It's Back!! NAME THE BREED!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

OK - here's a tough one - the winner receives 2 straws from shortdawgs new bull for the very first Shorthorn Plus of this breed - and a dawgs costume!

Attachments

• Name the breed.jpg
    Name the breed.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 519

DL

tackes said:
Could it be the Randall Lineback?

WOW!! You are right and you are fast!!  (welcome) Now tell me do you drive a New Holland tractor??? ;D

knabe

here's another breed, it's not belted galloway.  format on first attempt was bad, maybe this one works

Attachments

• cow2.jpg
    cow2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 753

knabe

that last one was a good guess, though incorrect.  i'm thinking the belt includes the front leg, but since there are so few, it's probably not fixed.  anyway, it's still amazing how far and wide those belted cattle got.

dori36

AAOK said:

BueLingo, commonly known as Dutch Belt

If they're a belted breed, they're badly mismarked.  The BueLingo is a composite breed based on the Dutch Belted and other cattle (Shorthorn, Angus, ChiAngus) but are not another name for Dutch Belteds.  I have used BueLingos often for my percentage Lowlines.  The cattle pictured resemble them but crossed as they are so poorly marked.  Bottom line - I don't know what the pictured cattle are!  Here are some BueLingo pics:  fullblood cows w/half Lowline calves, half Lowline/half Buelingo heifer ready to sell at Denver a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 414
  • P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 411
  • barbdoribling.JPG
    barbdoribling.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 412

shortyjock89

Dori, that is a really nice heifer calf..I would really like to show one of those, but I'm afraid the judges wouldn't like the belt much...I saw a good belted steer get placed down because of his belt a few years back...

dori36

shortyjock89 said:
Dori, that is a really nice heifer calf..I would really like to show one of those, but I'm afraid the judges wouldn't like the belt much...I saw a good belted steer get placed down because of his belt a few years back...

Thanks!  I've had good luck with the BueLingo/Lowline cross.  Lots of champions and good sale prices.  I think because, let's be honest, the Lowlines can get away with a little novelty in the crossbreds, the belteds do real well.  I know what you mean about getting put down in the 'real world', though.  In Montana/Wyoming, don't even bring a belted into the commercial sale arena.  you'll get just about nothing for it by the pound.  It's too bad.  I've put a couple in the freezer and they eat just as good as any other beef - maybe better!  A good BueLingo/Lowline cross bull is showing tomorrow at the NILE (Billings) out of the cow in the picture.  He's already been Gr. Ch Bull there last year as a calf and Gr. Ch. Bull at Iowa State Fair this year.  He's by my bull, too.  I'm crossing my fingers for him to win again!  Here he is as a baby still at my place summer 2006.

Attachments

• P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 422
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 407

TJ

dori36 said:
shortyjock89 said:

Thanks!  I've had good luck with the BueLingo/Lowline cross.  Lots of champions and good sale prices.  I think because, let's be honest, the Lowlines can get away with a little novelty in the crossbreds, the belteds do real well.  I know what you mean about getting put down in the 'real world', though.  In Montana/Wyoming, don't even bring a belted into the commercial sale arena.  you'll get just about nothing for it by the pound.  It's too bad.  I've put a couple in the freezer and they eat just as good as any other beef - maybe better!  A good BueLingo/Lowline cross bull is showing tomorrow at the NILE (Billings) out of the cow in the picture.  He's already been Gr. Ch Bull there last year as a calf and Gr. Ch. Bull at Iowa State Fair this year.  He's by my bull, too.  I'm crossing my fingers for him to win again!  Here he is as a baby still at my place summer 2006.

What I like the most about the pictured calf is how wide based he is.  Of course, I like thick made cattle & that one in the picture is certainly thick!

knabe

as i said earlier, it's not a belted breed.  it may have come from one.  it's an isolated breed, and they were removed, semen and oocytes were saved, but were not verified to be viable before the animals were slaughtered.  i'm pretty sure they are the rarest cattle breed.  interesting how that "holstein?" triangle is on their forehead.  that's not a hint, it's probably wrong.

knabe

name this dual purpose breed.

Attachments

• calf.jpg
    calf.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 620
  • apr2007-043.jpg
    apr2007-043.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 604