IA Beef Expo Red Angus Sale

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROAD WARRIOR

High selling bull was lot 43 for $12000.00, high selling female was lot 37 at $9000.00. RW

Show Heifer

I think the average was 2200 for heifers, 2300 for bulls. Several were passed out with no bids. But, there were some amazing heifers (4 of them ran between 4700-8000) Those WI folks came loaded for bear!!! I sure hope they return next year!! 

I was disappointed that some of the animals were not defect tested, even though the association requires it for the animals to be registered. (Seems like most of them had CARRIERS within the first two generations)  hmmmmmmm

ROAD WARRIOR

Two animals were passed out of the ring without bids - neither of which sholuld have ever been in the barn let alone the sale. It was a typical consignment auction in the fact that there were some exceptional animals there and there were some animals there that should have never got passed the local sale barn. IMHO the sale committee should police their own rules and make sure the quality is there. If they had enforced their own weight and registration rules instead of letting them sell at the end of the sale, the sale would have been much better. If they had booted the 10 or 12 that didn't make the grade, the averages would have been much better. The averages that they announced at the sale were - Bulls $2587 and Females $2514 for an oveall average of $2560. As of this morning this is the high avaerage of all breeds sold at Expo so far. The top 5 open heifers were $9000, $8750, $8250, $6250 and $5200. Top 5 bulls were - $12000, $3500, $3250, $3000 and $3000. There was one animal that had suspect animals in it's pedigree that had not recieved test results at sale time, All of the others were either tested or out of clean tested parentage and had papers in hand. RW

JCC

RW-what did lots 67 and 73 bring? How did they look out there? We liked the pedigress and pictures but weren't able to make it to the sale.
Thanks!

Show Heifer

ROAD WARRIOR said:
..... The top 5 open heifers were $9000, $8750, $8250, $6250 and $5200. Top 5 bulls were - $12000, $3500, $3250, $3000 and $3000. There was one animal that had suspect animals in it's pedigree that had not recieved test results at sale time, All of the others were either tested or out of clean tested parentage and had papers in hand. RW

Im not RW, but 67 brought 2400 and 73 brought 2000.
According to the sale order and notes, 5 head was tested OSC, 8 head was tested OSF.  "All other sale cattle have not been OS tested as of 2/15/10" . There was a total of 78 head in the catalog. Since the parentage status was not listed in the catalog it is hard to tell, but, I randomly looked up 15 head and none had both parents tested.
The tested carrier cattle brought far below the sale average.
Who are you going to have on the "sale committee"? Show jocks? Commercial bull buyers? Show heifer buyers? Sale management?  I agree they need to stick to the rules they already have.... but if your going to have a sale committee, you might as well have a show. Both are politically incorrect. Just put in rules AND FOLLOW THEM. If they don't make the ADG, have papers, have ringworm or defect tested DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO SELL. Why complicate things?

ROAD WARRIOR

JCC - I thought that the lot 67 got a little out powered by a few others in the sale, lot 73 was kind of the same story - just needed more bull to be in the top.

SH - The Red Angus Association of America will not issue registration papers to any animal of suspect pedigree without that animal being tested. All of the animals in the sale with the exception of the one I previousely mentioned had papers in hand, the one that didn't was waiting on the test results. I personally would not have allowed the animal to sell without atleast confirmation from the lab one way or the other but it was not my call. The listed carriers did bring less money and rightfully that they did.
There is already a sale committee established and it is their job to enforce the rules that they as an assocciation have implemented. This committee is made up of Red Angus breeders from around the state and has been in effect since the first Red Angus sale held at the IA Beef Expo. RW

Show Heifer

You stated all animals were tested or out of clean tested pedigrees. That is not true. The RAA requires testing if just the first 2 generations HAVE A CONFIRMED CARRIER. How do you know if they are a carrier if you DO NOT TEST THEM?

I thought you mentioned a sale committee to shift the consignments. Your right, they say they already have one, and rules to boot, but like every other committe you have those that do not have a backbone, nor kahuna's to follow their own rules. 
Personally, I would like to see bulls gain at least 3.25, and have a min scrotal of 34. I would like heifers to have at least a 2.25. I also would like to see every single animal be DNA'd for defects, or be out of (and verified) tested parents. None of that "assumed clean because of the pedigree" crap. Every animal should also have registration papers IN HAND. Again, none of that "its coming" stuff.  It wasn't an issue this year, but I would also like to see them follow the breed standards for white.
And from what I saw, they might as well throw away the frame score stick. It was obviously not accurate.

