how many do you have?

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

Hi i was wondering how many cows every one has. and do you do cattle full time or part time? do you do farming also? (cow)

shortdawg

We have about 40 and farm 1350 acres of cotton, tobacco, peanuts, corn, watermelons, and cantaloupes.

farmboy

we have 13 cows and a bull on 70-80 acres with 11 calves. Next year were going all AI. we dont farm anything but our garden and have chickens, turkeys, guines, and did have ducks. Most of our chickens are of the banny variety  ;D

SKF

We have about 40 and it is just a hobby.

Telos

I now have a 1/2 flush right interest in one cow of which I think is a very good. Have partnered on numerous cows in the past. Owned as many as 13 cows at one time.

Have zero acres. Own my own property in the city. I will always have an interest in 1 or 2 cows to help keep me connected in more ways then one. Wish I had my 13 cows again, along with some acres.

Like all breeds of cattle, but do have my favorite breeds.

As a chef, cook with 100% agriculture products of which I have a great respect. Love to cook beef. Favorite food to eat--American fed beef.

Jill

We have 49 cows most of which are x show heifer that we have collected and 1 bull.  We do cattle part time (some parts of the year are more time than others) we make our living in the construction industry.

Show Heifer

I have 40 cows, and 60 sheep. A family farm that has been in the family for over 120 years that is 400 acres of both pasture and row crop. I make money with the livestock, but really just do it for fun. Make the majority of my money in the livestock industry speaking with producers.

ROAD WARRIOR

We usually run 90 to 120 head of purebred females depending on my mood at culling time and when I pick replacement heifers. Most everything I do is cow related.

cattlejunky

16 cows, 1 bull, 9 babies.  We AI and use our bull as clean-up.  70 acres.  We do custom hay bailing.  Stopped crops this year so my husband could spend more time with cattle.
Make our living from the transportation business.

justme

we run about 30 cows, give or take a few depending on the year.  We have one bull, but use him for cleanup after AI.  We run Mainly Maine anjou cows and Maintainers.  First year having a maintainer bull.  We run about 150 acres of hay.  No row crops.  My husband works off the farm and I do embroidery.

We also have 3 sheep, 2 horses, Bindonkidonk the donkey  ;D, 2 corgis (puppies on the way), and a lab

chambero

Current Family Inventory

169 matures cows (3 yr+)
49 bred heifers that are about to start calving
67 yearling replacement heifers
13 bulls

My father-in-law (71) takes care of them full time.  My wife and I own 19 cows ourselves (not counting show calves in the barn) and help him take care of the rest.  About 1/3 of the cows are unregistered angus and the rest are crossbred with Maine, Simi, and Chi in them somewhere.

Showcalves

We run between 300 and 350 mature cows at any given time.  We buy and retain bred heifers each year and cull out some of the older cows.  We run them with fil and bil.  Most of them summer at our farm and then about 200 or so go back to their place for the winter.  Dh works a town job, I'm here on the farm but also homeschool our sons.  Fil and bil are on the farm full time. 

Melinda

justintime

We bred 221 females  this year. Mostly purebred Shorthorn but also have 30 black cows ( some purebred Angus and some Maine/Angus). The black cows are used for recips and also for some club calves. There are also 6 purebred Charolais cows left from the 100 purebred Chars we dispersed 4 1/2 years ago. We used to run between 300 - 350 cows, but decided to cut back some, and dispersed our Charolais. I am planning to cut back some more as I have proven to myself that I can generate as many dollars off the top 10% than I can off the bottom 30 %. My dad, who is 82 still helps almost everyday.

AAOK

Herd Total = 0.  47 Acres, but used to have 54.  Once had a whopping 15 cows, and had to feed 365 days a year.
All high % Maine-Anjou Show calf cows until the last few years.  We bred for heifers, and sold most bulls for breeding.
I sold out last monyh to Clint Blackwell, Venus, TX; 9 cows, 7 babies, 2 show heifers, and 1 bull.  He can't afford to keep
all of this year's calves, so you Texas folks need to check in with him asap.  He has some fantastic Cows which have produced
a few incredible calves.

Dan

jimmyski

We run about 150-200 head of commercial cows depending on the year, quality of replacement heifers and the amount of available forage. Pretty much Red Angus based, although, the neighbors bulls have contributed some different colors in their as well. If the heifers are good enough, we'll keep them no matter what color they are. They are all bred to Red Angus bulls and as of right now it's more of a hobby for me since I'm still in Grad School, but I look forward everyday to returning home and taking it over in a few years (Not big enough to support 2 families at the current time w/o me or my father working a 2nd job).

cowz

Please do not think this post is snotty or condescending or anything negative at all.  Since we were discussing the code of the west recently, I thought I would throw this in!

I am going to tell you about a "regional" thing....which I think exists only west of the Mississippi.  Cattle people in the western states take it as EXTREMELY RUDE to be asked how many cows you run or how many acres you own.  It equates to asking what your current bank balance is or what color underwear you have on.  Out here it is just a matter of ranch etiquette not to discuss it.  Once you get to know someone, that info is apparant.

We have a lot of east coast people coming out here.  They ask this  all the time.  I just sweetly smile and say....Just enough to make ends meet. 

Hope you guys have a great day!