JPJ

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

AJ, if you are having good results AIing with a straw type gun, don't let the amps scare you. The protocol is just different. You thaw the amps in an ice bath for a certain amount of time, then you have a pipette that is a little bit larger around, which does make it feel different, but you attach a syringe via a rubber tube, hose, to one end of the pipette and suck the semen into the other end of the pipette, go to the cow and place the semen in the soft spot and wha-la, 283 days later you get a great old line reintroduced into your herd, so all you need to do this is a styrofoam ice-water thaw box, a scribe to open your amp, special pipettes for amps, and a small syringe and a tube to deliver your semen.

itk

garybob said:
maine12 said:
willhe add bone, lower quarter? will he put some set to the back legs?
Didn't mean to upset you. Fact of business, I've done my fair share of  crying ,each and every time I take my Bumper-trailer "load" of slick-haired , red 'n dark roan , calves to my local Feeder Auction. Until the entire Shorthorn Breed, by and large, stops chasing the Jackpot Ribbon Show, I am a "sitting Duck", as far as Bullcrap, unjustified discounts. The buyers and traders in my area are always "arm's length away" from any change. Even beneficial ones.
What I'd like to see happen? It's very simple. We could all agree on pedigrees, "if":
1. Everybody's Show-winning heifer makes a fail-safe cow that your Elders go to the Coffee Shop & brag about, instead of Cursing every-other-syllable. All too often, the adults who finance these projects are dissappointed in the maternal Performance of these Project-hiefers. We used to be synomymous with "Cow".
2. Y'uns kick Butt'ntake names in the Carcass show after claiming the on-hoof Championship and rate-of-gain awards. Maybe, just maybe, if the Owner of your nearest Auction Yard( you know, the one who pays premiums and supports the Junior Auction every year ) keeps seeing Roan steers CONSISTENTLY win your County's Carcass show,with acceptable Gain and efficiency numbers, He might just get the hint.

Your generation is gonna be in the driver's seat. Make wise decisions.

I don't think it is at all unrealistic to tie together "show" and "grow".

Believe.

GB

I think the junior heifer program is a great way to introduce commercial people to shorthorns. Most of our bull sales come from people who bought their kids a shorthorn heifer from us a few years earlier. They take the heifer home breed it to their angus bull and in the fall that heifer will bring in the biggest calf. By thinking in reverse they figure out if they put a shorthorn bull on their cows they will get the same results. We were also fortunate enough that the owner of the local salebarn bought his son a steer from us a few years ago so everytime we bring in a load of calves now we count on topping the market that day. I agree that we need to be able to show the functionality of shorthorn cattle to the commercial sector and if done correctly this can be accomplished in some small way through the showring.

garybob

That's just it. I don't think we are showing the Commercial Sector enough of that ol' time Shorthorn maternal power. We aren't going to get there, either, by, selecting for cattle raised three or four generations in a high-input (creep-feeding, Corn Silage, Alfalfa Hay, hormone shots, etc. )environment. Often times, we are given a black eye, so to speak, whenever a VERY INFLUENTIAL individual buys a Shorthorn heifer for his Grandchildren to show, and said heifer turns out to be Anestrous ,Cystic, Skeletallly un-sound, doesn't milk, has Balloon teats on the first calf, etc. When this happens, you can bet there'll never be another Shorthorn on the place. What's worse is, people with the money to buy these high-dollar heifers tend to be very influential within the social frame-work of their communities. Therefore, these guys can cause a lot of damage to the breed whenever they go to the ''Coffee Shop" and tell others not to make the same type of purchase.

I love this breed. I have said all along, we've got to examine how we've goofed up, as a breed, then act upon what the facts are. We can't continue to delusionally think that the polled, solid-red son of a club-calf bull is gonna attract the large-scale cow-calf operator. Especially if He is too tight-wound and waddles like a fat-hog ( on small feet with shallow heels and virtually no heel pad), and has Chryptorchid Testicles.

