how long for AI cows to be over Due?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sterling

First time we have AI'Ed... What is the norm for them to go over their due date?  We had one go a week but now there are a few that have gone almost a week and a half.  Just a little concerned.  Thanks

fed_champions

i would give it another week, humans may go a month sometimes, and their cycle is pretty close to us

jamesgang892

We always use the two week rule. They can calve two weeks before or after thier due date. Anything outside of those dates we consider it a clean up bull.

Show Heifer

Using logic, if the cycle of a cow in 21 days, and they can go 2 weeks early or 2 weeks late, then I would say about 10 days late. Anything after that COULD be an 10 day early bull bred. 
Or, you can use the "if it is good, it is AI, if its average, it is bull" theory. Lots, lots of people do that. (I'm not say ing that is right, but how could all these "pedigree mistakes" happen?)

Bulldaddy

After two weeks I would take her to the vet.  We had a cow go over about 18 days one time and her calf came backwards.  The vet thought the position had something to do with the late delivery.  It is a rule of thumb that late calves are most always bull calves so be ready for that.

mooch

Twenty days late on a Maine cow a couple yeasrs ago. She was bred to Golden Child.Knew she was starting to calve but figured it was the calving ease Angus bull so went to a sale and had my wife watch her . Wasn't very popular when she saw huge white feet coming . Took the vet and the neighbor most of the day to get him out . He didnt make it , weighed around two .Some how she was all right.

SPL

We had 3 Mossy Oak embryo calves all come late a few years ago.  First was 1 week late, second was 2 weeks late, and third was 3 weeks late.  On the last one, I just figured the recip didn't catch, and we'd get a calf by the clean up bull, but when we pulled a 125 pound calf that looked just like the other 2 we were certain it wasn't by the clean up bull.

OH Breeder

I use to worry every year about this and have had some absolute disasters. This works for me so take it for what its worth. I have. Check every fall. My vet is excellent with cattle as he grew up on a dairy farm. He gives me expected gestation. Ad time grows close there is enough of us we watch cows 24/7 so we usually have a good idea who cleaned up bull. I have my AI due dates up posted. If one looks exceptionally big or goes over 7 days we palpate and if I am freaked out after that the vet palpates. If he feels we are over we induce and keep watch. We calbe 12-15 cows a year so 1 or 2 dead ones hurt the bottom line. This process has worked exceptionally well. Yes we have had a couple of C-sections $$$ but except for abortions we have improved mortality rates considerably. So have a vet take a look at her and see what his thoughts are if you trust ur vet. JMO

Dale

Some bulls sire calves that stay in the cow longer (such as Dividend, Shorthorn bull). One AI calf was 3 weeks late back when extreme growth was the top priority. Even though we select for cows that have a large pelvis and seldom pull a calf, we changed to bulls that sire shorter gestation periods.