Is using hair dye cheating?

Help Support Steer Planet:

DLD

Genes, black foam is just nasty, in my opinion. Of course we used to use some stuff called Slick Black which was even nastier... lol.

As chambero said about the Fort Worth steer show, and I mentioned earlier about nationally sanctioned Angus and Limousin shows, no paint, touch up, colored foam or whatever is allowed. If someone catches you using it, or if a white towel or tissue wiped over the calf shows up black, you're out. In those cases, if you dye one correctly before the show, it won't towel off... If it passes the white towel test, and isn't being used to completely change the color of all or part of the calf, it's fair game in my opinion. I know that at least some of the biggest and best known Angus and Limousin ranches regularly dye their cattle before major shows and sales, and they don't make any attempt to hide it.

I'm like chambero on the no paint rules - I think for the most part those come from the people that don't know how to, and don't want to bother to learn and use fitting techniques that they feel are getting them beat. We're fortunate that here in OK our major steer shows say no paint above the flank, so we still get to fit legs (no artificial hair or hair-like substances)...

David

afhm

A common misconception about dyeing is that it will come off when wiped with a white towel.  Just do it a day or so before you go to the show, when you rinse it out make sure to keep rinsing until the water is clear coming off the calf.  Put tape on the ear tags so no dye gets on them and if you will dip the calf with a vinegar and water mix it will get rid of the smell and no one will be the wiser.

DLD

afhm said:
A common misconception about dyeing is that it will come off when wiped with a white towel.  Just do it a day or so before you go to the show, when you rinse it out make sure to keep rinsing until the water is clear coming off the calf.  Put tape on the ear tags so no dye gets on them and if you will dip the calf with a vinegar and water mix it will get rid of the smell and no one will be the wiser.

Exactly right -
If you use the right kind of dye - some do wipe off, and will keep coming off for days...

genes

DLD said:
Genes, black foam is just nasty, in my opinion. Of course we used to use some stuff called Slick Black which was even nastier... lol.

Oh I completely agree  :D  I always used paints that don't come off everywhere.  I guess I didn't have the thought/knowledge/skills to dye.  I was just wondering if anyone thought that that dye and touch up are different things. 

They put in a new rule in my region that no colored (or was it just black...hmmm....discrimination;))products could be used.  Apparently the reason, or one of them, was whenever a black animal touched another colored one, they would turn black.  I'm not sure what the rule said about dyeing, but like peopel say, if you do it right, how do you know?  I never actually showed under that rule, so I didn't worry too much.

DLD

genes said:
They put in a new rule in my region that no colored (or was it just black...hmmm....discrimination;))products could be used.   Apparently the reason, or one of them, was whenever a black animal touched another colored one, they would turn black.  I'm not sure what the rule said about dyeing, but like peopel say, if you do it right, how do you know?   I never actually showed under that rule, so I didn't worry too much.

Yeah, some products can rub off onto another animal. Another thing we see, mostly at jackpots where there's a whole lot of painting going on (like building legs with twine)  and someone has butt fans blowing on a light colored calf nearby, the fans will pick up the black paint and fog it over the cattle, leaving the light colored ones a nice, dingy grey  :mad: ... Moral of that story is, if you find yourself in that situation - at least turn off the fans while the painting's going on.

Latest posts