jm vortec

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

What is his pha status? I assumed he was clean but I haven't heard for sure. He seems to be the next great thing in show cattle.

OH Breeder

aj, i have watched all sites. Have not seen anything on his PH status. Like him as a THF alterantive.

aj

Thanks. Since they weren't advertising him as clean, I wondered if there was a problem. It is just to darn easy to test em anymore. ;)

stick

on the ASA site the owners are listed as:  JOSEPH R METZGER II
                                            ROSSVILLE IN
                                                    765-379-2926

He actually is an aged bull, born in '98

stick

if that's the case, pretty well age then.  ;D (and no, I'm not making light of anyones misfortune)

aj

In theory could I buy a straw of semen and send it in to get tested for pha?  :-*

DL

aj said:
In theory could I buy a straw of semen and send it in to get tested for pha?  :-*

I don't think that the bull has been tested - you could send in a straw and get it tested....

Ozraptor

Dumb Question #1

Who/what is jm vortec (other than a good name for a SF character)?

May the force be with you

Jack

red

OZraptor, never a dumb question- only dumb minds!
1pic454.jpg

JM Vortec is a Shorthorn bull.

AJ- SEK has semen for $50.

Red back in the saddle!!!

Jill

dragon lady said:
aj said:

I don't think that the bull has been tested - you could send in a straw and get it tested....
Will they release results without permission from the owner?

red

You know, that's an interesting question Jill! If you send in a sample on a bull that you don't own because it's not been done, can you get the results or is that an owner's only right?

Comments?

Red

DL

red said:
You know, that's an interesting question Jill! If you send in a sample on a bull that you don't own because it's not been done, can you get the results or is that an owner's only right?

Comments?

Red

All I can say is that many people have sent in sample of semen from bulls they do not own and gotten results.....seems to me that if you are selling semen there is no restiriction implicit in it's sale......haven't seen a "For insemination of female cattle only - not to be used for genetic testing"

shortdawg

I was told matter of factly on showsteers last year that testing a bull you don't own was not something you should be doing. I didn't really see any problem with it if you don't share the results. What do you all think ?

DL

shortdawg said:
I was told matter of factly on showsteers last year that testing a bull you don't own was not something you should be doing. I didn't really see any problem with it if you don't share the results. What do you all think ?

If I had sitting in my tank semen from an untested bull and the owner wouldn't test him I would send in a straw (or if I was reallly testy dump the semen!  ;D) - if the owner won't step up to the plate then I guess others will have to wash the dishes. I do know that there were some unhappy bull owners when SEK took the proactive approach - I think they did the right thing and it all goes back to honesty, common decency, and a titch of ethics - the bull owner might not appreciate it, but then we as buyers don't appreciate selling semen from untested bulls either (that was pretty round about!

itk

First of all $50 is a great buy for Vortec semen. Since it happened to us if you are going to send in samples to get tested make sure you get the bill and it is not sent to the owners. We own quite a few donor cows that we bought from other operations however we had not yet flushed the cows. People had ET calves purchased from the former owner and requested tests without notifying us. Needless to say we were alittle upset having to pay for tests that we did not request on cows that might not ever get flushed at our place. This was early on in the testing process so I'm sure they have most of the wrinkles out but it never hurts just to give the owner a call. They might even have all the tests done they just haven't been posted yet. Not saying you shouldn't do it just be courteous of the owner. I'm also not sure if you could get them posted on the official lists because you have to be an owner to release DNA if I remember right.

Ozraptor

red said:
OZraptor, never a dumb question- only dumb minds!
1pic454.jpg

JM Vortec is a Shorthorn bull.

AJ- SEK has semen for $50.

Red back in the saddle!!!
[/quote

Is this the standard price of a straw of semen?

Regards

Jack]

red

Jack- semen varies for different breeds, the popularity of the bull, the avaliability & the general good old fashion hype.
Most semen for beef bulls seems to run in the $20 range. Some will sell for a great deal less. Others can sell for over 500-1000 plus.
go to http://www.sekgenetics.com/  for some ideas on different prices & bulls.

Red

DL

itk said:
First of all $50 is a great buy for Vortec semen. Since it happened to us if you are going to send in samples to get tested make sure you get the bill and it is not sent to the owners. We own quite a few donor cows that we bought from other operations however we had not yet flushed the cows. People had ET calves purchased from the former owner and requested tests without notifying us. Needless to say we were alittle upset having to pay for tests that we did not request on cows that might not ever get flushed at our place. This was early on in the testing process so I'm sure they have most of the wrinkles out but it never hurts just to give the owner a call. They might even have all the tests done they just haven't been posted yet. Not saying you shouldn't do it just be courteous of the owner. I'm also not sure if you could get them posted on the official lists because you have to be an owner to release DNA if I remember right.

Being courteous to the owner is nice - being courteous to buyers is nice too. For the Maines it appears that if the bull has been collected and if he was tested then he can be listed officially (because there is DNA on file). I think it may be different in the Shorthorns. The official lists are really the "last resort" - most people rely on other sources. Last I talked to Dr B Vortec had not been tested and I assumed that a sample had not been submitted. I can check.