How do you cope w/ pain?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

OK gang, help old Red out here. I've been in terrible pain for about a week. Usually have bad leg pain but this has been the worst. Can't sleep, can't sit for long. Walking hurts. It's like my muscles are totally knotted & stabbing, throbbing. Plus they go numb & start tingling. I take a serious pain medicine but cutting back on it some. Just don't want to go through the dependency thing. I also take Requip at night & have been taking it during the days some too. That helps a little. Plenty of viamins & calcium too taken.

How do you control pain? Any yoga practiciers out there? I think Common Sense once told me she has the thing that hangs her up side down? Any ideas beyond pain pills? SRU, I know you're having trouble w/ pain too. Any help?
I see the doctors next week so getting checked out from head to toe.

Red :'(

knabe

deep massage?
acupuncture?
video games to get the endorphin rush going without getting mad?
dark chocolate?

justme

Knabe when I seen you post I was worried you were going to suggest she come to CA to visit one of those shops that sell medicinal marijuana lol  Just sat here and giggled to myself

gocanes719

I would suggest you try Monavie.  It helps people deal with everyday aches and pains and it is great for you.  i can get you a bottle if you are interested.  I was very skeptical when I started drinking.  I broke my foot last year and I was still experiencing quite a bit of pain, I don't have it anymore. 

knabe

i have a neighbor who drinks that.  at the same time he gave up chewing snuff and high fructose corn syrup.  he lost a little weight.  it's another multilevel marketing scheme with no trial based evidence of benefit by independent researchers.

you could have your husband try a blind experiment

have him buy the stuff and without you seeing the color, also buy some juice at trader joes or some other outlet that has 100 percent juice with similar color.

drink each for 1 month at recommended volumes of it.

have him take notes and rate some symptoms you think you can rate.

plot them on a graph, and see how the plot goes (the data, not the scheme)

think of it like an experiment in the news recently about wine and how people thought the more expensive the wine was the better it tastes.

get back to us and report.

we could also have someone else do the experiment, except reverse the order red takes them.

one could then repeat this for a number of people.  this would be a good start to a real study, though not a real double blind study as the people giving the juice would know and their actions may influence data collection and responses from drinker.

Jill

I have horrible headaches and have tried everything, when nothing else helps Hyrocodone usually gets it done, but it is difficult to function on it.  I have often thought of acupuncture, but just haven't gotten over the sticking little needles in me thing.
Knabe, Just Me seems to have forgotten we are not supposed to talk about illegal drugs on this forum, thank you for remembering. :-*

mechanic

Red: I have had a bad back for years now and have found that acupuncture is absolutely amazing. I go once every month or as needed. You don't even feel the needles. It takes 20 minutes to have it done and after my back feels good with less pain. The other thing I have is a TENS unit. It puts electrical impulses into the muscles to increase a person's natural endorpins. I am not sure that you would be able to use this with a pace maker. Hope the pain starts to subside because I have been ther and it is not fun.

Mechanic

Jill

My husband has had a bad back for years, he has had the TENS unit, the incline table, epidural and the whole 9 yards, they have him on some pain blockers but he has never tried the acupuncture route, he also now has plantar fasciitis in his feet, we may have to give the acupuncture a try.

KDSC

Jill said:
I have horrible headaches and have tried everything, when nothing else helps Hyrocodone usually gets it done, but it is difficult to function on it. 

I also get really bad head aches, and I use hydrocodaine, and yes it is really hard to do anything once you have taken it, but i normally cut the pill in half, and I can  still work, and my headaches is pretty much gone, It doesnt last as long either so :'(

My aunt also has the TENS unit and she uses it for her ankle, that gives her a terrable time( probally because she runs 5 miles day) but she realy likes it :'(

gocanes719

knabe said:
i have a neighbor who drinks that.  at the same time he gave up chewing snuff and high fructose corn syrup.  he lost a little weight.  it's another multilevel marketing scheme with no trial based evidence of benefit by independent researchers.

you could have your husband try a blind experiment

have him buy the stuff and without you seeing the color, also buy some juice at trader joes or some other outlet that has 100 percent juice with similar color.

drink each for 1 month at recommended volumes of it.

have him take notes and rate some symptoms you think you can rate.

plot them on a graph, and see how the plot goes (the data, not the scheme)

think of it like an experiment in the news recently about wine and how people thought the more expensive the wine was the better it tastes.

get back to us and report.

we could also have someone else do the experiment, except reverse the order red takes them.

one could then repeat this for a number of people.  this would be a good start to a real study, though not a real double blind study as the people giving the juice would know and their actions may influence data collection and responses from drinker.

There are over 300,000 medical articles written about the benfits of eating fruits.  If that is not research I don't know what is.  Monavie was also profiled on Rachel Ray's show last week. 

dori36

red said:
OK gang, help old Red out here. I've been in terrible pain for about a week. Usually have bad leg pain but this has been the worst. Can't sleep, can't sit for long. Walking hurts. It's like my muscles are totally knotted & stabbing, throbbing. Plus they go numb & start tingling. I take a serious pain medicine but cutting back on it some. Just don't want to go through the dependency thing. I also take Requip at night & have been taking it during the days some too. That helps a little. Plenty of viamins & calcium too taken.

How do you control pain? Any yoga practiciers out there? I think Common Sense once told me she has the thing that hangs her up side down? Any ideas beyond pain pills? SRU, I know you're having trouble w/ pain too. Any help?
I see the doctors next week so getting checked out from head to toe.

Red :'(

I think the key to your question is getting checked out.  It's hard to alleviate pain when one doesn't know what's causing it.  Hope  you can pinpoint a cause and go forward from there.

