Kent Habeger

Help Support Steer Planet:

FXDS

Just heard Kent Habeger was fatally injured in an accident today.  A great cattle man!  He loved the business and was an asset to the industry.  He was always smiling and there wasn't anyone to big or to small for him.  He treated everyone the same.  My prayers and condolences to his wife and family.

MAMACOW

May God be with the whole family in there time of need.  We lost a phenomenal man today.  He and Marty were so good to my family one year ago almost to the day when I lost my sister, I know how hard it is especially with the Holidays.  Take time to hug your loved ones and let them know you care because in a instant it can be gone!  God Bless all who know Kent and Marty. (angel)

afhm

Kent will truely be missed, he was a great man. I didn't know him very well but feel fortunate that I did. 

Show Heifer

I didn't know Kent at all, but I know what it is like to lose a family member during the Holidays.
My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

RSC

FXDS said:
Just heard Kent Habeger was fatally injured in an accident today.  A great cattle man!  He loved the business and was an asset to the industry.  He was always smiling and there wasn't anyone to big or to small for him.  He treated everyone the same.  My prayers and condolences to his wife and family.
He was a very good man, sorry to hear.  May God be with his family.

RSC

oakbar

I just got a call about Kent.  Apparently he was helping move round bales when one came off the tractor loader on rolled on top of him.  Sends a chill through me, because on October 26, 2007 the same thing happened to me and I was extremely lucky to survive albeit with  a long recovery and injuries I'll cope with the rest of my life.  I personally know of 5 people who have been killed this way so please be extra careful when moving large bales.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Kent's family especially in this holiday season.  He's been the judge at our Battle on the Border show the last two years as well as numerous other shows we've attended.  Good man, great loss!!

Telos

This is very sad and a huge loss. Last saw him judge at a Waco, Texas show. I believe it was the Fall Classic.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

RSC

Telos said:
This is very sad and a huge loss. Last saw him judge at a Waco, Texas show. I believe it was the Fall Classic.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

Just talked to him briefly in Norfolk, NE over Thanksgiving.  He will be greatly missed.

RSC

40yrold4her

Kent was by far my son's favorite judge. He spent time individually with the kids in showmanship even at the larger shows.  My son had a whitetail deer shirt that Kent commented on every time he wore it in the ring. He was a great supporter of youth and will be greatly missed, my condolences to his family and friends.

lowann

I received the call about Kent late yesterday afternoon. He was a good man, good judge, great smile. He will be missed terribly. He loved a good practical joke. A couple of friends, my husband, and I talked with him, and Marti at the Clay County Fair this past September, he was very excited about a new bull he was taking to Denver. I still remember him, and Ryan walking "Manchild" out in Denver, in 2006. Everyone would just stop in their tracks and watch. Like a friend of mine said, he knew if it was going to be a "good one" even looking at new calves when the navel was still wet!
With him gone, it will be a very sad Iowa  Beef Expo this year. You would always see him waling up. and down the isles, talking, laughing, greeting everyone he knew, and smiling at the ones he didn't.
Our prayers go out to Marti, and family. She. and Kent truly were "soulmates."
I'm sure he's walking through that big pasture in the sky, pickin out the "good ones"

OH Breeder

I did not have the chance to meet Mr. Habeger. But I have such respect fora gentleman that created such a bull battery how amazing. This is a hard time of year to experience such a great loss. Deepest sympathy and condolences to his family and friends. May God be with them in this time of grief.

red

I am so sorry. Never had the honor of meeting him but know what type of cattle he raised. I pray for those that loved him.

I agree Show Hef, there is no good time to loose a loved on but around christmas it hits you harder. My hubby's dad died 2 weeks before Christmas. At Christmas dinner he always gave the prayer. It hit so hard when he's oldest son took that role.

Red  (angel)

chambero

Didn't another prominent club calf breeder from the midwest get killed in a farm accident this fall?  I thought I remembered reading something a couple of months ago.

All we can do is teach our kids and remind ourselves to be so careful around equipment, hay, and cattle.  One mistake is all it takes.  I had a friend just out of high school that had a round bale roll off on him.  He survived, but it crushed him so bad he's still not right.

Cowboy

In Denver 2006, I happened to be standing in front of him at one of those food line deals, got our lunch and I was something like 45 cents short of small bills and change to get it, all I Had was a hundred with me besides that. He walked up and dropped a dollar bill on the bar and smiled -- shook my hand and simply said -- "Crap happens" -- Happy New Year.

I will miss him as a frined, and as a great guy inthis business.

Condolences go to all who know and loved him!

Terry

showsteer09

What a sad day in the cattle world he was a great man first meet him last year in Louiseville.. he will be missed what a man

justme

We've showed under him several times and I sure did like how he picked his cattle.  I finally met him this year at the Royal.  He judged the kids in Showmanship.  Afterwards in the hallway my daughter went up and thanked him for taking so much time with them.  He told her to pull up a seat and gave her lots of advice.  That right there told me his heart was in the right place to be a judge.  She's had other judges just blow her off.  We've lost a first class guy and judge....my heart goes out to his family and to everyone out there that didn't get the pleasure of showing under him.

RSC

Cowboy said:
In Denver 2006, I happened to be standing in front of him at one of those food line deals, got our lunch and I was something like 45 cents short of small bills and change to get it, all I Had was a hundred with me besides that. He walked up and dropped a dollar bill on the bar and smiled -- shook my hand and simply said -- "Crap happens" -- Happy New Year.

I will miss him as a frined, and as a great guy inthis business.

Condolences go to all who know and loved him!

Terry
 Great story Terry.  Last year for those that weren't in Denver, He didn't have a bull there so in his display booth instead of a bull he handed out promotional items, calving books as well as coozies and your favorite refreshment. This last Thanksgiving weekend he judged the Heifer show on Friday in Norfolk,  On Saturday I ran into him in the lunch area and he said High.  I told him that before we went into class yesterday,  we were enjoying a beverage in one of his coozies.  I told my wife to find a pop and put it in the coozie and have Grant hand it to Kent when he walked in the ring to see if it would help our cause.  Kent winked with a big smile on his face, tapped me on the shoulder and said, you should have tried it, might have helped.  I hope I can teach my boys to treat people like this man did.  Didn't know him very well but sure do appreciate what he gave to this industry.

Tony

showman ne

I was fortuanate to have shown cattle under him on several occasions. He was a great man not only in terms of his dealings with the industry, but as a person in general. My condolences to the Habeger family, he will be greatly missed.