Hurricane Ike

Help Support Steer Planet:

BIGTEX

We had a little rain and wind but no real damage. I live 30 miles East of Dallas. Some in East Texas got 10" of rain. I heard that it kill 10000 cows in deep south Texas. My brother in-law works for the USDA and he's headed there right now w/ a new mobile home to stay in. I think he will be there for a while.

Simmymom1

steermomintx said:
Is everyone okay????  Did anyone get hit really hard??  Simmymom1 are you okay??

(angel)  Steermom -     Thank god we are all okay around here.  I just got into work and am now able to have a computer to get on to.  We have NO power at our house so I was not able to check in with everyone this weekend.  The storm ended up coming in more towards Galveston rather than Matagorda like they thought it was.  That was good news for us and bad news for Galveston and Houston.  Even though we were on the "clean side", we still got it pretty good.  My husband decided on Thursday that since it was not coming in at Matagorda that we were just going to stay put and ride the storm out....BIG MISTAKE!!  Around 2:30 am on Saturday morning all hell broke lose.  We live in an old wood framed house that we remodeled and I swear that house felt like it was going to fall apart at any minute.  My husband always brags that that house has been there for many, many years and that they just don't build ones like that anymore.  Well, let me tell you I don't care how long that house has been there, the next time a strong hurricane comes through like that we are getting the heck out of there, with or without him!!!  The animals made it through okay, just shook up a little.  We have alot of old Oak trees that came down, thankfully not on top of our house.  Some of the metal on our hay barn got blown off and that will have to be repaired, but most everything else came out okay.  Like I said earlier, we were on the "good" side of the storm, I feel really bad for the ones that got the direct hit.  Galveston is a disaster area, and Houston is in pretty bad shape too.  The mayor of Houston jumped all over FEMA yesterday during a press conference because they are not doing their job properly, just like when Hurricane Katrina came in at  Lousiana.  There are people lined up for ice, water and food everywhere in the city of Houston and Galveston.  I personally did not think the storm was going to be as bad as it was, I was VERY wrong, as were alot of people.  Anyway, we have alot to clean up in the next few days and hopefully we will get our power back on soon.  Thanks for everyones prayers.... Lisa

steermomintx

Simmymom1 said:
steermomintx said:
Is everyone okay????  Did anyone get hit really hard??  Simmymom1 are you okay??

(angel)  Steermom -     Thank god we are all okay around here.  I just got into work and am now able to have a computer to get on to.  We have NO power at our house so I was not able to check in with everyone this weekend.  The storm ended up coming in more towards Galveston rather than Matagorda like they thought it was.  That was good news for us and bad news for Galveston and Houston.  Even though we were on the "clean side", we still got it pretty good.  My husband decided on Thursday that since it was not coming in at Matagorda that we were just going to stay put and ride the storm out....BIG MISTAKE!!  Around 2:30 am on Saturday morning all hell broke lose.  We live in an old wood framed house that we remodeled and I swear that house felt like it was going to fall apart at any minute.  My husband always brags that that house has been there for many, many years and that they just don't build ones like that anymore.  Well, let me tell you I don't care how long that house has been there, the next time a strong hurricane comes through like that we are getting the heck out of there, with or without him!!!  The animals made it through okay, just shook up a little.  We have alot of old Oak trees that came down, thankfully not on top of our house.  Some of the metal on our hay barn got blown off and that will have to be repaired, but most everything else came out okay.  Like I said earlier, we were on the "good" side of the storm, I feel really bad for the ones that got the direct hit.  Galveston is a disaster area, and Houston is in pretty bad shape too.  The mayor of Houston jumped all over FEMA yesterday during a press conference because they are not doing their job properly, just like when Hurricane Katrina came in at  Lousiana.  There are people lined up for ice, water and food everywhere in the city of Houston and Galveston.  I personally did not think the storm was going to be as bad as it was, I was VERY wrong, as were alot of people.  Anyway, we have alot to clean up in the next few days and hopefully we will get our power back on soon.  Thanks for everyones prayers.... Lisa

Wow what a storm, glad to hear you and your family are ok.  We did not even get a drop of rain.  Oh well!!