Oh well, the sale came and went, and I am sure, for most, soon forgotten. For those others.... well, maybe not so soon.

ROAD WARRIOR

Show Heifer said:
You stated all animals were tested or out of clean tested pedigrees. That is not true. The RAA requires testing if just the first 2 generations HAVE A CONFIRMED CARRIER. How do you know if they are a carrier if you DO NOT TEST THEM?

I thought you mentioned a sale committee to shift the consignments. Your right, they say they already have one, and rules to boot, but like every other committe you have those that do not have a backbone, nor kahuna's to follow their own rules. 
Personally, I would like to see bulls gain at least 3.25, and have a min scrotal of 34. I would like heifers to have at least a 2.25. I also would like to see every single animal be DNA'd for defects, or be out of (and verified) tested parents. None of that "assumed clean because of the pedigree" crap. Every animal should also have registration papers IN HAND. Again, none of that "its coming" stuff.  It wasn't an issue this year, but I would also like to see them follow the breed standards for white.
And from what I saw, they might as well throw away the frame score stick. It was obviously not accurate.

Oh well, the sale came and went, and I am sure, for most, soon forgotten. For those others.... well, maybe not so soon.
Maybe you should join the association and get on the committee if you feel so strongly that they should make all of these changes and enforce them. RW

forbes family farms

I agree the committee for the Iowa Beef Expo should put quality needs to be there if not the average show calf please don't bring your animal, its a waste of your time and theirs! Heck last year my dad and i went to the Iowa Maine Anjou Beef Expo and they said that this one bull won a national show they were full of BS, excuse my language but if your calf has donkey ears and looks worse than a local average sale barn animal there no way that they would be a national champion, that leads me to say don't lie about your animals description i know some people do and just drives me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

justintime

I stopped in and watched part of the Red Angus sale. I saw the $12,000 bull sell, as well as a few others on each side of it. Wish I had known who some of you were so I could have said " hi". I just got home about an hour ago. Great roads home, wasn't going down. I think I saw more vehicles of all kinds on their sides and roofs that in all my life prior to this trip. I counted the vehicles on their side and upside down, and didn't bother counting those that had stayed upright, and in 120 miles west of Des Moines there were 83 vehicles that rolled.

ROAD WARRIOR

justintime said:
I stopped in and watched part of the Red Angus sale. I saw the $12,000 bull sell, as well as a few others on each side of it. Wish I had known who some of you were so I could have said " hi". I just got home about an hour ago. Great roads home, wasn't going down. I think I saw more vehicles of all kinds on their sides and roofs that in all my life prior to this trip. I counted the vehicles on their side and upside down, and didn't bother counting those that had stayed upright, and in 120 miles west of Des Moines there were 83 vehicles that rolled.

JIT - I was the ring man in the center. RW

jbw

I walked up to first person I saw in the Red Angus aisle and asked where I could find Stu, that man pointed him out to me. It was a pleasure getting to talk to you RW, thanks for your time.

ROAD WARRIOR

jbw said:
I walked up to first person I saw in the Red Angus aisle and asked where I could find Stu, that man pointed him out to me. It was a pleasure getting to talk to you RW, thanks for your time.
The pleasure was all mine! Always ready to talk cows! RW

ROAD WARRIOR

justintime said:
So you were the guy who wouldn't take my bid!  I was waving with both arms trying to bid $12,500 and you wouldn't even take it!!!

You better be serious if you do that around the crews I work in JIT!  ;DRW

Show Steaks

I attempted to become a rookie red angus owner at this sale...My eye seems to have a bigger check book than the one in my pocket (lol)
Really like lot 16 bull from coley's wide based and possibly heaviest boned red angus there. also liked lot 41 and 71 and 70
Might have become a fan forever of red angus , seemed to be deep bodied moderate sized and actually seen a couple with nice udders starting to grow
i'll be back next year for sure

M Bar

Well that's a news flash, a ringman who "sneaks" one out.  Bet you didn't see anyone bidding.............Sorry Stu, that was too easy to poke fun of you.

ROAD WARRIOR

M Bar said:
Well that's a news flash, a ringman who "sneaks" one out.  Bet you didn't see anyone bidding.............Sorry Stu, that was too easy to poke fun of you.

Thanks T Roy - it was one of those deals where I thought she was too cheap for what she was and bid a couple of times, one more bid and someone else would have owned her. RW

OH Breeder

Was there a catalog somewhere?

I like to look at them even if the sale is over to see wht is clicking with what. We keep saying we are going to try the Durham REd think.