Do you like herefords

• yes

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • no

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

txshowlamb

iam new to raising steer and wanted to know what yall thought of him
hes a pure hereford steer in the pictures he was 515 pounds when i got him he was 349 pounds and as of today weighs 576 pounds he is bathed every day to condition his hair and keep him cool twice a week he is shampoo/conditioned every day he is brushed out hes eating showmaster calf grower 8 pounds a feeding and his weight gain over all is 2.98 pounds a day this week his weight gain was 3.71 pounds a day let me know what you think
april 7 2008 349 pounds http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/txlambshower/pinks095.jpg and http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/txlambshower/pinks097-1.jpg hated my face in this pic
515 pounds beginning of june http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/txlambshower/040.jpg and http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/txlambshower/052.jpg
let me know what you think and let me know how my showmanship is thanks

angusboy1

i like herfords when there young but when they get older they get kinda ugly but im new to showing cows bout liek u i use to own 150 head of pasture cows and from wat i now aobut feeding them ur growth is lookin good keep it up and good luck in the show ring

OH Breeder

Looks like you are off to a good start. Good first year calf. He is gaining good. When is your fair? What show are you shooting for?

red

very nice! I also had a thing for Herefords. when I was younger a farm had 2 big Hereford bulls in a pasture. Just loved their faces!

Glad you joined us & best of luck!!!!!

Red

justme

I think you have a dandy of a county fair project.  I have a soft spot for herefords, my first job out of college was on a hereford farm in Kentucky.  I just cann't get my husband to let me have a couple around here lol.

By your name I see you must show sheep.  Alot of your sheep showmanship tricks work in beef too.  My daughter is finding this out (she's ten).  The thing that really clicked in her mind this week at a show was head carriage, natural gait when walking them in the ring, and keeping the head straight aligned with the tail head.  She had a habit of pulling the head towards her to get leverage. 

Hope you have a great time with your calf.  If you have questions, your at the right place.  The planet probably has a 1000years of combined showing experience maybe more! lol  The "old" pros are on here.  They love to help!

txshowlamb

san antonio stockshow is my main goal to take him to its in feb but county is in jan

justme

Maybe I missed it somewhere...do you have papers on him?  I hope so.  If not, don't get discouraged being in the crossbred class.  Use this year to gain experience and knowledge! (thumbsup)

chambero

Steers showing at Texas majors do not have to have registration papers.  You've got nothing to worry about on that one.  They sift them on visual appearance only.

shortyjock89

If he's not registered, he would get put in the crossbred class up here (IL, and the rest of the Midwest).  I'm not sure about at San Antonio, but they sift steers at the rest of the Texas Majors to determine which breed show they will be put in right?

shortyjock89

chambero said:
Steers showing at Texas majors do not have to have registration papers.  You've got nothing to worry about on that one.  They sift them on visual appearance only.

beat me to it chambero..I was about to ask you directly, but I guess I got it right  (lol)

justme

oops sorry about that.  Here is MO we have to have papers.  For example on maines ,it has to be a registered maine bull on the papers or its not legal to show in maine steer class.  Which I think is silly, if the cow is PB and i use a crossbred bull, the national organization will register it, but the Missouri Cattlemen's won't acknowledge it.  

chambero

justme said:
oops sorry about that.  Here is MO we have to have papers.  For example on maines ,it has to be a registered maine bull on the papers or its not legal to show in maine steer class.  Which I think is silly, if the cow is PB and i use a crossbred bull, the national organization will register it, but the Missouri Cattlemen's won't acknowledge it.  

Our rules used to be like that - we even tried bloodtyping Angus, but I guess the officials finally threw their hands up in the air and went to visual.  There's not a purebred anything that ever wins any of the "breeds" in a steer show anymore. 

DiamondS

I think you have a dandy steer there.  Keep up the good work.  Herefords can have nasty hair to work with and are always ready to shed it!  But, I still love em.  I really like to see that you are keeping tabs on his weight and ADG.  I really like to see young people getting involved with Herefords!!!  When you get his papers, let me know how he's bred.  I'm kind of fascinated with pedigrees and I enjoy researching the old-timers  :)  Good luck with him and keep us posted!  (thumbsup)

frm_girl

i like herefords.  I show simmental hereford crosses.  They are very laid back and are beautiful animals.  :)  But the people down here discorage them a lot due to years past. :(

txshowlamb

thank you everyone for the great comments ill post some new pics this weekend hes almost 600! (clapping) :eek: :D