Jill- how was Junior Nationals?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jill

I'm not ignoring you, I haven't had time to get my thought process back in order.  I'll get that done tomorrow, also send some pictures.  Had a great time!

red

Gee Jill, I thought before you unpaked, did 20 loads of laundry & collapsed you'd give us a report!
Just kidding. Hope you had a good time & glad you're back safe!

Red (clapping)

Jill

We had a great time at Jr. Nationals, Oklahoma did a fantastic job, the Hardcastle and crew can be very proud of a very successful Jr. Nationals.  It rained most of the time we were there so the temps stayed relatively low, they are just happy to see it wet rather than dry.  They did a really cool presentation at the opening ceremony of Jr. shows from the past several years and highlighted some of the kids that are still showing.  We have been going to these for the past 13 years so we have watched a number of these kids from the very start and it was REALLY cool to take a look back, you sometimes forget this is really a process most of them didn't just appear as productive young leaders. ;D.

The Kansas group as usual was there to have fun, I had a hard time finding pictures where everyone wasn't wet :).  Devon Stewart was named the national queen so we are pretty proud of her.  The boys did great, Logan was 8th in salesmanship and 3rd in photography, Tate was 2nd in photography and the fitting team was 9th.  They added a new catagory this year for the fitting team having the most fun and for those of you that know my boys, you probably already guessed that we were in 1st place for that, the judges had a hard time not laughing.  We have 4 more years to compete as a team in the Jr division so I figure they have no place to go but up.  We liked our cattle better than the judges did, but that's ok there were some really nice calves there.

Congratulations to Jeana, Kyla and Christy, it was a really nice show and we look forward to seeing everyone next year in Kansas City. June 29- July 5 (different dates than normal).  My picture files are to big so I'll have to send them to Red to fix.

red

wow, sounds great!
Oklahoma has had lots of experience so I'm sure they got it down pat!
do you have the results?

Red

Jill

Here are the pictures, thanks Red.  I don't have the full results, most of them are posted on Showsteers.  The downside of showing is that you don't get to watch much of the show.

Attachments

• 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 264
  • 094.JPG
    094.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 121.JPG
    121.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 252
  • 126.JPG
    126.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 246
  • 235.JPG
    235.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 256

red

great pictures Jill!
Parents- lock up your daughters when those boys get to dating age!!!!

Red (clapping)

justme

lock up my daughters no way!  My daughter is about the age of her oldest....good boys are hard to find! (lol)

shortyjock89

say...what's that roan calf doin in that one picture..must be a Shorty x Maine Lo. %...either that or she spent an extra week in Lawton for fun lol

Jill

The calf is actually 3/4 shorthorn, she was part of his cow/calf pair from last year sired by a bull from Tyler Atwood. 
The steer and little girl in the yellow shirts (Tomson I think) anyway, that steer was reserve and champion bred and owned and her sister was champion Maintainer.
I would go ahead and lock up the girls now ;), they are a wild group!  I wish you all could see the video of that fit job, they had everyone in laughing, my youngest spent the 1st 10 minutes with the blower blowing his cheeks for laughs.  The little girl sitting at the front of that picture is Taylor Bacon (Becky Grathwohls' daughter) she is trying to give them instructions on what to do, they weren't listening very well, anyway, they had a great time and that is what is most important at this age.

Jill

You know I'm not really sure, I would guess there were around 400 head.  I like the Maine Jr. Nationals because it is still small enough that anyone that wants to can compete is welcome.  Some of the larger breeds have gone to age restrictions and many of the contest are limited to 2 or 3 per state, I don't really like that on a Jr. level, this is how these kids learn and I think they get more out of the contest than they will ever get from showing cattle.

shortyjock89

Jill said:
You know I'm not really sure, I would guess there were around 400 head.  I like the Maine Jr. Nationals because it is still small enough that anyone that wants to can compete is welcome.  Some of the larger breeds have gone to age restrictions and many of the contest are limited to 2 or 3 per state, I don't really like that on a Jr. level, this is how these kids learn and I think they get more out of the contest than they will ever get from showing cattle.

I thought there would be more than that...at our Shorthorn Jr. Natl's there are usually 700+ and the Angus are like 1100+

shortdawg

I hear the Maine, Chi, and Shorthorn are going to be under one roof next year at the American Royal.  Does anyone know if that is true ?

Jill

That is correct June 29-July 4th or 5th, for those of us that have alot of double registered cattle, but can only afford to be gone for 1 show this will be a really good thing.  I think from the association side it will safe a fortune in having 1 show and the numbers should be up at all.

Jill

I don't know exactly how they have it set up, and I guess I should back track here.  The Maine and Chis are being promoted as being together, I haven't seen it documented anywhere that the Shorthorns will be also, but that is what I have heard from several reliable sources.

shortdawg

Our Jr. Nat'ls are scheduled for the same time and the same place. I was told the facilities there would handle all three sufficiently. I think it would be cool to be able to meet a lot of the folks that show other breeds.