How much should I sell this bull for?

Help Support Steer Planet:

everybreedcounts

He is a 5 1/2 year old registered Miniature Hereford bull. I am trying to sell him and I can't decide on a price. I want to be reasonable but still make money. Also, just in general, what is the rule of thumb when selling older animals, cows and bulls? Does their value dramatically decrease? I figure it should for cows because once they hit a certain age their production goes down hill. I'm fairly new to the selling part of the cattle business and just need some suggestions......I tried to get a picture with his head up but he loves eating....

Attachments

• bull.jpg
    bull.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 20131211_140721.jpeg
    20131211_140721.jpeg
    890.9 KB · Views: 330

knabe

What's the point of miniature cattle?  Can you eat them or are they sort of a pasture/companion thing that is a lower feed budget?

Limiman12

Point is smaller framed lower maintenance cattle that require less feed to reach finish....

As for pricing the bull, yes a five and half year old bull will be worth a lot less the a yearling for the same reason a cow value goes down.  He likely only has a couple years left of being able to cover cows.  We bout a five year old bull that was pretty good (had been successfully shown and was a well known ai sire)  for a about five hundred over pound price.  Owner was going to pound him out cause she had no more use for him and with semen being available people didn't need him......  Just depends on the market, but market plus what you think one calf crop out of him is worth and work from there.

DiamondMCattle

What's his pedigree?

Knabe: The cuts on Miniature's are actually a more appropriate portion size than you would see on a typical steer. We try to market the beef as being able to get a whole beef instead of just a half, and still use up about the same amount of space in your freezer. Also I've been raising mini's for quite awhile and I've never known of any one have a prime rib cut off of one so that is an interesting question.

DiamondMCattle

Also everybreedcounts, If you have a couple cows or heifers that you would also like to sell you might have better luck trying to sell them as a starter package.

Telos

Your bull looks very nice. Really like the landscape on the lower picture as well.

Mini's would be the perfect freezer beef for me. On the primal cuts, if too small, just cut thicker.

In general is their fertilty and mothering ability comparable to other larger breeds? They look very perportional. Just smaller in scale.

Branded products if promoted correctly can be very lucritive. The fact that these Mini Herefords are more in line to a modern family's freezer would be a geat starting point for a promotion campaign..

LLBUX

Very nice bull.

Gotta agree that a bull/cow package deal might be the best way to go. 

Like my Belties, there is a limited market, but he does have value.  I bought a show-proven 5 year old Beltie bull last year for $1800.  He weighs about 2200 so I got him at a good price.

Does the Hereford Association have a website that will help you sell him?  I have had great success using the Beltie.org website.

Good luck sir, he looks too good to go to town.

BTDT

knabe - You seem to be laughing at miniature cattle.  If I were you, I would do a little research before I made a fool of myself.
Mini's have a lot of advantages that traditional cattle do not.
1. Easy to handle - beginners and elderly folks can safely handle a majority of these cattle. Making them marketable.
2. Smaller = less acres per cow - With land being at a premium price, you can run more head per acre so pounds per acre is actually a bit higher than traditional cattle
3. Carcass quality and size - While the steaks you mentioned might be smaller, many high end restaurants are putting a premium on smaller steaks because they are more easily marketed to the "eat out crowd".  Same price as a huge steak only smaller portion.
    A. With higher beef prices, families are also looking for smaller portions of protein. They do not want to eliminate but can not afford those "16 inch ribeyes" you seem to be proud of.
    B. Lets face it, eating a pound of beef at a meal is bad for your health. So again, a smaller portion size is better and therefore more marketable.
    C. Smaller carcasses allow young, small, or elderly families to purchase an entire beef without sacrificing any cuts, but at the same time, allow them to store it at home in a freezer, and afford it.
4. They make GREAT beginning show projects for new youth.
5. Their size allows more people to use them as "backyard" livestock, and therefore raise their own food. While you may think this is bad, I say, "Great, now you might understand what a livestock producer goes through."

To answer the original question: Yes, his value has decreased, but marketing him as a "starter package" is a good idea, as is marketing him to an elderly producer, or someone who has a bunch of heifers to breed.  You might also consider selling him to a FFA/youth group who have a school or youth project.  Donating him to such a group might also be something to consider.

Good luck. He is a nice looking bull.

knabe

BTDT said:
knabe - You seem to be laughing at miniature cattle.  If I were you, I would do a little research before I made a fool of myself.

