iowa state fair judges

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLD

If Matt Lewis is judging, he will use a sound, complete one - won't have to be the very thickest or the biggest boned, definitely won't be a pud, and he'll have to be pretty.  I believe he's about as immune to halter judging as anyone you can find - that doesn't mean that "somebody" can't win, but they'd better have the one to suit him first. He judged OYE steer show from '07 to '09, and judged Fort Worth this year.  His FW grand is a prime example - I don't think hardly anyone had that one picked out to win, he wasn't "freaky enough" for anyone to find him before the show, but once he got out in the ring, he was pretty and sound and market ready, and just stout enough ...

clonefan

thanks for the replies, were showing a market heifer this year and so many judges from states that dont have mkt heifer shows just pick pretty breeding heifers. i hope hes judged them before.

iowabeef

DLD said:
If Matt Lewis is judging, he will use a sound, complete one - won't have to be the very thickest or the biggest boned, definitely won't be a pud, and he'll have to be pretty.  I believe he's about as immune to halter judging as anyone you can find - that doesn't mean that "somebody" can't win, but they'd better have the one to suit him first. He judged OYE steer show from '07 to '09, and judged Fort Worth this year.  His FW grand is a prime example - I don't think hardly anyone had that one picked out to win, he wasn't "freaky enough" for anyone to find him before the show, but once he got out in the ring, he was pretty and sound and market ready, and just stout enough ...

I really hope this is the case....love to keep changing it up and pick the right kind of cattle and not the right kind of "money"...

Nasc

DLD said:
he was pretty and sound and market ready, and just stout enough ...

That is the direction I would like to see more of..................

afhm

When I have watched him judge he has preached soundness way more than he actually adhered to it.  They don't need much lower quarter but do need a huge hip in them.