Throttle

I'm sure glad to hear that you all made it through OK. I got a whole new respect for anyone who has to ride one of those storms out after yesterday. Ike made it all the way up here to Ohio! Winds in the 60 mph range most all afternoon and into the evening. Trees just laying around everywhere. Over half of central OH w/o power. They said that at the National Weather Service station in Wilmington at 5:00 yesterday afternoon, that the storm could still technically be considered a hurricane. That's a first for me. I never saw anything like it, but we got less than .2 of rain with it, so that lessened the damage. If it had been a little later in the fall, the corn crop would have been mostly lost, but I got out and looked good this am and most stood OK here except for the really dry spots. It was just a really weird day. Reminded me of the Wizard of Oz just watching stuff fly past the window.

I can't even imagine being near one of these things when it is pouring buckets of rain, pushing a wall of sea water, and blowing twice as hard has it was here yesterday. WOW!

Now, as for the moronic news guys standing in the eye of it, holding onto a lightpole, screaming into a microphone through a spotty satellite feed, GET A CLUE!

Keep everyone in Ike's path in your prayers. They're cleaning up all the way from Texas through the Midwest

DCC_Cattle

I live in central Ohio and we got 75mph winds. Trees are down everywhere, power lines down, half the roof on one of our barns is gone. All schools are closed and a lot of people are without power and will be for the next 2 or 3 days. It's hard to believe it could do that much damage here....I can't imagine what it must have been like in TX.

OH Breeder

DCC_Cattle said:
I live in central Ohio and we got 75mph winds. Trees are down everywhere, power lines down, half the roof on one of our barns is gone. All schools are closed and a lot of people are without power and will be for the next 2 or 3 days. It's hard to believe it could do that much damage here....I can't imagine what it must have been like in TX.

I live in downtown Columbus and we without and will be for up to 5 days. AEP sent 250 folks to Texas and now realize they need them back. Half of the city of columbus is without. Kind of scarey with no stop lights. Headed to the farm to pick up the generator.

steermomintx

If anyone wants to see pictures of the Texas coast that has been hit the hardest go to www.msn.com there is an article and you can view a slide show total devastation!!

TJ

I've got damage to my house... missing soffit & whole sections of singles gone.  My yard looked like a battle zone.  We were also without electricity from before 9am yesterday until 2 am today.  One of my vehicles got banged up & scratched up.  We had some serious wind around here & with lots of damage in out county, including whole shop building getting blown down & big trees crushing roofs & landing inside houses, etc.!  It was bad enough they declared a state of emergency.  However, my prayers go out to all those who had it much worse than we did! 

doubled

Im glad those of you that are from that area that are on here are OK, my thoughts are with you all

sawboss

We got hammered here in Nacogdoches, luckily my house and barn did not receive damage.  We are still without power and water, finally got power at our sawmill so I am back at work.  All schools in this area are closed until further notice.  All reports show that this was worse than Rita in our area.  My parents live 35 miles from my house and I can not get through the roads to help them.  It will takes months to clean and restore damaged fences and property, due to this I expect to see a huge spike in herd reductions.  Thank God we are all safe, and give us the strength to pick up the pieces.  Phil Carrell

steermomintx

My heart goes out to each and every person affected by this storm.  :'( :'(  I think Ike is worse than Katrina, Katrina was mainly water damage after the huricane passed with Ike there is both wind damage and water damage, total devastation.  You don't hear as much about it on the national news level because we are rolling up our sleeves and taking care of things.  I am very thankful, if the storm would have taken the Corpus Christi route we would be going though this instead of you!!  Again my heart goes out to all of you!! (angel) (angel) (angel)

chambero

Many of my company's employees with families in east Texas have headed out to go take care of things.  You hear about the damage right on the coast, but as Phil said, things are almost as bad regarding wind damage and loss of utilities all the way up through east Texas.  And power companies, etc. are having to send all their help down toward Houston, so those folks are kind of left to fend for themselves.

I might add that you don't see them jumping up and down and screaming to the government to "save me".  Those folks are doing a pretty good job of taking care of our own and just dealing with it and should get a lot of credit for it.

However, I still can't believe all those idiots that didn't get off Galveston island beforehand.

justme

has anyone heard from TXShowlamb?  I know she was pretty worried and I haven't seen any posts from her lately.

