Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaimiediamond

Okotoks said:
aj said:
I know from now on my goal is raise bull calves that have 110# birth weight's.....cause look. They do it in Canada.....but wait theres more! ;D
You could always focus on raising bulls that people in Kansas wanted to buy. It would be a start!

If he were selling bulls to the Kansas commercial man I don't think aj would be so bitter about the cattle he is producing

RFL

scotland said:
yes Okotoks that is the right pedigree, only one duke of dublin representitive, Herbourne Grand Duke . The 2nd high seller is bred very similar.

Herbourne Grand Duke is the Duke of Dublin son I was commenting about earlier. If this is the bull I am thinking about, I was
at the Douglas Test Station sale in 1985 to see this bull. I don't remember exactly what his rate of gain was, but it was really good.
The bull was purchased by Harvey Fulton and I believe he was the high selling shorthorn bull that year.

I think this sale was fantastic. Some on here are always complaining about how shorthorns can't be sold to commercial producers, and then
when a shorthorn bull sells to a commercial black angus producer, they ridicule that. It's sickening.I think the first thing that should be said is
congratualations to the breeders that consigned bulls to this sale. Whether AJ thinks this is a good deal or not doesn't matter, there's a commercial
producer out there that thinks a shorthorn bull will benefit his program and he's willing to pay to get him. That's all the proof I need. 

This is the only thing I think a shorthorn breeder should be looking at. SHORTHORN BULLS SOLD AT GOOD PRICES TO COMMERCIAL CATTLEMEN.
$6,000 from a guy with black angus cows. That's great. That's a big plus, and let's all work on our programs to see if we can do the same,
and some positive things can happen in this breed. 

aj

I'm sorry.....it just looked so much like a infomercial. Mark H is right. THE BIG LESSON HERE FOR SHORTHORN BREEDERS IS PERFORMANCE SELLS. Commercial cattle men need to make a profit. Cattle are sold by the pound! The buyers have spoken load and clear! we need to be PERFORMANCE orientated. Cattle with 70 # bwt's have no place in the industry because their adg would be poor. The buyers obiously wanted PERFORMANCE cattle. Not those whimpy 70# er type. The non profit type. Cattleman need to hammer and hammer and BREED PERFORMANCE. Feedlot people need to make a profit. It puts food on their families. They have to have good average daily gains. Cause they get paid on the FINAL WEIGHT's. They take the total amount of dollars and subtract the expenses. Then the profit is that which is left. This is why feedlot people feed cattle sometimes is to make money. If you look at several Angus and Simmental sales....they do NOT have cattle with small bwt bulls. They want PERFORMANCE. Performance is King. Performance is money in the bank. Cattle ARE sold by the pound. I think the Canadian Shorthorn breeders are doing a great job. We do need to take heed and follow the example. For our families. For our future. For our finanaces and our freedom. jmo

thunderdownunder

aandtcattle said:
thunderdownunder said:
If a white, horned bull is good enough, he'll sell  ;) And generally if he's white and horned, well, he must have been good to escape the knife!
I agree with ya, if he escaped the knife he must be a good skamp!  But around here, even if a white horned bull was the most outstanding individual under the sun, he would sit there in my pasture until he was old enough to vote and I'd never get him sold.  There is a widespread case of colorblindness in western Nebraska.  It's hard enough for me to get my commercial guys to try red ones.  It is catching on and it's easier now than it ever has been but nobody's ready for a white one!

Same prob here with the white bulls, they are very hard to sell to a lot of commercial guys. However, we sold a very good white, horned bull a month ago for $6500 to a commercial weaner operation. They run Herefords and are looking to breed some good strawberry roans for the mountain calf sales. This bull was in at least the top 10% for all growth traits, weighed 1100kg at 2 years, with a 142 cm2 eye muscle area , 17mm and 13mm fat on the rump and ribs, and an ADG of 1.49kg/day. There is a market for white bulls, you just need to find it.

frostback

aj said:
The truth.....don't you just love these little orchestrated attempts of shameless self marketing and contrived advertisements. "But wait...theres more!" ;D

None of the posters on this thread own these bulls, and isnt any good info and high sales a GOOD thing for the breed? Does it not show potential buyers that want to start breeding shorthorns what may be accomplished?