Asking questions is foolish and projection is always correct. I doubt there is much of a market for a 16" ribeye.

RyanChandler

He looks much better than what I expected when I clicked on the link.  Surely someone around you could use him as a heifer bull or maybe even over some big framey Brahma cows--- if he could reach that is.

As for his price, I have no idea what it would be in the purebred min Hereford market but for the uses I listed above--to keep him from becoming someone's dinner --you might have to take $15-1800.

obie105

I sold a regular sized Hereford last spring that was 5 years old for $2000. He would have pry pounded out for $1600 at the time. Location also has something to do with it to. I know the mini deal has really taken off in Iowa. Beef Expo this year will even have a state sponsored sale. They are also allowing them to show for points now. I know this year a mini herf steer was a top ten year end market animal.

Duncraggan

Without you having mentioned that he was a mini, without a reference point for size, I would not have known, he is a good animal.

Nice rounded hindquarter, good through the loin area and showing good masculine characteristics.

I would go with the package deal mentioned previously, him, together with one/two pregnant females, preferably not related.

I am personally not sold on the smaller cow/smaller area needed scenario.  Shrews are smaller than elephants but have a higher metabolic rate, etc. and, pound for pound, will therefore consume/require more energy in the same environment.  Smaller cows on the same pasture have to, relatively, walk further to water etc..  Their surface area is larger, relatively, so they give off more heat in winter and need more energy to keep them warm.

I am not a scientist but these factors will all play a role.

I agree fully with the 'niche market' as stated in a previous post.

Heismanziel

44484197.jpg

LLBUX

To me, the bull looks good enough to draw interest from a bull stud.

Perhaps you can sell enough semen to pay the bills and keep him around until another breeder 
snaps him up.

knabe

LLBUX said:

Perhaps you can sell enough semen to pay the bills and keep him around until another breeder 
snaps him up.

i actually agree with that.

Mueller Show Cattle

My dad looked into them this past summer, there is not a large amount of breeders around which could help you but depending on the interest, that could hurt you. The breeder was selling a start up package which included 3 yearling heifers and a yearling bull for $7000. So that was 4 miniature Herefords that were a year old for $7000 which broke down to $1,750 an animal. Being 5 years old is going to drop that price also. Hope that helps you a little. I don't know how that price compared to others that was one that my dad had found. 

simba

LLBUX said:

snaps him up.

I totally agree with LLBUX. I don't know much about Minis, but if he were a regular sized Hereford you'd have a lot of interest in him, he looks great!

Bulldaddy

I doubt there would much demand for a 5 1/2 year old bull unless the bull has produced exceptional progeny.  If bull has sired some nice calves, take pictures and use them when you advertise your bull.  The packer prices have been so strong for bulls that it wouldn't make sense to sell a breeding bull for less that $2,500.  If you don't have any luck selling him as a breeding bull, I would recommend that you sell him directly to a packer.  He would get docked at you local sale barn for being a"short."  Good luck!

everybreedcounts

knabe said:
What's the point of miniature cattle?  Can you eat them or are they sort of a pasture/companion thing that is a lower feed budget?

100 years ago, "miniature" cattle were the norm. Basically Miniature Herefords are just a rare pocket of cattle that didn't go through the "grow them as big as possible" phase of the cattle industry over the past 50 years or so. Really, miniature cattle are true to the breed while "standard" cattle are just giant versions. I think it is so ironic that they are called miniatures when at one point they were the standard size.  :)
    It's not like they are some foreign animal from another planet......they are cattle just like any other breed. They are raised for eating, showing, pets, lawnmowers, etc. Just like any other breed. They are just smaller. Full grown cows range anywhere from 700-1200 lbs and bulls range from 900-1500 lbs. They are much easier to handle than full size cattle, and they tend to become really gentle and friendly as they get older, even the ones that are completely wild as calves. Also, you can run more minis per acre than you can regular cattle. Its a ratio of about 2 minis to 1 regular cow. Pricing on show prospects is the same range as standard size cattle. For example you can sell a miniature show heifer for the same price you can sell a standard size show heifer, but your feed expenses are basically cut in half (if you have any), meaning more profit.
    Really the only negative thing about miniature cattle is all the crap you get from your ranching neighbors and friends who constantly make fun of them because they are miniature. It can get really annoying, but I've learned to just laugh with them; at their ignorance, not their jokes.