K & A Farm Cowherd Dispersal

Help Support Steer Planet:

REM

I was wondering, if anybody knew the story behind K & A Farms cowherd dispersal. I say the ad in the National Livestock Exhibitor.

REM

Yes, thats them. I think they own or raised Nautica, Open Bar, Clean Jeans, and the Spice bull.

yuppiecowboy

Ummm... Your list hasnt even begun. Rambo Colby Polled Pursuit and on and on. To say Kenny has had an impact and influence on Maines for many years is beyond an understatement.

Have heard alot of people ask why they are dispersing. if you want to know, call kenny. Heck of a nice guy and he has forgotten more about cattle than most of us will ever dream.

Some guesses include basic retirement. The boys are doing there own thing and checking heifers at 3 am isnt as fun at 65 as it was at 40, Retirement encouraged along by the belief that the cow herd is worth more today than next year, Bremers only know their motivation. they certainly arent the only industry icon ending an era. Bakenhus,Deiters, many more. maybe they know something we dont.

DL

yuppiecowboy said:
Ummm... Your list hasnt even begun. Rambo Colby Polled Pursuit and on and on. To say Kenny has had an impact and influence on Maines for many years is beyond an understatement.

K&A had a huge and long lasting impact on the breed, but they did not breed Pld Pursuit.  Pursuit (sired by Colby) was born in Canada (Poplar Haven, Wimborne, Alberta). The bull was purchased by Hartman as a two-month-old calf. His dam had been purchased by Poplar Haven as a bred female from the JB Ranch, Pella, Iowa. It was JB actually bred the cow. The bull is owned by Hartman, Diamond M, Klingner and Rocking J.

yuppiecowboy

Well DL perhaps you are correct. I only know I was told by kenny that PP was supposedly in dam when he sold the cow to poplar haven. I think he and Bogaards had a sale together then, perhaps it was "I sold" by association. I Do know that kenny was rather adamant that he didnt think PP was a Colby rather out of some unnamed Chi bull and they simply hung the Colby paper on him. I certainly do not know facts as I am privy to none, merely recalling a conversation some years ago.

Telos

Rumor has him as having Walco Kentucky Colonel in his genes. Which side of the family tree is still in question. I have been told by some he was out of a Walco Kentucky Colonel cow. Others have told me the Strutt cow was his correct moma. The folks that know the truth aren't talking.

REM

I've seen K&A in some interesting pedigrees and was curious if they were changing direction or like yuppiecowboy said  retirement. Thanks for the background.

AAOK

I've not met any cattle folk more genuine than the Bremer's.  What you see is what you get.  They are never afraid to give their opinion, and never mince words.  We had the pleasure of first meeting the whole family in 1991 at the Kearny, NE Ntn'l Jr. Maine-Anjou Show.  This was our first 'real' show.  We had no blow dryer, and no grooming chute.  I had a pair of Oster clippers with only a flat head.  Our Okla. congregation was extremely helpful, but guess who was first to recognize our despair; Kenny Bremer!  He had Keith get us a chute, and dryer, and then the whole crew pitched in to get our two calves clipped.  Audrey was busy making sure our girls got entered in some of the contests, and getting my wife drafted into the Maine Amies.  All those national show after that were a breeze, thanks to the K & A crew.  I haven't heard a thing about the dispersal, but I know it will be first rate.  I have no idea what's left of the 'old' cows, but the Chantel cow they raised and Keith showed as the National Champion, was the best looking heifer I have ever seen, any breed!  

Show Heifer

One has to wonder with such honest people involved in Polled Pursuit, why is the pedigree such a secret?? And why would they basically make up the pedigree for the registration papers? Can they not DNA him and "set the record straight"???

And I agree AAOK, with bremers, you see what you get.

yuppiecowboy

Well Show Heifer, Bremers technically had nothing to do with the bull. And of the list of people involved with PP, I am not sure I would use the adjectives honest or trustworthy when describing at least one of them.

Jill

Bremer's are wonderful people and I wish them the best in whatever they are going to do.

I have heard that rumor about Polled Pursuit for the last 15 years, (although I have never heard Bremer's name associated with him) he came on the scene when Maines where in the hot pursuit to turn everything black so I guess anything is possible.  I guess in my opinion there are no true "purebred" Maines, why waste the money and semen to DNA at this point in the game.

CAB

I thought that Shea Geffert raised Open Bar. I think that in some of these older successful breeder's programs that they can produce better net profits by gearing up their donor programs. A lot of the sales sell more embryos, pregnancies, recips, and so on. Why have the feed bill and the work?

maine106

Once again Show Heifer do you have any actual facts to back up your statements?

Unless you have facts I would think your statements are going to cause you trouble one of these days.

OH Breeder

Jill said:
Bremer's are wonderful people and I wish them the best in whatever they are going to do.

I have heard that rumor about Polled Pursuit for the last 15 years, (although I have never heard Bremer's name associated with him) he came on the scene when Maines where in the hot pursuit to turn everything black so I guess anything is possible.  I guess in my opinion there are no true "purebred" Maines, why waste the money and semen to DNA at this point in the game.
My only concern with mystery pedigrees, which by the way, I have no idea what the issue is with said bull, is the chance of an inherited genetic issue. For quiet some time I waited to hear of DNA for an AI sire. I wanted to identify parentage on a calf I had. It is amazing the AI sires that do not have DNA on file. I try to run an honest business and hope that it comes back to me. We just test everything. Which is easy because we are small.

knabe

canadian fullblood breeders REQUIRE dna verification on every calf registered, male female. 

a couple of options are available to roll them in with the AMAA.

require the same of all american pedigreed fullbloods
make it optional to verify fullbloods

this is a dilemna.  personally, i see value in verifiable parentage and would like to see a field on registration papers that indicates whether a sire has been genotyped with someone's signature on reviewing the results.

these comments are not in any way directed at the breeder alluded to in the thread or any bull in particular.

Show Heifer

And what statements did I make to piss you off this time maine106?
I simply re-stated what someone mentioned before me....that the bloodlines of PP was in question, so why not DNA him? A simple question I thought.

I have actually worked with bremers. I have no problems with them, nor did I state I did.

I think you are the one with the accusing attitude.

Be careful knabe, maine106 will be accusing you of bad mouthing someone......but, I agree with you 100%. What is the problem with DNA'ing him if there is a question?