I love this breed, and, no matter how hard i work to eliminate these kinds of trouble from my herd, it will be of no avail, until we UNITE as a Breed Association and work together to maintain our show ring appeal, while going back toward the maternal function we once DEFINED, not defied.

GB

garybob

aj said:
itk I have heard speculation that shorthorn cattle maybe don't grad as well as they did 30 years ago(possibly because of milking, and irish shorthorns, and maine genetics. If jpj is soft looking and old school genetics is there a possibility that he is a source of better marbling fleshing ability kind of stuff. If we assume the genestar deal is relevent and say jpj is a 2of 2star on marbling , I think he would be viable new germ plasm. If the softer look isn't a improvement in marbling and the old cattle graded choice because they were wasty and overfed and had to many grade 4's or whatever. I would like to know his markers for the heck of it. Fleshing ability on cows is just just a form of being wasty really. In a sawdust and sand nutritional scenario though that can be of value. I don't think it hurts to sample the old genetics. They may not work I don't know. I guess I would try jpj for that reason. He is in straws and big gene is in amps and I don't know if I could do amps. Plus leader 21 st, big gene, and old school semen is hard to find high dollar. I am not up to date on the latest genex star deal...they may have more than 2 now. And maybe its not the total answer. It is what it is and it looks like to me that jpj is old school genetics for better or worse. Just my opinion.
I actually think that the Rodeo Drive-bred Cattle as well the other Chi-influence Appendix-derived genetics did wonders for Gain, Cutability, Conversion, and Yield Grade, but, KILLED our marbling. I don't want to blame a single sire who did so much for us, but..............................................

GB

Doc

garybob said:
That's just it. I don't think we are showing the Commercial Sector enough of that ol' time Shorthorn maternal power. We aren't going to get there, either, by, selecting for cattle raised three or four generations in a high-input (creep-feeding, Corn Silage, Alfalfa Hay, hormone shots, etc. )environment. Often times, we are given a black eye, so to speak, whenever a VERY INFLUENTIAL individual buys a Shorthorn heifer for his Grandchildren to show, and said heifer turns out to be Anestrous ,Cystic, Skeletallly un-sound, doesn't milk, has Balloon teats on the first calf, etc. When this happens, you can bet there'll never be another Shorthorn on the place. What's worse is, people with the money to buy these high-dollar heifers tend to be very influential within the social frame-work of their communities. Therefore, these guys can cause a lot of damage to the breed whenever they go to the ''Coffee Shop" and tell others not to make the same type of purchase.

I love this breed. I have said all along, we've got to examine how we've goofed up, as a breed, then act upon what the facts are. We can't continue to delusionally think that the polled, solid-red son of a club-calf bull is gonna attract the large-scale cow-calf operator. Especially if He is too tight-wound and waddles like a fat-hog ( on small feet with shallow heels and virtually no heel pad), and has Chryptorchid Testicles.

I love this breed, and, no matter how hard i work to eliminate these kinds of trouble from my herd, it will be of no avail, until we UNITE as a Breed Association and work together to maintain our show ring appeal, while going back toward the maternal function we once DEFINED, not defied.

GB
GB, I'll tell you, IMO for someone who says they love this breed , you sure would have a hard time telling it by reading your posts. I not saying that Shorties are the perfect breed , but I think the cattle & the Breed has more going for them that what you seem to give them credit for. I've probably not been raising them as long as you(me since 1972), & I don't make my living off of them , but they do have to be profitable around my house . In your earlier post you mentioned the Irish cattle as one line of cattle hurting the carcass in Shorties, respectfully I have to disagree. 3 years ago we had a Stride( Deerpark Improver x Rose T90 son THF) steer with the largest ribeye in the Indiana feed out, out of like 670 head. We also have had 2 steers sired by our bull Durango ( Improver 57th x Rose T90) that won the 2 largest carcass shows in Tennessee. Just my way of seeing things, right or wrong. ;D

garybob

Doc said:
garybob said:

