Hometown Sports

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

Winters are long here.  Football is over.  Do any of you live in a small town where the winter time social center is the high school basketball game?  That's the way it is here.  We are up to 2 games a week, keeps us on the run but it is alot of fun.  We get the small town rivalries, games get very loud!  (Think I have some hearing loss!)  My kids are in it now, but we always try to watch other kids we know play too.

We know that DL and Red are big hockey fans.  Are there local teams you can watch in person??

TxAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I follow our college BB teams, Kansas State Wildcats and Kansas Jayhawks.  I had a brother go to Kstate and a sister go to KU, but I always root for the Wildcats when they face each other.

red

Columbus Blue Jackets Hockey, DL turned me onto hockey earlier. I have to say it's pretty adictive!
Of couse the Ohio State mens' & women's basketball teams are doing great too!

Red

brahmergirl

Austin,

I knew you were allright!  Anyone who is a Powercat fan is a good person ;D  We are a house divided also.  My brother graduated from KU with his Law degree and my son and I are big 4-H'ers so we support K-State and he hopes to go to vet school there someday. 

mlk32

We live close to a town with a hockey rink so we get a chance to see high school and college hockey live and in person!  High school hockey in Bowling Green, Ohio is a very lively sport, to say the least.

My brother lives close to Columbus and the Buckeye hockey team has a birthday promotion.  My 10 year old nephew and 10 of his friends get to attend a game, have a suite for a party AND get to meet Brutus the Buckeye for a very reasonable cost. Great way to help generate interest in the next generation of hockey fans.

genes

Long winters mean long hockey season and that is good enough for me  ;D  I go to a few Junior games but not tons, but we watch on TV all the time here.

red

Genes what about curling? Isn't that Canadian thing?
Amish Ice Hockey, now that is a thrilling sport! (lol)

Red

justme

I live in a county of 1200 people with 1 highschool.  We play 8 man football here. WOW people live for it.  I'm an Ohio transplant into Missouri so 8 man football was a shock.  People follow the basketball games close too, but our football team went to state again this year so the guys started the season 2 days after the state finals.  Were tough but seems like when the football team is successfull the basketball team suffers.  Believe it or not TRACK (I couldn't believe it) ecspecially girls track is big here.  Our girls have won state the past 4 years (I think...I maybe off a year of two)

genes

Curling...Curling  :eek:  I had a bad experience.    Just kidding, mostly.  I think it's one of those things that is pretty fun to do, but not to watch (not for me anyway).  Like not nearly as bad as golf, but same idea.

Flipping channels I saw paintball on TV.  Yeesh.... ::)

cowz

justme said:
I live in a county of 1200 people with 1 highschool.  We play 8 man football here. WOW people live for it.  I'm an Ohio transplant into Missouri so 8 man football was a shock.  People follow the basketball games close too, but our football team went to state again this year so the guys started the season 2 days after the state finals.  Were tough but seems like when the football team is successfull the basketball team suffers.  Believe it or not TRACK (I couldn't believe it) ecspecially girls track is big here.  Our girls have won state the past 4 years (I think...I maybe off a year of two)

Your high school sounds like ours.  Only 90 kids in high school.  Whats nice is that any kid with an interest WILL get to play.  Usually, most high school kids letter varsity.  We play 8 man football.  Believe it or not we have a few neighboring schools that play 6 MAN FOOTBALL.  Now folks, if you ever get a chance to watch a high school 6 man football game, do NOT pass up the opportunity!  You have a passer and a receiver and the rest of the team is one seething scramble!!!

The whole town shows up for basketball.  It gives the old guys down at the gas station something to discuss all week.  Last week, the coach from the opposing rivalry team blew up at the ref., wouldn't be quiet, got 3 technicals, had to go sit on the school bus until the game was over.  You  would have thought it was Christmas to get 6 extra free throws and something for all grandparents to talk about!!! ;D

Track is very popular here.  Kids have to make the choice between baseball and track.  We run a mixed baseball team here.  (Boys and girls play together.) Some of our best players are the gals.  The current item for discussion is if we will ever uncover the snow on the baseball field!

red

Our local football team made national news last year when several players put a deer decoy in the middle of the road. Two boys hit it & were seriously injured. The judge sentenced several  of the boys to time in a juvenile facility but not till after the football season was over. Caused a national uproar. Funny thing is that the one or two of the boys were kicked off the team for drinking in the end anyway.
Red