Jakes Pride? SEK

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

It looks as though if you do a search on SEK, is that Jakes Proud Jazz's maternal grandsire is also available. Jakes Pride. Not sure, but says he is also 20 a straw. Anyone know?

iowa

OH Breeder,  I bought the last 11 straws of Jakes Pride from SEK in March. I visited Tim Ohlde's 2 weeks ago to buy a Proud Jazz son and Tim told me they only had 50 units of Jake's Pride left.

red

(welcome) Iowa

Thanks for the information! Have you used any Pride or Jazz semen before? I take it you are a Shorthorn breeder. We are getting quite a few on the board. Starting to give us Maine breeders some competition!
Did you buy your bull from Tim? What was the maternal side?

Thanks,
Red

iowa

Thanks Red for the welcome!  In my 4H days we ran shorthorns and then went to Maines and black cattle after I was done showing. I am now trying to start back with some shorthorns. Guess I am going back to my roots. It will be nice to see some pretty roans in the pasture again. I bought the Jazz son from Tim and he is about as wide as he is tall!  Tim said he will be a cow making machine. He will not get any bigger than a 5 frame score, very deep bodied and plenty of muscle,  a 76 lb birthweight, and hairy as a Yak. I plan on breeding him to my Maine cows. The dam's sire is Leader 21 and she was out of a Dividend granddaughter.

knabe

i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure tim imported dividend or helped.  if anyone knows that bull, he does.  he spread that seed far and wide a long time ago, even to CA.  shorthorns have pretty much died out out here, except for shows.  the thing i liked about dividend's was the markings and the dairy hip compared to what was around in the 80's.

found some neat photos of beef doing what used to be their other job.  see some shorthorns, a chi pair, devons.  totally awesome!!!!!!  even herefords.  take a gander at max and teddy down towards the bottom.  don't think they had a 76lb BW.  forget jackpot shows, let's go pulling!

http://www.berrybrookoxsupply.com/new_page_1.htm

iowa

Tim told me he bought Dividend at 2 months of age and was the best calf he had ever seen. He told me that dam of Dividend was also the best 1600 pound cow he had seen at that time as well. Also said that the Dividend's birthweight was most likely heavier than what had been recorded by the breeder since he was so big as a 2 month old.

red

iowa said:
Thanks Red for the welcome!  In my 4H days we ran shorthorns and then went to Maines and black cattle after I was done showing. I am now trying to start back with some shorthorns. Guess I am going back to my roots. It will be nice to see some pretty roans in the pasture again. I bought the Jazz son from Tim and he is about as wide as he is tall!  Tim said he will be a cow making machine. He will not get any bigger than a 5 frame score, very deep bodied and plenty of muscle,  a 76 lb birthweight, and hairy as a Yak. I plan on breeding him to my Maine cows. The dam's sire is Leader 21 and she was out of a Dividend granddaughter.

you do realize we expect pictures here!! Would personally love to see the bull.

Red

knabe

i looked through everything i could find of my "archived" journals, catalogs etc.  i seem to have lost 1 moving box full of stuff from about 1980-89.  all i could find was a semen catalog where he was one of the only bulls not pictured.  in that catalog were a few foundation friesian bulls like hi point, shandon ali etc, and some amerifax's like masterpiece, mr beefy a couple herefords etc.  since maine's are essentially a super shorthorn, friesians are kinda like super holsteins.  it's where the dairy but came from in a lot of show steers in the 80's when crossed on bulls like ildeno, sugar ray, black answer, and the endless stream of chi cross black bulls.  i seem to remember back then, that maine's were a little course compared to the amerifax, and big.  now that they are moderated, they present a much more pleasing mirror of what is really in the feedlots,plus there has been a few generations of sticking pretty heads on them.  i still grapple with what may be left behind, especially the pretty picture between the 12th and 13th rib

iowa

I only took video of the bull and 3 other Jazz sons he had for sale. It was also rainy and cold that day and  cattle probably couldn't look anyworse than when they are all hunched up and wet.  I am going back down to pick him up in 2 weeks and will take my camera. I will get a picture of him and try to post it. I wanted to see the bulls mother, but we couldn't get down the road to the pasture she was in due to it being a mud road. I will get a picture of her and as many of the other cows I can get. I think Tim said they had sold down to about 10 Spring and 15 fall shorthorn cows. They used a 3 yr old Jazz son on both sets of cattle this last year after selling Proud Jazz. He looked a lot like Proud Jazz, very long, smooth muscled, good haired, moderate framed.  I don't think Tim wants to get the numbers back up to what they did have before selling off the majority of the cows and Jazz.  I also looked at some of his Fleckvieh Angus bulls that were pretty nice and he is also working with neighbor on breeding herefordxangus bulls. He black and bwf herfxangus bulls that were 4 or 5 generations old that were very nice as well.  Thought about buying a bwf to get some baldies. I will probably wait until next year to do that.

ELBEE

Iowa, allow yourself a couple extra hours and stop by. We're only a few miles from Olde's, more than likely you'll be going right by. We'd love to show you Wymore and our Improver Plus calves.

iowa

Elbee, I may just try to do that. I come down through Lincoln to Marysville and then over to Palmer.  I only live about 10 miles north of Shultz's who bred Irish Pride and I think sold Improver 3rd to your family. Is that right?

iowa

Elbee send my your address and phone number through the email on this site and let me know what you have available for bulls as well.  Thanks

red

Iowa, check out his website too- www.elbeefarms.com
Very good cattle & information there also.

Red

DL

iowa said:
Elbee send my your address and phone number through the email on this site and let me know what you have available for bulls as well.  Thanks

Hey Iowa - welcome aboard - when you are out to ELBEE's place make sure you take lots of pictures and one of him too! He is one of our favorites and I am sure our mental images of him don't nearly do him justice!! (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)
;D ;D DL

red

He's probalby going to kill me! But I love his little girl!

bighamfamily.jpg

DL

Handsome devil, beautiful wife, adorable daughter, great cattle, an unlimited supply of good humor, grief and purple tube tops from your pals on sp - what more could a man ask for?

Jill

ELBEE said:
Iowa, allow yourself a couple extra hours and stop by. We're only a few miles from Olde's, more than likely you'll be going right by. We'd love to show you Wymore and our Improver Plus calves.
I wish we had known you were that close, we were just in Belleville last weekend for a show.