GB
GB, I'll tell you, IMO for someone who says they love this breed , you sure would have a hard time telling it by reading your posts. I not saying that Shorties are the perfect breed , but I think the cattle & the Breed has more going for them that what you seem to give them credit for. I've probably not been raising them as long as you(me since 1972), & I don't make my living off of them , but they do have to be profitable around my house . In your earlier post you mentioned the Irish cattle as one line of cattle hurting the carcass in Shorties, respectfully I have to disagree. 3 years ago we had a Stride( Deerpark Improver x Rose T90 son THF) steer with the largest ribeye in the Indiana feed out, out of like 670 head. We also have had 2 steers sired by our bull Durango ( Improver 57th x Rose T90) that won the 2 largest carcass shows in Tennessee. Just my way of seeing things, right or wrong. ;D
Doc,
My love for the breed includes goals for commercial acceptance, while yours includes Wine and cheese parties in Virginia, Illinois.
Let's just agree to disagree, and, be Gentlemen about it.
What is your opinion, by the way, about Cryptorchid Testicles? Why, as a breed, haven't we considered Twisted Breeding Jewells as a genetic defect?
GB

Doc

[ GB, I'll tell you, IMO for someone who says they love this breed , you sure would have a hard time telling it by reading your posts. I not saying that Shorties are the perfect breed , but I think the cattle & the Breed has more going for them that what you seem to give them credit for. I've probably not been raising them as long as you(me since 1972), & I don't make my living off of them , but they do have to be profitable around my house . In your earlier post you mentioned the Irish cattle as one line of cattle hurting the carcass in Shorties, respectfully I have to disagree. 3 years ago we had a Stride( Deerpark Improver x Rose T90 son THF) steer with the largest ribeye in the Indiana feed out, out of like 670 head. We also have had 2 steers sired by our bull Durango ( Improver 57th x Rose T90) that won the 2 largest carcass shows in Tennessee. Just my way of seeing things, right or wrong. ;D
[/quote]Doc,
My love for the breed includes goals for commercial acceptance, while yours includes Wine and cheese parties in Virginia, Illinois.
Let's just agree to disagree, and, be Gentlemen about it.
What is your opinion, by the way, about Cryptorchid Testicles? Why, as a breed, haven't we considered Twisted Breeding Jewells as a genetic defect?
GB
[/quote]
GB, I don't understand where you got the idea from my post that I wasn't pushing for commercial acceptance. Yes , I do go to Cagwins' sale every year, I like to see my friends  & see the cattle he is selling(mainly the calves) to  decide if I want to use certain genetics. But I also go to about 12-15 others a year also. My cattle have to perform on fescue pastures & fescue hay.
As far as Testicle problems go , twisted testicles are a highly heritable trait & are an issue in some Shorthorn bulls, along with some other breeds. We also need to watch for too much sheath & bad udders, but there again the Shorthorn breed doesn't have the monopoly on these issues. These are just common sense genetic traits ,that wether you are a reg. breeder or a commercial breeder you are always having to watch for & hopefully cull for if it shows up in your herd.
Also ,if somehow you got the impression from my post I wasn't being a Gentleman , I do apologize.

justintime

GB, I really like your input on these topics as you bring the commercial sector to every discussion. For me, this is a good thing, as the Shorthorn breed especially in the US seems to have decided that commercial acceptance is too hard a row to hoe. I applaud your efforts to raise cattle that can have commercial acceptance. I do think you can have cattle that work in both the show ring and in the commercial world. As the old saying goes, there is oftentimes a difference between breeding show cattle and showing breeding cattle. All we need to do is go back to showing breeding stock. Here in Canada, I think we are much closer to acheiving this, but that is just my opinion.

