Kansas Shorthorn Herd Tour

Help Support Steer Planet:

PhilMcKracken

After a few phone calls about the status of the tour, I thought SteerPlanet would be the best place to invite everyone and post the details of the event.  The tour will be August 14 and will start at our ranch north of McCracken, Ks with breakfast at 8am and the tour to start at 9.  We will then go to Triple C Ranch, Terry Conard, at Timken, Ks and then on to Fischer Cattle Co. south of Great Bend.  I think this lineup will include a lot of functional, real world genetics in their natural environments.  Which if it continues as is, will be burned up western Kansas buffalo grass!!  I hope all that are interested can attend.

The directions and a map to our ranch are on the KSA website (www.kansasshorthorns.com).  They are down at the bottom left of the page under "Upcoming Events." 

Thanks and hope to see many of you on the 14th.

trevorgreycattleco

Wish I was not permanently attached to my job. I would love to come to the university. I have always heard good things about it and it's a great way to meet people.

Davis Shorthorns

lovingfarms said:
I hate to hear that TG would have like to have you.  Davis it will be good to see you again.

It's been a while, cant wait to see Prestige.  We are expecting our first calf this month some time. 

PhilMcKracken

I am excited to see how that turns out for you, we will have him up there.  He has handled himself very well considering the number of females he has bred since the first of the year.  I think his calves have exceeded expectations to this point, there will be around 30 of them to look at.

PhilMcKracken

Hoyt glad you are going to try and make it. Prestige is the Jazz/Eagle 148 from JSF and we also have calves by Kaper 4508 and our linebred Double Duty grandsons.  Should be a good time!

PhilMcKracken

I don't know about horseback, but he was talking some wheelcorrals out in the pasture.  I just hope the heat backs off a bit.

Davis Shorthorns

aj said:
What is the story on the Loving bull that stump and Fischer advertised?

from what I have been told he is a low bw bull out of JR legacy 23G.  Very good depth and shape of body.  It will be interesting to see him out at Fischers.  I just hope we can get a little break in the heat, but it doesn't look like it.   

PhilMcKracken

Legacy 9533 is out of 7010 who was a son of the old 23g bull and one of the most consistent Blue Gate High Hope daughters we have.  We only had 7010 here through the summer 08 breeding season and then one of our best commerical customers saw  him in the fall and had to have him.  We made the deal before these calves were ever born, and as the way things go, 7010s calves were one of the most uniform groups we have ever had.  Anyhow, 9533's mother is out of a Double Duty son and Double Duty daughter that goes back to the High Hope bull (incidentally, the sire of the old Kendra cow at Fischers.)  If I remember correctly 9533 had a 74 lb. BW and his mother was about the same this year.  He was used hard by Fischers this spring and we are excited to see how they get along.

M Bar

We will plan to be on the tour saturday.  Please pray for cooler weather.  Do we need to bring a pickup to get around?  Or can we get by with our car?  Please comment lovingfarms.....

PhilMcKracken

Glad to hear you can find time in your busy schedule Troy, lol!  Should be able to make a car work just fine, unless it rains then a monster truck may be more acceptable  (lol).  Either way, we would take the rain in a heart beat.  The roads at McCracken get a little greasy when wet, but we can shuttle or whatever it takes.  We hope many can make it!!