jakes proud jazz heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

here's two jakes proud jazz heifers

first one has good condition
2nd one is has more condition than it looks like in pic.  owner said she was way too fat

other than a couple of shorthorn steers, they were by far the most striking individuals at the fair as far as difference in type.

Attachments

• jake1.jpg
    jake1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 719
  • jake2.jpg
    jake2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 727

iowa

Nice pictures Knabe.  Mootharts in Iowa had a white JPZ heifer at the Iowa State Fair open show last week. I don't know what Glover's prefix is on their registrations, but the name started at as JG so I assume it was from Glovers. She was a September 06 heifer. She placed second or third in class. Very thick and moderate framed, maybe looked too much like a steer for me. The judge didn't know what do with her.  She was much more clubby looking in comparison to what was winning the classes. This was a very strong show. The O'Sullivan's were there with 3 of their Sullivan heifers as was Moothart's with their white Sullivan heifer which won the show.  Hunter's had 2 Sullivan heifers there was well.  Bloomberg was there 2 heifers from V8 ranch. Bloomberg took Reserve with their fall born heifer. Vogels had several nice cattle as well. There is certainly a difference in size between the Trump influenced heifers from Sullivan's and the JPZ heifer that Moothart's had.

knabe

the pics don't do justice to how wide based and overall how thick they are compared to most everything at the show.  the closest thing was the maine's.  it was pretty interesting as you mentioned seeing different cattle with trump influence next to a variety of other bloodlines. 

knabe

here's one more pic of the white jazz heifer which perhaps shows the width, thickness better.  also included is a lousy pic of the the FFA champion market steer.  i took this perspective because it shows some incredible thickness and spring through the rib compared to some of the other steers. other views were blocked by show equipment.

knabe

sorry, here's the pics.

first one is well, obviously the heifer, the second the champion ffa market steer

Attachments

• jazz3.jpg
    jazz3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 710
  • mktsteer.jpg
    mktsteer.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 714

garybob

Fron what I can tell, "PJ" is gonna be a real "cow changer" for many people in the Shorthorn biz. I think he will improve fleshing ease in one cross, without getting them steery and crippled. The 2 heifers in the photos are feminine at both ends, but long, and deep in the middle, with both spring of rib and a NATURAL "easy fleshing" look. Anyone seen any of his bull calves that have been  left bulls at a year of age?

iowa

You definitely get a better idea of thickness from the second picture of the white heifer.  Mootharts JPZ was definitely thick. Their White Solution heifer was pretty good as well.  The shorthorn females as a collective group were the best females I saw during the fair.  The Simmentals were a close second.  The Sullivan bred heifers were all flat out good and beautifully presented. The cattle Sullivan is breeding are flat out good. They are just a bigger made type of cattle than what JPZ throws. It would be interesting to see how a Sullivan bred heifer would cross with JPZ.  Farrer's in Indiana have a picture in the Show Circuit of a white JPZ steer that looks pretty nice.   The Iowa St Fair shorthorn show was a tough show with some very big hitters there.

iowa

Garybob, Tim Ohlde is using a 3 year old JPZ son as his Sr herdsire for his shorthorn herd. When I saw him he had just came off the fall calvers and looked very good.  Very long bodied, colored the same as JPZ, moderate frame and thick.  The JPZ heifer that Mootharts had was definitely feminine, and had plenty of muscle and thickness. I would have liked to have seen a little longer neck on her and maybe that is what made her look somewhat steery. She was still a pretty good one and she stood out like a sore thumb with all the Sullivan bred Solution and Trump heifers there.

garybob

iowa said:
Garybob, Tim Ohlde is using a 3 year old JPZ son as his Sr herdsire for his shorthorn herd. When I saw him he had just came off the fall calvers and looked very good.  Very long bodied, colored the same as JPZ, moderate frame and thick.  The JPZ heifer that Mootharts had was definitely feminine, and had plenty of muscle and thickness. I would have liked to have seen a little longer neck on her and maybe that is what made her look somewhat steery. She was still a pretty good one and she stood out like a sore thumb with all the Sullivan bred Solution and Trump heifers there.
He, in my opinion, is a breeding piece. He will be the one for all the hard-doing cows with good udders, that lack do-ability during hard times. $4-corn and $3 fuel will make him famous.

Jill

iowa said:
I love the Ohlde cattle and we have 5 JPJ on the way, but if they are like his Angus, feeding them will be an issue, they are almost too easy fleshing for someone that is used to pushing heifers and it doesn't take much to get them too fat.

garybob

Jill said:
iowa said:
I love the Ohlde cattle and we have 5 JPJ on the way, but if they are like his Angus, feeding them will be an issue, they are almost too easy fleshing for someone that is used to pushing heifers and it doesn't take much to get them too fat.
Jill, that is what makes him so valuable as a cow changer. We need cattle that will stay in good shape & re-breed, with MINIMAL supplementation. YOu're right, people will accidentally overfeed them. Guess everybody's used to hard-doing ones. Feed salesmen sponsoring trophies and buckles don't help, either.

Just my opinion.

BaryBob

knabe

as i mentioned in the first post on these heifer's, the one fat one (2nd pic), the owner said she kinda snuck up on him, and that he would be more careful next time, amazed she didn't need so much feed.  by the way, i like the white one, great top line, great thickness front to back, the fat one looked a little weak over the top and was not as capcious at her hooks compared to the white one.  by the way, they both got up extremely easy, no huffing and puffing, and struggling.  i will be interested how they show up for carcass genes.

knabe

anyone know anything about greenridge shorthorns in MO?

GR Joseph 9223 ET
GR BIG BEN

They're one of the few that post their results on tenderness/carcass traits

iowa

SRU you are right, the Moothart heifer is from Jett-Gardner and out of a PADO Suds grandaughter. I found the the program with the heifers registration and name and found it on the ASA site.  JG 0321 Wanda PJ

afhm

Does anyone know where the 2 JPJ heifers that Glover sold in the Power Plus sale last December ended up and how they have done if shown?

DLD

I believe that Kirk Duff bought the white heifer for his little boy. I don't think he's old enough to show in 4H, so she may not get shown much, if at all. I can't recall where the other one went.

shortdawg

I am defintely sold on JPJ. The steer in my profile is a JPJ and has done well for my son on the show circuit so far: two 2nds and a Reserve Breed Champion in his first three shows and he's still a little green. I've seen some yearling heifers and lots of calves out of him that were flat good. We also bought a JPJ spring bull calf that is solid white and polled. I plan to show him some ( maybe L'ville ) and collect him this spring. He is out of a Teapot cow that goes back to the Diamond Leggs and original Leggs bulls. We are excited about his future !