You made reference to the Irish cattle and I thought I would take you back in time a little. At the time of the first Irish imports into North America, in the very early 70s, we made a trip to Kansas to see the original Irish cattle that were brought into the US by Beef Genetics Research, Inc, at Mankato, KS. Dick Judy toured us around his ranch and showed us all his cattle, not only the Shorthorns he had imported. ( I still think the Beef Friesen cattle we saw there were some of the best cattle I ever saw of any breed that came from Europe. If the had not looked like Holstiens in color, I think they may have been more readily accepted in the cattle industry) I remember seeing Deerpark Dividend as if it was yesterday. Few bulls have impressed me in my lifetime, as much as this bull did.I remember saying when we left that day, that we had just seen the best bull we had ever seen... but we had also seen the worst bull we had ever seen. We tried to by Dividend that day, and Dick Judy told us he was not for sale. A few weeks later, I received a letter from Dick Judy, in which he offered us Deerpark Improver, Deerpark Dividend and all the semen he had collected from both bulls,  for $30,000. My partners and I talked this offer over and decided to bring some other cattle from Ireland rather than spend this much money. We purchased Highfield Irish Mist, in Ireland for a grand sum of $300, and it cost us $1800 for the flight over, a 30 day quarentine in a government quarentine station on an island in the St. Lawrence River, a 2000 mile trip across the country and another 30 day quarentine at another quarantine station in Alberta. I often have wondered what this would have cost today!(  Alden's bought Dividend and Improver from BGR a year later).

One of my partners went to Ireland and brought back an pile of pictures and info. What we felt that the Irish strain could do for Shorthorns of the day  were....(1) improve udder quality, (2) improve testicle shape and size and (3) improve muscling, (4) improve the rump structure, especially between hooks and pins.
It was hard to find a Shorthorn bull without Chryporchid testicles in this era. I travelled to many sales in the US looking for a herd sire and simply could not find a good bull without this problem. The reason this was so important to me was that the large bull sales here in Canada culled extremely hard for testicle shape and size, and we could not chance using a bull with poor testicles. We never saw an Irish Shorthorn bull with poor shaped testicles. The defects you are referring to, IMO, have come from other genetics in the breed. I also think that many of the Irish strain, helped us correct the udders on our cattle. There were also a few Irish bulls that did not help in this regard. We were fortunate in that Irish Mist cleaned up even the worse udders in one generation.

Another thing I want to point out is in regards to carcass quality. We were operating a feedlot at the time we imported the Irish cattle. We were also collecting individual carcass data on every animal we fed in the feedlot. The Canadian government had a " blue tag" program in which these special blue tages could be purchased for $1 each and the packing plant had to send the carcass data to the owner. Many of the Irish cattle appeared to be lacking in ribeye by visual appearance, however, to my surprise, Irish sired cattle had a signifigant larger ribeye than animals sired by any other US and Canadian sires we used. I still have the records and Irish Mist sired progeny averaged 2.15 sq. inches more ribeye muscle than any other Shorthorn sire we used. We also tested lots of other breeds as a comparison. Personally, I think the Irish lines did much to  help carcass quality in Shorthorns.

We all knew that the Irish cattle also had some poor qualities. We used them to bring improvement is a few areas, and I think they did that. Like many other bloodlines, they worked best when combined with others. To me, this is what breeding cattle is all about. It is identifying cattle that are superior in a given trait(s) and using them to improve that trait, then moving on to find improvement from others.

aj

Are big ribeyes a good thing though? I was told selecting for big ribeyes was simply selecting for big cattle. What is your thoughts on irish grading ability?

justintime

aj, I should clarify this a little. I agree with you about very big ribeyes. Shorthorns of this era, were being discounted by the packers because they had small ribeyes, and  overall carcass quality in general. The packers also felt that Shorthorns had too much waste as well. The Irish cattle improver ribeye areas and reduced the waste on these cattle, but the ribeye areas were not too big... they were just more acceptable in comparison to other breeds.