KDSC

OHHHHH DEHYRDRATED :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: dont even wish that on someone you hate, I was in the hospital on Monday from being dehyrdrated. the nurses couldnt see my vains so they just started poking me with that BIG A$$ IV needle, after they poked me 5 times they hit a vain and I was there for 6 hours geting  liters of water and a liter of meds, and I am on differnt pills( i also have strep, an ear infection, a nasual infection, and pnemniua(sp) ) so it SUCKS

AAOK

Red,
I'm a freak of sorts; haven't missed a day of school or work since the first grade when I had Measles.  That was almost 50 years ago.  Oh, I get the sniffles once every few years, but don't even know what a stomach ache or pain is.

But..........I've had knee surgery, broken both hands, broke my tail bone, ankle, and once impacted a bunch of discs in my lower back.  For many years now, when I get out of bed in the morning, I moan, groan, and limp my way to the coffee pot.  Two years ago next month, I had back surgery for two herniated discs. I'm a wreck!  

I got into Yoga first, then Pilates, then Free Weights, and now Walk/Run.  I still hurt all over in the mornings, but after after 30 minutes of Yoga/Pilates, and then 30 minutes of Strength Training, I feel better than I'll bet most of the other AARP members on this board.  Really, I'm great for the day after my workout.  I do a 3 mile Run/Walk three evenings a week.  I used to have high blood pressure too, but that's gone now.  The Yoga and the Pilates are the secret.  The weights and the walking are just so I can keep eating like I did when I was a kid.  Stretch, stretch, stretch, and then stretch some more.

I'm going to pitch the Total Gym.  I've had mine for two years.  It offers much more control than free weights, and a whole other realm of exercise.  Pilates fits in great with the Total Gym.  

DL

Jill said:
I have horrible headaches and have tried everything, when nothing else helps Hyrocodone usually gets it done, but it is difficult to function on it.  I have often thought of acupuncture, but just haven't gotten over the sticking little needles in me thing.
Knabe, Just Me seems to have forgotten we are not supposed to talk about illegal drugs on this forum, thank you for remembering. :-*

Last I knew neither knabe nor just me were considered food animals - I could be wrong

red

Last night was the first night I've gotten a good sleep. I did use a heating pad most of the night. Also took some Tylenol PM so maybe that helped too.
Thanks Malinda for the call, I'll be sure to leave the light on for you! I am going to talk to my dr about Neurontin. I never had this problem when I was on it for seizures. am sure the doesage will be much lower.

Jill, I hate headaches too. With mine I throw-up & just hide in the dark. I've been known to just scream it hurts so bad.

I think the biggest reason for the pain right now is cutting back on the pain meds. How do you handle those w/ working & machinery?

thanks all!
Red

justme

DL said:
Jill said:

Last I knew neither knabe nor just me were considered food animals - I could be wrong

LOL let me clear this up.  I just seen a program on nightline or something about the legalization in CA for these shops.  During it I laughed because I expected Knabe to pop up.  I'm not saying he's a druggy.  I just picture Knabe as a "hippy" at heart.  I probably shouldn't have posted it and I'm sorry if anyone thought that I was really thinking Knabe or Red would use an illegal drug.

knabe

i've posted here that i did use illegal drugs when i was a kid, but don't anymore.  i am not offended by "just me's" comment.  i found it interesting mine was the only post regarding humans in that other thread regarding  drugs.  goes to show how i missed that one.  drugs basically wasted about 5 years of my life and i have been playing catch up ever since.  i feel about 28 in my accomplishments.  i'm 48.  i was never really a hippie, heck i've never liked the beatles and didn't have beatle boots during that era.  elvis is a good example of abusing legal drugs and losing control of his persona.  i find it interesting that today's generation basically have no hobbies, as hobby stores are dying, yet we have more population.  you could even get in trouble unrelated to drugs with supplies at hobby stores if you got creative (not the glue, or real dope, which was paint for paper airplanes). 

time wasted on drugs is time not used on gaining knowledge or getting better at something compared to your own progress, as well as others through competition.  it's also time wasted when you could be playing spades or hearts, pinochle, or rook, cribbage, marbles etc with the family.  drugs, in general, lower the bar for your expectations of yourself, which, i understand is comforting, as it validates an ever lowering spiral of expectation, and corners you into looking at the world through other's eyes, ie paranoia.

hippie at heart.  maybe in some definitions.  we used to have lots of communes here in the bay area during the 60's, and i mean lots of them.  most were squatters.  the exceptions to drugs ruining their lives became successful and are used to rationalize abuse doesn't hurt anyone.  this is similar to the rationalization that becoming too involved in sports cuz i'm gonna make it to the pros and to heck with you.  i didn't like the communes, as they took the drive out of everyone.  others think of hippies in a different context, as being hip.  when i was young, i didn't fit in, most people say that, including the ones that fit in in other people's eyes.  when you are young, you are constantly battling with this weakness of trying to fit in as a replacement for developing your brain.  i do have a soft side for the exceptions to the rule, ie i like hendrix, joplin, don't like joe walsh.  music is a horse i don't understand too much, other than what is played today is not music.  music is repeated scales, music today is basically a 3 note scale repeated verrrry slowly without chords.  so lame, no wonder no one's buying it anymore.

again, no offense, just me.

kanshow

Glad you got a good nights rest.   I used to get the headaches - had a really tough time with them about 4 or 5 years ago.  I do take daily med to keep them away.. don't know if its that or learning how to deal with stress better.   As far as constant pain... thankfully I don't suffer but my mom has some major issues with it and my 75 year old formerly very very active FIL has become almost housebound with it this winter.   I feel for anyone who suffers...