Jordan Acres sale

Help Support Steer Planet:

stick

Would anyone know what the Proud Jazz heifer brought? I believe she was lot 28A

stick

Thanks for the info.. I kinda got mixed signals on her from their footnote

shortyjock89

yeah, me too.  If she had been a March, we would have tried to come home with her. 

tucker

the jazz cattle i have seen lack performence, and have a straight front shoulder.he may have a tuff time staying popular. who wants 900 lbs. yearling wt. bulls. they are cute and hairy and may make nice furballs and show calves but no real world perfomence.

shortyjock89

Shebet21 said:
Was there only one Jazz heifer on the sale?

Yeah, she was.  She was a different type from all the other heifers too.

Tucker- I agree about them lacking performance, and I think it really depends on the cow's shoulder on whether the calves are too straight.  I will agree that some of the Proud Jazz cattle could use some fixing up in their shoulder though, and they certainly do need more performance, and I like moderate framed cattle, but not puds.

Shebet21

Thanks Justin,
I saw her briefly last night on a trailer when she was headed to her new home.  I bought a bred from a sale in Indiana and had a guy headed to North Dakota drop her off and he had the Jazz calf on as well. I'll agree she was  small but I also think Jazz has his place on the right kind of cow, big cows just cost too much to maintain.

shortyjock89

Oh, I definitely agree that Proud Jazz has his place, and the heifer was well built, stout, and hairy, but is also smaller than the March Double Vision x Trump heifer we have at home.  Didn't Jungles buy the JPJ heifer?

shortyjock89

I'm almost certain it was Jungles and someone else.  There were a lot of heifers that sold cheaper than what they should have.  If we had more room, we would have brought home a couple more and probably re sold them for over double what we paid.

Jill

I have a little different opinion on JPJ I guess.  I think he works great as a calving ease sire and to downsize, I think people got caught up in the hype and bred him to everything and there isn't a bull out there that works that way.  We flushed him with a 1800 pound donor and have a really nice calf just the opposite of what you describe, she is on the bigger side frame wise, no shoulder great structure and not a drop of hair.  I think the trick is finding what his market is and using him there, he isn't probably going to work on the mid to smaller frame cattle.

TJ

tucker said:
the jazz cattle i have seen lack performence, and have a straight front shoulder.he may have a tuff time staying popular. who wants 900 lbs. yearling wt. bulls. they are cute and hairy and may make nice furballs and show calves but no real world perfomence.

I always knew that he was small, but does he really sire cattle that small?  

Jill & Shebet21 both make really good points about JPJ & OFS realizes the same. 

Who wants a 900 lb. yearling wt. bull?  I honestly don't know how many Shorthorn breeders would want something that small, but I do know plenty of commercial guys who want 1,000 lb. yearling wt. bulls.  I also know that if I owned several 1,800-2,000 lb. Shorthorn cows, I would be using Jakes Proud Jazz or something similar in size on every single one of them, in an attempt get that mature cow size down to a more pratical size.  Performance & efficiency are 2 totally different things.  BIG cows + $6 & $7 corn = a shrinking bank account & unless you are making the big bucks & need a tax write off, it can lead to a herd dispersal sale.  IMHO, Jakes Proud Jazz is probably not a bull that most will want to use on their smaller/moderate cows, but he is exactly the type of bull to use on big Shorthorns.  If not him, the breed better find something similar for those BIG cows.    

Davis Shorthorns

yea, I am using him on my donor this year for her natural calf and I know that he will moderate her some.  She is a larger framed cow and I think needs it.  Also I dont want any complications with her calving.  He has his place but like most people said not on smaller cattle.

shortdawg

I've stated many times on here that he needs to be used on upper-moderate to large framed cows that need style, hair, soundness, and muscle. He is not a fix all bull but does have his place for sure. We have a fall born steer in the barn that will be a 1300 pounder by Feb. out of JPJ.

K_State_Katy

I think Jazz needs to be used the same way the Angus use emblazon. He's going to do all the same things emblazon does to make them pretty and bring them down a tick in frame score. He defiantly has a place in the shorthorn breed. Their are defiantly plenty of cattle that can stand up to his frame score...like most of the Maine influenced cattle. He is also going to increase feed efficiency and you aren't going to have to poke it to them like you have to some framier cattle to make them look good in the ring.