Irish Whiskey Grand-Daughters

Help Support Steer Planet:

kp1625

I'm looking at buying a few of Irish Whiskey grand-daughters.  With IW being a PH carrier will this effect the calving of his granddaughters as well?

CAB

kp1625 said:
I'm looking at buying a few of Irish Whiskey grand-daughters.  With IW being a PH carrier will this effect the calving of his granddaughters as well?

If you can, you need to spend some time studying both TH & PHA to familiarize yourself with how these genetic defects are passed on generation to generation. If you buy the IW GDs you should start by testing them, or breeding to PHA tested clean bulls to avoid any huge problems with their calves.

jbzdad

I think they have a different value if they are positive or negative for PHA... the breeder should know if the bull he is using is PHA positive...did you ask that question?

kp1625

jbzdad said:
I think they have a different value if they are positive or negative for PHA... the breeder should know if the bull he is using is PHA positive...did you ask that question?

I know the bull he is using is not PHAC.  The sire and the damn have to be carriers for a problem to arise correct?

CAB

kp1625 said:
jbzdad said:

I know the bull he is using is not PHAC.  The sire and the damn have to be carriers for a problem to arise correct?

That's correct.

jbzdad

sorta correct, if either parent is a carrier have a 50% chance offspring a carrier... if both parents carrier have 25% chance homozygous positive...(lethal)

bob b

I know there are positive benefits to being TH positive.....are there any similar things for PH?

bob

jbzdad

probably, although the scientist say there is no phenotypic effect of the carrier state the breeders will tell you a little different... If you sort a pen of possible carriers to pick out the best ones for a sale they should have the random pattern genetic makeup (1/2 carrier, 1/2 free)... however when they test that group of picked calves a signifigant higher percentage is PHA positive....PHA positive calves may be thicker boned and heavier muscled (?)

I think a calf was pulled from the Maine Bull sale at NWSS because he was positive