Simmymom1

However, I still can't believe all those idiots that didn't get off Galveston island beforehand.
[/quote]

Chambero - There were alot of those idiots that stayed on Galveston, they are now saying that about 40 - 50% of the people stayed!!  They were told three  days before the storm came to get out and they had every opportunity to do that.  There were buses that would take you and your pets off the island if you did not have transportation.  The mayor of Galveston made it very clear that when the storm came in that if your were not off the island when the weather started getting bad that the police and fire department would not help you, they would not put themeselves in harms way.  Well, all of those stupid people chose to stay for one stupid reason or another and now they are the same people running their mouths on the tv stations saying that no one would come and help them in the middle of the storm when they started to see how bad it was and they started to freak out.  It is nobodies fault except their own that they were in such bad shape.  I am just wondering how many dead bodies there are going to be that float up in the water in the following weeks in Galveston.  Just my opinion.... Lisa

Simmymom1

justme said:
has anyone heard from TXShowlamb?  I know she was pretty worried and I haven't seen any posts from her lately.

I think she is in San Antonio, if I am not mistaken.  I don't think they got much of anything.  Steermomintx lives there and she said they didn't even get a drop of rain.

fluffer

I live in the Dayton, Ohio area and have been without power since 1pm on Sunday, they are saying maybe saturday.  We have a generator and are able to water the cattle.  Those were the big things.  We got 65 to 75 MPH winds for 6 hours straight.  I can't imagine getting all that with the rain!  I guess we are lucky.

Fluffer

sawboss

Everyone is right about we are taking care of ourselves, I have a very close friend that owns a hurricane recovery company here in Nacogdoches.  He works under FEMA contracts all over the U.S., he is using his equipment locally to help restore us before heading out with multiple crews to Galveston.  The one thing our state needs to improve on is setting up evacuation centers in Central Texas.  We are covered with people from the coast and my heart goes out to them, but Rita and Ike hit us just as hard, so why come this direction.  Many of these people bombard you at the gas stations with their hands out for help and handouts.  I asked a couple to come help clean trees off our downed fences in return for whatever they needed to get them home.  I was accused of taking advantage of their situation, my reply was I am offering you pay for your services to help me in my bad situation.  I was turned down rudely.  We have to stand guard over our generator to keep it from being stolen, I will not let my wife go to the gas station alone.  There are more good stories than bad, but you still need to stay on your toes until the riff-raff leaves town.  I spoke with a customer from Washington state this morning and he said he was amazed at the backbone and strength of the people in Texas and the heartland of the U.S. without them we would not have a country.  Sure made this ole country boy proud! Hang in there Texas!  I still need help getting downed trees off fences, Chambero I'll even use a one armed man, it will fit right in with my bad back.

steermomintx

justme said:
She should be fine she just lives about 40 or 50 miles from where I do.  We are in south central Texas and didn't even get any rain that we very much need but that is better than the alternative.

chambero

sawboss said:
Everyone is right about we are taking care of ourselves, I have a very close friend that owns a hurricane recovery company here in Nacogdoches.  He works under FEMA contracts all over the U.S., he is using his equipment locally to help restore us before heading out with multiple crews to Galveston.  The one thing our state needs to improve on is setting up evacuation centers in Central Texas.  We are covered with people from the coast and my heart goes out to them, but Rita and Ike hit us just as hard, so why come this direction.  Many of these people bombard you at the gas stations with their hands out for help and handouts.  I asked a couple to come help clean trees off our downed fences in return for whatever they needed to get them home.  I was accused of taking advantage of their situation, my reply was I am offering you pay for your services to help me in my bad situation.  I was turned down rudely.  We have to stand guard over our generator to keep it from being stolen, I will not let my wife go to the gas station alone.  There are more good stories than bad, but you still need to stay on your toes until the riff-raff leaves town.  I spoke with a customer from Washington state this morning and he said he was amazed at the backbone and strength of the people in Texas and the heartland of the U.S. without them we would not have a country.  Sure made this ole country boy proud! Hang in there Texas!  I still need help getting downed trees off fences, Chambero I'll even use a one armed man, it will fit right in with my bad back.

Give those big boys of yours an axe or a hand saw and tell them the muscles it grows it will help them with their fastball velocity.