is she worth 2500?

Help Support Steer Planet:

TottenClubCalves

MoneyTalks.jpg

is she worth 2500?

gocanes719

She looks cool.  I would have to see her walk to see how she puts down her rear legs. 

OH Breeder

TCC

maybe it is just me, but I still think 2500 is alot of money either way you look at it. There are quality heifers out there for that kind of money. I suggest you work with a breeder. Most breeders are more likely to work with someone who is willing to go the extra mile and take good care of an animal.
PICTURES are very subjective. I would want to see the heifer move and I think Money Talks is THC, that may not bother you. If you could see her dam that might also be helpful. What do you know about the individual or person you are buying her from?

TottenClubCalves

well my buddy went to the auction and said that her half sister sold for 7500 but she didn't sell because she was a little greener he said that she was pretty awesome and that she could feed out really well

DLD

Considering she's fresh weaned and is pretty green both by what you said and her appearance, if she moves right and is thick enough, that would seem to be a fair price for her, around here anyway. Definitely a nice balanced, cool necked one.

shortyisqueen

She looks like a pretty cool little heifer calf. I think she has more than enough bone for her size -  too much and you will run into trouble later on in the fertility department. I would like to add a little bit more depth  to her flank and make her a little bit more broody, but she is fairly young, so these qualities could develop.

Remember to do your homework since you want to keep her for a cow. A trip to the herd she's from will help. Don't just look at her mom - look at the whole herd. Any bad udders, feet problems, hard keepers, ones that run from you when you enter the field? Anything they have kept in their herd will show what is acceptable to them. You want to make sure this matches up with your criteria for your own herd, because some of those genetics will be in your heifer. Still like her? Get down to the nitty grittys. Ask for production records on her mom, her mom's calving interval, what she's been vaccinated for, and general management practices. Do they hoof trim? Do they creep feed? Do they have a short or long breeding season? Ask to see sisters in the herd if her mother is an older cow. Does the heifer come with any sort of guarantee? And take someone knowledgeable with you that you trust and that judges cattle the same way you do for advice. Also, make sure the people you buy her from 'feel' trustworthy - like they care about selling you a good, not just that they care about getting your money.

When it all comes down to it, its what you like. Don't buy her because her sister sold for $7500. Buy her because YOU like her (she doesn't ever have to please anyone else if its your cash). You seem pretty enthusiastic about the shopping. Buying a heifer is a fun time, and if it all goes down the way it is supposed to, paying $2500 is a small price to pay for two years of pretty good times on the show road and a cow you can visit in the pasture afterwards.

Good luck!!!

red

I like her. I think she has nice neck extension, some depth & very feminine.
$2500 looks like the price range I'd put her in. I prefer a heifer that is a little green to one that is going to be stale on you. she might not do the greatest this year but get her bred next year & I bet she'll really bloom.

Red

Jill

Shortyisqueen, do you seriously ask all of those question when buying a show heifer, she isn't buying the whole cow herd?  From what can be seen in a picture I would say she is worth 2500, she is a little shallow in the flank, but if she is really only 5 months some of that may fill in with time.  The major issue that can't be seen in a picture is can she walk, make sure you determine that before you buy her because if she can't walk she is worth market price.  Don't make determinations on what a full sister brought, look at your family, I know in mine I have 2 full sisters, one is 5'9" the other is 5'3" one has brown hair and brown eyes the other has black hair and green eyes and I by the way am a blue eyed blond, we all have the same genetic make up, but we are all 3 different, cattle work the same way you can't judge her by her sister.  Nice heifer, really cool fronted.

CAB

Just from looking @ her, I would say that the price seems fair if she has no problems on the move. If I had the calf and she can walk, it would be as cheap as I would think about letting her go. Some of the Money Talks calves have been real good. They are generally thick enough and clean fronted. They do tend to be a little shallower flancked. All that said, for a 5 month old green calf, I think she looks like she may be worth taking a chance on.

Doc

Jill said:
Shortyisqueen, do you seriously ask all of those question when buying a show heifer, she isn't buying the whole cow herd?  From what can be seen in a picture I would say she is worth 2500, she is a little shallow in the flank, but if she is really only 5 months some of that may fill in with time.  The major issue that can't be seen in a picture is can she walk, make sure you determine that before you buy her because if she can't walk she is worth market price.  Don't make determinations on what a full sister brought, look at your family, I know in mine I have 2 full sisters, one is 5'9" the other is 5'3" one has brown hair and brown eyes the other has black hair and green eyes and I by the way am a blue eyed blond, we all have the same genetic make up, but we are all 3 different, cattle work the same way you can't judge her by her sister.  Nice heifer, really cool fronted.
  I've got to agree with Jill , I think that is overkill on a $2500.00, especially when a recip from Trans-Ova is about $1800.00. I not saying $2500.00 is a small amount but if she works for you , from what I see she ought to be worth $2500.00. ::)

TJ

Doc said:
Jill said:
  I've got to agree with Jill , I think that is overkill on a $2500.00, especially when a recip from Trans-Ova is about $1800.00. I not saying $2500.00 is a small amount but if she works for you , from what I see she ought to be worth $2500.00. ::)

She's worth $2,500 if someone is willing to pay that much for her.  Based on what I can see, if she can walk, someone probably would give that for her.  If she is a THC, that would probably hurt her value some.  With that said, you might also be able to find a better one cheaper, but maybe not.  Also, over on the classifieds I noticed that someone is selling heifers for either $1,200 or $1,250 a piece.  I'm not saying that buying 2 of those is better than buying this one, but it is something to seriously think about.  If you bought 2 for the same price as this one, you will end up with 2 calves in a couple of years instead of just one.  Just some things to consider. 

TottenClubCalves

yeah I know that but I'm looking at something to really compete with.  buddy of mine has a real nice heatwave heifer that he got for around that price and I'm trying to get something that will be able to run with her. Last weekend Kid had a real nice paddy heifer super thick but real feminine took the show both days and walked away with around 1500. I just want a real good heifer that can play with some of the good ones down here.

shortyisqueen

Doc said:
Jill said:

She's not buying the herd - but she is buying the program. I seriously do ask all those questions when buying a show heifer. I want her to make a cow afterwards. I've spent more money and not asked those questions when I should have - and if I had, it probably  would have saved me alot of money, time and disappointment. If she works out, $2500 is a cheap one. If she doesn't work out, well, $2500 is way to much to spend (the price for a cull cow up her right now is $0.30/pound). If she doesn't work out, she' aint worth squat!!!  ;D

shortyisqueen

They also don't make very good recips if they don't milk. There goes the recip theory.

I forgot one more thing. I'd also get EPDs on as many cattle in the pedigree as I could.

Jill

Her priority is to get a really nice show heifer for the least amount of money, most show heifers don't make good cows regardless of what the papers say.  The pedigree of the bull is Heatseeker/Full Flush, doubt your going to get many EPD's out of that, he is a carrier so I would request a test.  I think you have very different priorities than strawroanlova and there isn't anything wrong with that, but if you wanted all of that info for a 2500 heifer from me, I'd just keep her.