knabe

DLD said:
I've been around plenty of JPJ's, and I guess maybe I see him a little differently than some do. He's not overwhelming in terms of bone or muscle - in fact, to me what makes him great is that he's not extreme in any area. He's sound and nicely balanced with adequate bone and muscle. His strength is his completeness, his ability to offer enough bone and muscle, enough depth and capacity, enough soundness, and enough look and balance to mate well with most anything without producing extremes (or freaks, or train wrecks - whatever you wanna call 'em).

excelling at moderation?  do we even know what this looks like?  with a single change changer trait, it's impossible to fix phenotype without allowing it to be fixed.  too much heterozygosity.  got to see the package over time rather than hope it can be created when one sees a special combination which may be due to hybridity rather than being fixed.

knabe

aj said:
itk I have heard speculation that shorthorn cattle maybe don't grad as well as they did 30 years ago(possibly because of milking, and irish shorthorns, and maine genetics. If jpj is soft looking and old school genetics is there a possibility that he is a source of better marbling fleshing ability kind of stuff. If we assume the genestar deal is relevent and say jpj is a 2of 2star on marbling , I think he would be viable new germ plasm. If the softer look isn't a improvement in marbling and the old cattle graded choice because they were wasty and overfed and had to many grade 4's or whatever. I would like to know his markers for the heck of it. Fleshing ability on cows is just just a form of being wasty really. In a sawdust and sand nutritional scenario though that can be of value. I don't think it hurts to sample the old genetics. They may not work I don't know. I guess I would try jpj for that reason. He is in straws and big gene is in amps and I don't know if I could do amps. Plus leader 21 st, big gene, and old school semen is hard to find high dollar. I am not up to date on the latest genex star deal...they may have more than 2 now. And maybe its not the total answer. It is what it is and it looks like to me that jpj is old school genetics for better or worse. Just my opinion.

all cattle have being grading less (choice and above), as they are not needed in 65% of the market.  15% goes to fast food restaurants, 50% to costco, walmart and other marketes where fat is a luxury.  that said, it would still be nice to have the genetics in them and placed on feed longer, all though who would pay for potential unutilized?

genestar for marbling and quality grade.  there are two genes for each, so a total of 4 genes and eight stars.  i can't remember their effect, but i think one of the marbling genes accounts for 5% of the total marbling, don't know what the other one does, or the QG genes.  to me, it's pretty simple, sample the holstein breed for these genes, and the one's that aren't responsible for it being a holstein, are candidates for marbling, as well as taking the fat off the back.  have to be careful here, as the fat in holsteins were selectively taken off the back, the cow knew what percentage it needed, so it moved it elsewhere, to the knob, inside the ribcage and other places.

shortdawg

Describing a bull as being complete is not excelling in moderation IMHO. I too have seen JPJ and he is very balanced. If you go off the charts in one way or another you could be in for a wreck.

garybob

Dawg,

In all of my "rants", that is the same"Message" I've tried to convey, albeit in a more direct, factual manner that is sometimes considerred too coarse, and, offnesive. Bolze had the same problem, and, now He's gone.

GB

DLD

knabe said:
DLD said:
I've been around plenty of JPJ's, and I guess maybe I see him a little differently than some do. He's not overwhelming in terms of bone or muscle - in fact, to me what makes him great is that he's not extreme in any area. He's sound and nicely balanced with adequate bone and muscle. His strength is his completeness, his ability to offer enough bone and muscle, enough depth and capacity, enough soundness, and enough look and balance to mate well with most anything without producing extremes (or freaks, or train wrecks - whatever you wanna call 'em).

excelling at moderation?  do we even know what this looks like?  with a single change changer trait, it's impossible to fix phenotype without allowing it to be fixed.  too much heterozygosity.  got to see the package over time rather than hope it can be created when one sees a special combination which may be due to hybridity rather than being fixed.

