Jersey Nursing everything

Help Support Steer Planet:

luannv8

Does anybody know of a halter type product to put on to prevent nursing.  Tried the nose thing with wingnuts - but she gets them off. 

knabe

here's a more humane method.  they are from my great grandfather.  on of them pokes the cow in the side and both keep them from going through the fence.

Attachments

• photoo-3.JPG
    photoo-3.JPG
    561.2 KB · Views: 543
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    563.1 KB · Views: 539

Shady Lane

Try putting a regular brass ring in her nose, like you would put in a mature bull.

That often works.

I've often seen people heat a fence staple and wrap it around the ring as well, or braze it on.

I've always been affraid of the nail breaking and falling off and the cow injesting it though.

Most cases the bare ring will work.

renegadelivestock

cut the jaw part off of a horse halter, and put some roofing nails through the nose band (point up) worst that will happen is the cow will lose the halter

RSL Cattle Co.

Shady Lane said:
Try putting a regular brass ring in her nose, like you would put in a mature bull.

That often works.

I've often seen people heat a fence staple and wrap it around the ring as well, or braze it on.

I've always been affraid of the nail breaking and falling off and the cow injesting it though.

Most cases the bare ring will work.

We kinda do this but instead of heating a fence staple, take some chain about 3-4 links and a gate latch or clip, to clip the chain to the nose ring.

justintime

The nose ring usually works well. I usually put a good sized ring in as this prevents the animal from grabbing the teat with its mouth, yet allows it to graze and eat normally. I have found that this usually works but the chain hanging from the ring can be used in severe cases.

A few years ago, I had a 4 year old cow who had calved and I noticed that her calf was really getting thin and not doing well. It didn't seem sick and it seemed to be nursing often, and the cow milked well. The following day, the calf was even thinner and seemed to be bawling all the time when it wasn't trying to suck it's mother. It kinda had me stumped as the calf had no signs of being sick. Then as I was feeding the cows I figured out what was going on. The cow would lie down and suck herself dry. Talk about the ultimate in recycling!!  The poor calf was not getting any milk as the mother cow could reach around far enough to drain all four quarters. She had a ring in her nose faster than chain lightning, and within a day, the calf looked much better. I left the ring in her nose until the calf was weaned and then removed it. I had that cow in our herd for many years and she never did this again.

Mueller Show Cattle

I agree, put a metal ring in her nose that has the metal spikes attached. She will still be able to graze and eat with out a problem and it will not come out. I don't like the screw down type of nose rings because some always find a way to work them loose and get them out. Put the permanent ring that pierces through their nose and locks closed with a small screw and that have metal spikes on the ring that are welded on, she will not get that ring off.