Kansas Beef Expo

Help Support Steer Planet:

itk

Show Dad said:
I would say that you have made a good start at turning it around. As for the sale it can only be as good as what the consignors are willing to bring.

As a regular consignor I would say we are only willing to bring cattle comparable to the prices people are willing to pay there. See it kind of turns into a vicious circle that seems to have no end. As long as the junior numbers grow the people selling down there will continue to milk the kids for all they can to keep the KBE going. If the consignors really want to make money they will auction of their stalls to the junior exhibitors that ask for them non-stop.

pigguy

justme said:
is the jr. show closed to KS kids only?

I got the catalog for the expo...I was kinda shocked at the number of sale cattle.  I figured it would be huge...
do they have more or less than usual?

aj

Good luck quint. I think alot of small town economies will improve with good crops and higher grain prices have developed. Here in western kansas anyway alot of farmers have made more money this year than they have in the last 3 because of the drought situation. I look for micro economies to improve across the state in the next few years. Hopefully this will loosen up some money in rural communities and the sales will rebound. Your job is a tough one when dealing with all those people with big egos stuffed into one little building.

shorthorns r us

itk said:
If the consignors really want to make money they will auction of their stalls to the junior exhibitors that ask for them non-stop.

What do you mean?  Never having been to that show, I must be missing an important piece of information.

itk

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away the KBE was one of the premiere all-breed sales in the country. Over time the sale has steadily declined. They have moved the sale from Wichita to Hutchinson and from the spring to the winter with little success. Also many of the breeders who consigned in the sales "hay day" now have their own production sales. The Polled Congress was held there once but now there are only 3 breeds officially recognized with a all-breeds group thrown in. In all reality without the money they make from the junior show the KBE would probally not be able to survive.

The sale cattle are assigned the prime stall areas before the juniors show up. The juniors fill up the main barn quickly and the consignors get asked by multiple juniors for their stall space when they leave. If the consignors could auction off their stall space it would give them alittle more cash, especially since the sale isn't that great.

shorthorns r us

from a sellers point of view, does a good one bring a good price?  is the sale open to out of state consignors?

itk

It is a nice sale if you go in with the right POV. If you bring a $1,500 dollar heifer there she will bring $1,500. If you want to get over $2,000 for anything you better do your homework and make sure you have money and bidders lined up before the sale. It is open to anyone who wants to sale. It is a good place to sale summer born heifers if you don't expect to get rich. Also the sale expense is really low so even if you don't have a great sale you won't get hit hard with commission.

aj

Sounds like possible ice on thursday and possible rain sunday. I could do without the ice. (dog)

Jill

The weather for Hutch says 62 for Sat and Sun so it should be nice it sound like if we can make it through Thursday, everyone have a safe trip and see you there.

aj

When is it possible to unload cattle there. Can you unload at say midnight and still get stall designations and etc. Can you unload at 3 in the morning? What is the tie out deal like?

Jill

Bummer! 
I don't know when you can get in, you may want to check with Quint on that one.

pigguy

you can unload cattle thursday and friday, sale cattle check in is on friday at 3pm and show calf check in is 4-6 i think, We will be there at about noon on friday, with our pretty brown trailer(not really  it looks like a cow pie on wheels (cow))

Jill

Ok, the bad news is they have changed the forecast.  I just looked and the weather service now says 34 and 26 with rain/ice and snow showers :(

quint

Report from Hutchinson

The weather doesnt look great, no ice as of now. It sounds like it will stay warm enough here not to get real nasty but I encourage you to check the weather before you travel. I wish everyone a safe trip that is comming down. The Jr side of the barn is about half full right now (Thursday Evening). I think we will have a full house if you are planning on comming later on Friday getting a stall might be tough, we are doing the best we can in getting eveyone in the main barn.

There has been a major issue with getting papers in time for many of the breeds, especially the Shorthorns. If you do not have papers back yet all you need to do is supply a copy of the application and or a aphadavid from the breeder verifying that the papers are in the exhibitors name. Please do not let that stand in the way of you participating. If you have questions please call me.

We hope to see you in Hutch this weekend.

Quint

aj

gary bob, He was a no sale. I think you could get him bought for 2000 at the owners place.