves have been puppies to work with.  I am not real fond of the Hannibal steers, but his heifers that have been born here have been very gentle.  Love the Doctor Whos and Hard Cores as far as being docile.