Jake's Proud Jazz calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

stick

I'm not sure if this has been on SP yet. For the doubters of JPJ, there are four very good looking calves, 1 bull and 3 heifer pictured in the Shorthorn Pride sale catalog. They are lots 1,20,28,and 34. Pictures can be deceiving but these 4 calves from 4 different bloodlines are some of the better Jazz calves I've seen. You can download a catalog at shorthorncountry.net

Mitch

There are also some really good Jazz calves in the Generation of Excellence Sale Oct. 11th in Creston, Iowa

stumpy

Here are pictures of the heifers that we are selling in the Duis Farms Fall invitational Oct 19 in IL. The white heifer is a daughter of JPJ.

Attachments

• x4140535.jpg
    x4140535.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 973
  • ~4140536.jpg
    ~4140536.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,115

stick

Mitch, thanks for the heads up. Have been downloading catalogs,kinda damp here. Sure wish I had high speed ;D

shortyjock89

Stumpy, those are some real nice heifers.  I can't wait to see em....matter of fact, you can just drop em off here, and I'll take em up to Duis' for ya .. (lol)

cpubarn

One question I have is why are all of the Shorthorn sales in October?

They are packed together so tight.  Why not spread them out a little?

There are a lot of JPJ showing up, interesting to see the changes in some breeding philosophies.  There are a lot of JPJ calves for sale on the 11th in Crestion.  Too bad the news leaked out I hoped it was a secret.

Cpubarn

Show Heifer

What I find interesting is: When I bred a few head to him, NO ONE  I talked to had even heard of him, let alone used him, and now EVERYONE has a JPJ calves.....
Not to say they are not JPJ.

Jill

I don't know when you used him, but we flushed to him in February (2007) and SEK had had vast numbers of orders on him already at that point so someone obviously was using the semen.

oakbar

I first heard about him last fall.  Then when I studied up on him I found out what everybody else did---a low birth weight(I  hope anyway), outcross bull that at least appears to have a lot of butt.  Kind of hard to find that in the breed right now so I'm not surprised that everyone jumped. 

I've seen quite a few  of his calves on these sales that look pretty good.  Gotta couple coming myself next spring so I'm hoping he works well.  Like always, we won't really know how good his offspring are until some of his daughters and sons get into production but the intial results look promising.

sjcattleco

First of all let me say NICE HEIFERS!!!!!! 

Second  can anyone else see the difference in these heifers compared to the Trumps and Sonnys.. These have 100Xs more balance and correctness Even if they have those bulls on the dam's side they are definately different for all the right reasons! 

My kind of cattle!!!!!! (clapping)

Now go make more!
Scott Pfeiffer

Davis Shorthorns

sjcattleco said:
First of all let me say NICE HEIFERS!!!!!! 

Second  can anyone else see the difference in these heifers compared to the Trumps and Sonnys.. These have 100Xs more balance and correctness Even if they have those bulls on the dam's side they are definately different for all the right reasons! 

My kind of cattle!!!!!! (clapping)

Now go make more!
Scott Pfeiffer

I second that motion!!!
I have a bull calf coming this april out of him( had her ultra sounded last fri.)  I am excited!!!  I visited Ohldes and saw their new bull Prince of Jazz.....WOW is all I have to say. 

TJ

If all Shorthorns looked like those 2 heifers, I could get pretty interested.  (thumbsup)

DLD

We've got a pretty cool black one with just a little white on his face, out of a black baldie X-Man (Sim) x High Roller (MA) cow. He's just a couple of weeks old, but he's already gettin' his share of attention.  I'll try to get some pics when I get a chance.  We'll definitely be using him on more black ones this fall.

shortdawg

We've had JPJ's on our farm or in our barn since 3/07. I like him and have seen many good calves out of him. Everyone talks about Ohlde cattle, well Ohlde bred JPJ then Dustin Glover bought him. He's going to moderate and that is a fact, but he also adds muscle, style, hair, & guts, guts, guts. We showed a JPJ steer last year with a lot of success and we have another this year that has been shown just twice and already has a breed Champion under his belt. We've had two on our farm so far and they have both been born unassisted out of heifers. Did anyone see the Lot 1 heifer at K-Kim's ? Jungels leased him from Glover to use in their herd (for spring calves) and that's why you see so many out there in their sale. Schrags used him and a son of his to get some calving ease into thier herd. I have a full sib to the dam of the Lot 2 bull at Schrag's Sale and the other AP Female pictured at side so guess what I'll breed her to ? I tried last year but missed her. He's definitely not the savior of the breed, no bull is, but he sure has his place. The type he produces will sure help make that high $$$ corn go a little further. JMHO

shortdawg

BTW, My avatar pic is a heifer out of a JPJ daughter. Class winner as a Jan. baby at our State Show and Reserve Champ at our county show. Attached a pic of her at our county show. This young lady was showing her for my son who had another heifer in the drive.

Attachments

• DSC_9372.jpg
    DSC_9372.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,083

itk

I remember being at Kevin's sale when he sold that first JPJ heifer he had bought as a pair from Tim the fall before. The opinion on that day was nobody had ever seen a female like that but nobody would say if it was a good or bad type of unique. I personally thought she would sell for a ton but she ended up bringing like $3,500. To follow up on what shortdog was saying JPJ isn't for everyone. I personally think there is a lack of performance in enough of his offspring that we won't use him. Still their are other cow herds where he consistently kicks out great ones. I think there will be numerous people disappointed with their JPJ calves in the near future because alot of cows got bred to him that shouldn't have because he is the hot new sire not because he will work with them. That being said when we figure out exactly what type of cow and bloodlines he works with I feel he has alot to offer the breed and could make a lasting positive impact.

chambero

I seem to remember our friend "John in OK" that used to post on Showsteers talking about him probably a couple of years ago.

shortyjock89

Yeah, I do too, and Glover's have been getting some nice calves out of him for about 5 years....but I didn't know about JPJ until about 2 or 3 years ago.

shortdawg

I've seen JPJ out at Glover's and he is a deep sided rascal with a lot of guts. Dustin raised the last two JPJ steers we've shown. I've always said to use him on an upper-moderate cow or heifer that needed style, muscle, hair, and good wheels. That one that just sold at K-Kim was one of his best weaning weight heifers.

aj

If I A.I. this year it will be to jpj. He is th and pha clean..what is that worth. He is moderate BW...I think the shorties could use a shot of low bwt's. He's kinda red, his calves apparently have kind of a show calf look to them. He makes them easy calving.Darn I don't know  ???. His calves aren't big enough to compete in national shows...Cagwin hates him...he makes way to much sense to me. But by god he won't sire those 1800# cows that the breed loves so I spose he is no good. ;D