I hate SKUNKS!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

K_State_Katy

kanshow said:
What is it with corgis & skunks..  My parent's corgi had a close encounter (but not THAT close) with one recently.   If  I had to guess, I'd say that there was probably a corgi involved in Davis's incident!

knock on wood really hard, but Luke is the only one that has been spared at Matt's house so far, aside from some residual cause he loves his sister Suzy (Matt's lab) so much even when she stinks. He now has a curfew at dark and goes back out at first light...I told him I'd rather clean pee off the floor than skunk...but some how he always seems to be get let out about 10 o'clock, I think Matt and his roommates are plotting against me...lol

kanshow

I bet if you'd ask Luke, he has no idea he is not as big as the lab.    ;D

red

we used to have a possum that would eat cat food that was on the porch. So far no skunk instances but just as I say it this it will happen. Heeler has treed a lot of ground hogs.

Red

CAB

Dusty, is your claim that you can't be sprayed by a skunk if you catch it by the tail been tested by you or is it kinda like when I was little my grandma telling all the grand kids that the way to catch a rabbit was to sprinkle salt on it's tail, so she could be amused by us all chasing the rabbits around with a salt shaker?

chambero

I've heard the same thing about a skunk not spraying you if you catch them by the tail.  I've never worried about trying to get close enough to test it.  I do know they are quite capable of spraying while holding on to a bird dog by the nose while being slung around in circles by a panicked dog.

Davis Shorthorns

if I were a pesky critter I would be more afraid of the lab or corgi.  The mastif is just a big teddy bear.

Maines in PA

Couldn't sleep and this post got me remembering this story...

Early last summer we frequently saw a possum at the cat food dish in the garage.  As soon as you’d turn on the light, he’s scamper behind something and undoubtedly return when the light went out to consume his nightly 3 pounds of cat food.

One night I can home late from a meeting and spied the little feller in the car headlights at his usual position hunched over the cat food dish.  I grabbed a shovel and poked him out from his hidey hole.  Mr. Possum made a mad dash for the door with me in hot pursuit.  When he cleared the concrete I started wailing at him – missing every time.  Through the flower bed we went, smashing more than a few irises and other pampered flora.  When I finally zeroed in and knocked him over with a glancing blow, we were squarely in the middle of the yard in front of the house.  I beaned the little sucker a few times until he gave the telltale quiver that serious neurological damage had been done.  Since it was late, I figured I’d dispose of the carcass in the morning.

Satisfied with, and slightly proud of my performance, I returned to the house, neatly hung up the shovel and sauntered in to tell Mother that I had reduced our cat food bill by 20%.  “Did you hit a cat with the car?” she yawned.  “Nope, got rid of the possum” I replied smugly. 

Silence.  Then with a pained look, I got this pouting response……“Awwwww, I liked the possum.  He never hurt anything”.  Oh good grief.

Next morning I rose at the crack of dawn, tail between my legs and went to bury the possum.  Possum? What possum?  Vanished. Kapoof.  No possum.  I scanned the area high and low.  He was flat out gone.

Thinking quickly, I heroically woke my better half to report that the possum had in fact survived the incident and wondered off, but was probably trained well enough so that it wouldn’t return in the near future.

Amazingly just this winter, a possum bearing a striking resemblance to the original has been spotted at the cat food dish.

Reincarnation?  Or time to teach him another lesson?  You be the judge.

lowann

Davis Shorthorns said:
if I were a pesky critter I would be more afraid of the lab or corgi.  The mastif is just a big teddy bear.
You are right there. She is pretty tough till they turn around and look at her, then she runs yipping!! (lol)

lowann

I got a recipe from a vet for neutralizing skunk smell. It doesn't take it completely away, but sure helps!
1 pint hydroden peroxide
1 small box of baking soda
couple squirts of dawn dish soap
Must be mixed up and used quickly, it loses it's effectiveness in about an hour.
Do not cover this mixture as it will explode. Do not get it your pet's eyes, Peroxide will cause blindness.
Bathe with mixture, try to keep it in pet's hair/skin  for a few minutes, then rinse.

Throttle

my stupid little heeler got into a skunk last night  :mad: Does anyone have a remedy that I don't have to worry much about getting in the eyes? Bathing this dog is an experience to say the least, and chances are, whatever I use will be in everyone's eys

kanshow

I found something just as bad if not worse than skunk.

Was out in the hay shed today and found where my chickens had been laying their eggs.  Thing is.. we lost all of our chickens around the time we went to the state fair - in September.  Our 4 year old was with me and before I could stop her, she grabbed an egg and had it popped open.  Now if you've never cracked a rotten egg..  they don't crack, they mini-explode and the smell is HORRIBLE.   

red

kanshow said:
I found something just as bad if not worse than skunk.

Was out in the hay shed today and found where my chickens had been laying their eggs.  Thing is.. we lost all of our chickens around the time we went to the state fair - in September.  Our 4 year old was with me and before I could stop her, she grabbed an egg and had it popped open.  Now if you've never cracked a rotten egg..  they don't crack, they mini-explode and the smell is HORRIBLE.   

heard on the news that the smell of rotten eggs is an aphrodisiac. Will have to watch to see why!