Knabe, I think my post pretty clearly said what I meant. I really don't understand what you're trying to say. Excelling at moderation is your term, not mine - I can't explain it, maybe you can? Are you trying to say that we need extremely crooked legs to fix straight ones? Frame 7's to fix frame 4's? Extremely light muscled cattle to "fix" some of the problems that go along with extremely heavy muscle (like bw, fertility, etc...)? Does that mean there's no need for middle of the road, sound, complete cattle because they don't "fix" anything??? If there's no place for cattle that aren't broke, why did we need to "fix" any of 'em??? I guess I just don't understand what your point is.

aj

I'm with you dld. What is the purpose of a cow that weans a 1000 # calf if she never breeds back because her her condition is poor because she milks more than her enviroment can take. Just because a car  can run 100 mph you don't do it cause in the long run something has to give. The old couple who is driving 55 mph will beat the guy running 100 mph who stops at every stop to buy a t-shirt and get a pepsi. Cattle are supposed to fit a enviroment. Cows are supposed to pay for the ranch not the ranch pay for the cows. From a enviroment standpoint there is for sure a middle of the road.

knabe

DLD said:
Does that mean there's no need for middle of the road, sound, complete cattle because they don't "fix" anything??? If there's no place for cattle that aren't broke, why did we need to "fix" any of 'em??? I guess I just don't understand what your point is.
DLD
i'm saying that there isn't enough multi generation genetics in some cattle to "fix" phenotypes progeny in their background.  I am all for the complete cattle, and from your perspective, i like this term better than excelling at moderation.  my attempt at using the term  "excelling at moderation" is searching for a term that is something of a phenotype tightener.  when one jumps from standard deviation of anything, even within a deviation, but from one side to the other, one is simply masking diversity of what is throwable.

in fact, to me what makes him great is that he's not extreme in any area. He's sound and nicely balanced with adequate bone and muscle. His strength is his completeness, his ability to offer enough bone and muscle, enough depth and capacity, enough soundness, and enough look and balance to mate well with most anything without producing extremes (or freaks, or train wrecks - whatever you wanna call 'em). 

to me this translates to excelling at moderation.  What's nice about JPJ, is that he was "rescued" by someone who got poly kinda started in a different direction with shorthorns, then when they got out due to a limited market in CA for them, he purchased a few back, imposed his selection criteria, and boom (super truncated story).  to me, JPJ is really a lesson in matching a cow to a feed system, and what kind of production can be thrown at the calf from it (knowing what they look like for that system) and thinking ahead about 15 years rather than just for a phenotype for phenotype sake.  for me, it's almost impossible these days to look at the cow by looking at the calf over many generations, so i try not to look for extremes as it would take me forever to fix it.  that said, i have one heifer who is extreme, and i'm going to try an experiment on her as i'm hoping she is a lady in waiting for what i'm looking for, as opposed to a lady in waiting for something bad (she's out of heavy PHA/TH lines but free and confirming a few things for me).  to me, part of JPJ's genius, along with the angus there, is that the smaller framed one's are actually in demand for some systems, and actually score well on dna panels, but are suited for a niche market, as oppossed to getting docked.  true genius.  making a market rather than selling to a market.  to me, probably the most interesting pen is the cull pen, not from a defect perspective, but just from an efficiency standpoint.  the extremes are mostly in there.  i'm trying to think about what my animal will do to the bull, rather than what the bull will do to my animal, as i'm kinda stuck with the animal, but not the bull.

DLD

Okay, I think I see where you're coming from. And I think I pretty much agree with you. It just seems that so very many of the bulls being promoted today are extreme in some aspect. The kind of cattle I like can usually be described as complete, but I just realized that I don't use that term as much as I used to. One of my good friends, probably best described as a "steer jock" makes fun of that term - if I say one's complete, he'll say "he (or she)'s got 4 legs, 8 toes, 2 eyes, 2 ears..." - of course, he thinks he's a comedian ;). Needless to say, he and I don't see cattle just exactly the same way. I guess it all makes the world go 'round...

Latest posts