justintime

There was a time here when white bulls were a hard sell, but they are very popular right now. I have had more inquiries about the to white bulls in our sale than I have for all the red bulls. Right now have probably tripled the inquiries for white and roan bulls compared to the red bulls. All the inquiries for the white and roan bulls has been from commercial producers except for one from purebred producer who has some loud colored heifers he would like to even the colors out on. White and horned used to be a kiss of death for a bull calf, but now, we actually have producers looking for them. Some guys with black cows in particular, like to infuse some horned genetics once in awhile. Last year I sold a horned bull to a commercial man who told me he would never use a polled bull again. His cows graze year round, and he said the polled females simply were not hardy enough for his environment.

scotland

This sale is a great lesson of bull marketing, supply a beef bull beast with performance and profitable traits,  from a test centre that knows how to develop bulls, add customers, old and new and its a great formula for success. I had 6 bids from my  buyers that were not on the mailing list for 2011, all out of country and/or province.Yes Shorthorns are on the move, these bulls are a credit to their breeders, they will get out and sire crossbred calves that will certainly make money for the producer, and leave terrific replacement females.

hamburgman

If I ever become a grouchy middle aged man who goes onto steer forums to run people down you guys have my permission to put me out of my misery.  Same goes for if I ever end up living in Illinois and not in Chicago.

kfacres

Here's the deal. 

A- I don't really give two rats nuts about what two old timing liars (ok story tellers) from Canada, and one of them's daughter's think about me, or a bunch of people on an online forum; especially when 90% of them gear their entire operation around producing, (or buying) one great, double or triple dirty carrier, hair ball, steer calf. 

B- Darned neared every Shorthorn animal in the USA possesses Trump in it's pedigree.  What does that exclude?  About a half dozen Candians, a Scotch, and a pair of Aussies that visit here.  And what do I know, I bet those operations and gone through the Trump ordeal as well.  As to the Amercian (USA) people who think I ridicule the great Trump himself...  I'll just leave it with- he is Trump, actions speak louder than words.  Yup he'll work from those who think he works. 

C-What we raise really is very little concern of anyone else's.  We produce what we need to generate a profit, and have the cattle pay for themselves- and put a little extra in the pocket...  Does color matter to me- not a bit; unless I am sending directly to the sale barn; and then they better be black. 

shorthorn 101

Ah The Truth

I think some people hit a nerve, with the reply you just gave it shows me you really do care!!! I think you protest too much. ;D  Us Canadians aren't all that bad when you get to know us. Aussies are the best you should get to know some!! <beer>
It is Steer Planet not Steer USA.

kfacres

shorthorn 101 said:
Ah The Truth

I think some people hit a nerve, with the reply you just gave it shows me you really do care!!! I think you protest too much. ;D  Us Canadians aren't all that bad when you get to know us. Aussies are the best you should get to know some!! <beer>

no people just don't get it.. This means nothing to me. 

jaimiediamond

"as one of them's daughters" I would like to point out that those two liars (I mean story tellers) didn't have any cattle in that sale. Infact they were just happy with the success the Shorthorns are seeing up here.  "the truth" is that these people love their breed and of course are proud of any success the breed earns. I should also mention the assumed "Scotch" is also a Canadian breeder whom has had success selling cattle internationally and again is HAPPY for other breeders success.

I shouldn't reply to you as obviously its a waste of time and energy, but I would like to point out you asked a lot of questions via private messages  about Canadian bloodlines.  Publicly I will say Jody have a game plan if you are breeding ShorthornxDairyxRed Angus all the power to you I won't judge; but don't judge my success and call my family and family friends liars.  

The only breed I see on the planet publicly bashing other breeders success within the breed is Shorthorns!  If the Shorthorns are such a bad choice that you need to cover them with a Angus to get what works in your region again all the power to you and your program but don't expect me to follow suite in my program.  As for the trump I haven't ever used Trump as my own breeding decision I am a purest, in fact my first Trump descended calf is coming this May and the cow only got bred that way as she was on a lease. With that said I am excited to see how that line works on my own who knows I might be converted :)

thunderdownunder

"the truth", you really need to take a look at your name and go and do your research. I'm not going to bother responding to the details of your post(s), as they really don't show any intelligence at all. However I do take offence at your generalisation of breeders (Canadian, Aussies), when you clearly have absolutely NO IDEA about our operations, cattle or bloodlines. Perhaps you should do some research.

