Heritage heifer, DMH Cherry Blossom 2019

Help Support Steer Planet:

librarian

This is a bred heifer that I acquired because of the breeding on her dam. The dam is a DMH Maverick daughter out of a DMH Minn Max Leader daughter. Maverick and Max were both out of the Haumont Maid of Promise 189th cow. I wanted to keep the 189 cow influence and I think that plan is working out well. I’d like to breed her back to a Maverick son someday. https://shorthorn.digitalbeef.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=_animal&file=_animal&animal_registration=4289693

Attachments

• 32F61669-8DB2-46D5-B497-454FCB4332B9.png
    32F61669-8DB2-46D5-B497-454FCB4332B9.png
    576.2 KB · Views: 283

librarian

First time around she is bred to my red Galloway bull because his calves have been  so well shaped and vigorous. Maybe next year I will just let her run with her paternal half brother, DMH Felix just to see the result.

Attachments

• 6F5C66AC-5ADD-4FF6-ABC9-BC1710D53C89.png
    6F5C66AC-5ADD-4FF6-ABC9-BC1710D53C89.png
    645.4 KB · Views: 266

beebe

librarian said:
First time around she is bred to my red Galloway bull because his calves have been  so well shaped and vigorous. Maybe next year I will just let her run with her paternal half brother, DMH Felix just to see the result.

Nice cow,  I too like the 189 cow and am try to do some line breeding to her.

librarian

beebe said:
librarian said:

Nice cow,  I too like the 189 cow and am try to do some line breeding to her.
I like Maverick for that because he is a real cow maker from what I’ve seen. I wonder if that is a Perfect Count trait. The dam of DMH Snowflake was a 189 daughter...the only daughter I know of. I’d be interested to hear your opinion on the Haumont combination that made the 189 cow so good. I don’t really know much about the influence of their different families and what to look for in a Haumont pedigree.

unclebobo

Sex:  Cow Sire:  xCAM478724 ROSA'S C.B.M.T. 11
Name:  MELBA JEALOUSY 35C Dam:  *xCAAR22426 JSF JEALOUSY PAR 157X
Herd Prefix: Tattoo: IEL 35C
Shorthorn %:  SH95.929              THIS IS THE DAM OF HC NORTH OF 49- 50% HAMOUNT ALONG WITH A JUNGELS PAR COW THEN  AD HIS SIRE  THAT SHADYBROOKE BOUGHT THEN LOOK AT HIS NUMBERS -AS STRONG AS THE VERY TOP END OF  PERFORMANCE CATTLE DEPENDENT UPON HOW HE REALLY BREEDS COOL LOOKING AS ALL GET OUT TOO O0 O0

Duncraggan

What a magnificent heifer, tremendous depth! If she's as wide as she is deep, it would be an injustice to breed her to anything other than a Shorthorn!
Wish I was in N. America, I would be contacting you regarding genetics on this animal.
Use her wisely and good luck!

beebe

librarian said:
Beebe, since we are talking, check out this 3/4 Galloway 1/4 Shorthorn Bull calf. His maternal grand sire was my old Shorthorn Bull Amos. The sire is the same Red Galloway that the Cherry heifer is bred to.
I could see how Amos could be part of that.  He is a good soggy calf.

librarian

I’m still working on this. I was able to buy one of the Maid of Proise 189 sons, What A Surprise, by Weston Surprise 14th, from CSB Shorthorns in North Dakota. I also bought a Maid of Promise family cow by DMH BAXTER, a DMH Minn Max Leader son. Baxter’s dam is by DMH Private Selection, a Leader 21 son.

Attachments

• 49ED19A6-A336-456A-A62D-3932FFB5A72A.png
    49ED19A6-A336-456A-A62D-3932FFB5A72A.png
    532.1 KB · Views: 159

mark tenenbaum

Before he passed in the early 90s at close to 100 Harry McCan of  Belleview Farm Winchester Va was the oldest living Shorthorn breeder in the US and a couple years later the oldest cattle breeder in the US That herd of Shorthorns had existed since the Civil War or before I used to take him to various sales and events because people were afraid to let him drive which was humorous and dangerous at the same time He saw Avondale and alot of other important cattle He knew Albert Hultine and alot of very early breeders plus people like the  The Teegardens Leemons and Tieman  etc  He told me the turn of the century  cattle were entirely different than the belt buckle or later dual influenced cattle Big massive animals with short legs He  watched one of the very earliest Chicago shows-and the champion bull which was highly fitted for those days displayed what could be called a very early Steer jock trick When the judge slapped him champion- lard flew every where Thats how they filled in the gaps in those days No pumps etc O0