JPJ or son?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

It might be lovingfarms.com    Scott had some utube deals set up too. I have a hard copy. I think their son was named prestige or something. They kinda bought him under the radar from Rocker maybe?

J

JTM

We have had a lot of success the last couple of years breeding heifers to JPJ. This year I am going to use sexed heifer semen from JSF Capiche. Have heard some pretty good reports on his calves.

cattlefarmer

What about the bull that kind of started the JPJ revolution?  JSF Jazz 34s  Just an observation may not be the showest bull but sires an awfully functional set of cattle. jhmo

sue

The Jazz son I really liked in louisville was SS REd Rocket. Schrags in SD bred him, solid red long hipped and sound.

Ohlde's (OCC) in Kansas bred JPJ, they may have some suggestions too. I might add that OCC are huge and very respected Angus breeders too?? It dosent get any bigger then OCC.... nice honest cattle people.

LFFASHOWER

just thinking about using monopoly on her she has a nice drifter calf on her that we are happy with

aj

Does jpj throw calves that are redder than he looks. We had 4 or 5 calves and seemed like they were dark red or mostly red. Seemed like someone was concerned that jpj was more of a roan. Had some captain obvious calves that were also mostly red. Just seemed weird on the jpj calves.

Okotoks

aj said:
Does jpj throw calves that are redder than he looks. We had 4 or 5 calves and seemed like they were dark red or mostly red. Seemed like someone was concerned that jpj was more of a roan. Had some captain obvious calves that were also mostly red. Just seemed weird on the jpj calves.
Was there any difference between JPJ and Obvious for birth weights?

aj

Just off the top of my head it seemed like captain did a better job of lowering bwts on the big birth weight type cows. I did have one jpj calf with a 108# deal. She always throws big big calves. I need to run the numbers. Most of my captains were heifer calves out of this minimum sample.

garybob

aj said:
Just off the top of my head it seemed like captain did a better job of lowering bwts on the big birth weight type cows. I did have one jpj calf with a 108# deal. She always throws big big calves. I need to run the numbers. Most of my captains were heifer calves out of this minimum sample.
How were the captain heifer calves, as far as "vigor" at birth?

GB

aj

The captain calves were probably a tick more lively. They didn't drop in snow or real cold weather. One thing I've noticed is that it is harder to weigh a 70# calf than it is a 100 calf cause the 70# is always squirmy and hard to get in and keep in the calf sling long enough to lever them up. I like both bulls. seems like the jazz calves have kind of a trademark heads as babies. Color me thinking that the capt is probably a little more pre potent in improving bwt and vigor. But jpj calves are along the same line. I almost wonder if the capt might be a tick better heifer bull. Who knows?

shortdawg

aj said:

I've had JPJ's of about every color. JPJ is more of a roan in person. Got a heifer here now out of him and a roan cow that is solid light red

J

JTM

aj said:
The captain calves were probably a tick more lively. They didn't drop in snow or real cold weather. One thing I've noticed is that it is harder to weigh a 70# calf than it is a 100 calf cause the 70# is always squirmy and hard to get in and keep in the calf sling long enough to lever them up. I like both bulls. seems like the jazz calves have kind of a trademark heads as babies. Color me thinking that the capt is probably a little more pre potent in improving bwt and vigor. But jpj calves are along the same line. I almost wonder if the capt might be a tick better heifer bull. Who knows?
Very good information here. I have noticed that JPJ has done better for us with calf vigor and birthweights. Although, his birthweights are still not ideal. I still want to avoid the 90-95# bull calf on those first calf heifers. JPJ seems to keep the birthweights down but not completely where I would want them. I like Captain Obvious and this info inches me closer to trying him on some PB heifers. I really like the 329 bull that Sue and TrevorGuyCC have though.

I've had red, white, and roan JPJ calves.