What really upsets me is your personal attacks, on fellow Shorthorn breeders, who are extremely knowledgable and passionate about the breed. Their knowledge is something you can never aspire to achieve, which such a narrow minded view. There is absolutely no reason for you to get so nasty, on such a personal front. Whether you agree or disagree with what people have to say on here, there is no need to start bashing a person (and their integrity) just because they have the interests of the breed at heart and what to publicise the successes within the breed.

I sincerely hope you represent the minority of Shorthorn breeders in the US, because otherwise, I think I'll be spending all my time in Canada whenever I visit North America!

shorthorn 101 said:
I think some people hit a nerve, with the reply you just gave it shows me you really do care!!! I think you protest too much. ;D  Us Canadians aren't all that bad when you get to know us. Aussies are the best you should get to know some!! <beer>

kfacres

the truth said:
B- Darned neared every Shorthorn animal in the USA possesses Trump in it's pedigree.  What does that exclude?  About a half dozen Candians, a Scotch, and a pair of Aussies that visit here.  And what do I know, I bet those operations and gone through the Trump ordeal as well.  As to the Amercian (USA) people who think I ridicule the great Trump himself...  I'll just leave it with- he is Trump, actions speak louder than words.  Yup he'll work from those who think he works.    

reread this.. does this mean what you people think it means.. obviously, not..  What does this mean? Means that a HUGE % of the readers on here are from the USA.  I admitted that there are people from a few other countries.. Did this elude to anything negitive on your, or their operations... most certainly not.  Did I say that these other countries are using 'the bull'.. no.. but by guessing his "importance" in the states---  everyone has "tried" him out atleast once...  

This is negitive in zero ways, other than that Trump works to those who think he works.  

Obvisouly, I have been inquiring about some "other" operations, as the daughter stated above...  I've been inquiring about some Canadian bulls via AI though PMs and emails.  Somebody thinks that I need to just turn in the black bulls... but as I have already stated a million times- a few people on here have convinced me to try out some "different" shorthorn bloodlines first'''  A&T, RS, and Saskvalley to name a minority number...  I'll give them a legit chance, and from there... it might be black, or back to red...  

OK, one more time for those of you who seem to be confused with what we are doing...  We have a beef herd- which consists of Shorthorn, and Angus based cows.  They are bred AI to shorthorn bulls, and naturally to Shorthorn, Angus, or Red Angus bulls.

We also have a dairy operation, in which all of our heifers get bred to a Red Angus bull.  We keep the heifer calves back and market them as feeders into beef herds for either beef mama cows, or recips...  I plan to keep a few for my own purposes of both...

So I'm not sure where all the confusion comes from?  Is making Durham Reds against any rules?  Or is breeding our heifers to a proven calving ease bull also a problem?  Seems to me that a bunch of close minded, hard cases just look for something to rip me a new one over???  Maybe I'm wrong?  I just think everyone is jelous about our forward thinking, and need something to complain about.. since I naturally can find anything to "converse" about... 

PS... thanks jamiediamond and thunderdownunder.. lead by example..... only 11 more and I'll be in the negitive...  you  <rock>  any other takers?? I have a goal of getting the lowest karma available.. but people seem to not prelude to my wishes...  sorry, I had to let the cat out of the bag... 

kfacres

thunderdownunder said:
the truth, I really, really think you should go black!

I always heard that once you go black, you don't go back...

We have a Sept bull calf that is dammed by an Angus cow, out of a Shorthorn bull.. He's black, w/ a white pecker, and a slight bit of white in front of the nutsack.  Not really enough to call it "roan".  He'll be turned in with the cows next year, I plan to AI beforehand first.. but other than that... It's black all the way!

thunderdownunder

FYI, there is ONE breeder in Australia that has used Trump- this person got 2 calves by him, and let's say, they didn't go on.
There is currently a UK import, which is a Trump grandson, from a CCS Sterling II daughter, which is being used by two breeders. It will be interesting to see how this bull goes.

kfacres

thunderdownunder said:
FYI, there is ONE breeder in Australia that has used Trump- this person got 2 calves by him, and let's say, they didn't go on.
There is currently a UK import, which is a Trump grandson, from a CCS Sterling II daughter, which is being used by two breeders. It will be interesting to see how this bull goes.

sweet... about how many Shorthorn breeders are in AU, with how many head? 

Sounds like Trump wasn't a hit down under....  Maybe they are smarter than the rest of the world?  Or they just didn't have access to his juice---?  Eitherway, great for them.. They don't have the problems of the USA?!

Status
Not open for further replies.