Houston Travel/entertainment advice needed

Help Support Steer Planet:

common sense

We are going to Houston for a long weekend getaway.  I love to drive around and get a taste of the local "flavor".  I don't like the touristy places.  I am looking for the unusual and fun things to see and do.  Does anybody have any advice?  I would really appreciate the input! (clapping) And it doesn't bother me to drive a pretty good distance.

justme

OK I'm so jealous that I could cry.....I cann't remember the last time I had alone time with hubby

reno1014

Katy Mills Mall is just outside of Houston...Great Bass Pro Shop!

chambero

Lots of things to do:

Go to Galveston - an old Texas coastal town.  Eat at "Guidos" right on the beach.  About 30-40 minutes south of Houston.

Go to the Johnson Space Center - actually pretty cool whether you have kids along or not.

Go to the Battleship Texas and San Jacinto Battlefield Memorial (where we whipped the Mexicans and got independence).  They used to have a nice restaurant there but its been a long, long time since I've been.

My wife loves to go to the Galleria Mall during the stock show.

I'm assuming you will be there during the show.  We usually don't bother with rodeos, but Houston's is one of a kind if you haven't been.

common sense

justme said:
OK I'm so jealous that I could cry.....I cann't remember the last time I had alone time with hubby

Did I say Brad?  (lol)  Just kidding!  Yeah, happy birthday to me!  I guess four years pays off sometimes. (clapping)

common sense

chambero said:
Lots of things to do:

Go to Galveston - an old Texas coastal town.  Eat at "Guidos" right on the beach.  About 30-40 minutes south of Houston.

Go to the Battleship Texas and San Jacinto Battlefield Memorial (where we whipped the Mexicans and got independence).  They used to have a nice restaurant there but its been a long, long time since I've been.

I'm assuming you will be there during the show.  We usually don't bother with rodeos, but Houston's is one of a kind if you haven't been.

Guidos!  That sounds interesting.  I love that idea.  Thanks!!  Also thought about the rodeo.  Have been to the stock show a lot but never the rodeo.  Not planning on doing any shopping... (angel)

chambero

Guidos is an old seafood restaurant in town - its not an oyster bar or beach dive.  Kind of nice but not terribly expensive - probably 30-40 a head if I remember right.  The crab cakes are great.

The Houston Rodeo is pretty good for a large rodeo.

sawboss

When are you planning on being in Houston?  I live in 130 miles NE of Houston in the deep Pineywoods, Nacogdoches TX. the oldest town in Texas.  We have a 20 mile Azalea Trail that is awesome.  The Old Stone Fort, early Spanish mission is located in the center of town.  If you have never been in this part of Texas I recommend it as an alternative drive home, loaded with huge National Forests and the blooming Azaleas and Dogwoods are great.  If interested PM me and I can give you directions on the best way to this area and return home route.  Also it is crawfish season and they are wonderful little critters to eat.  We call them Ditch Bugs, we are only 90 miles from the Louisiana state line so we also have a Cajun flair this time of year.  Have fun on your trip, but in my opinion Houston is like any other big city, too fast of a pace for me.

red

I'm w/ Justme! a get-away sounds great. all ours revolve around cattle shows/sales. I shouldn't complain, at least it's a get-away!

Red