KEY conference/ Shorthorn University

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Hey there all!  I just got back from the KEY conference in Manhattan, Kansas.  I thought the speakers were good and I learned some pretty cool stuff.  I applaud Julie Duis and the Junior Board for putting on a good event.  My favorite part was the trip to Ohlde's.  They had some very impressive cows.  The one that really impressed me was their full Austrian Fleckveih.  She was nice, even tho she was a little big for me.  Their calves were very nice, and I think we all had a good time seeing the cattle.  How was Shorthorn University?  Oh, and SJCattle, I saw you at Ohlde's...I was the one with the shaggy hair that bumped into you! lol. 

knabe

plenty of fleck's here

http://mile-awayfarm.com/thumbnailpics.htm
http://www.fleckvieh.de/Englisch/E_03.htm

too bad it isn't this easy to get lots of maine or shorthorn pics in working clothes.

cowz

shortyjock89 said:
Hey there all!  I just got back from the KEY conference in Manhattan, Kansas.  I thought the speakers were good and I learned some pretty cool stuff.  I applaud Julie Duis and the Junior Board for putting on a good event.  My favorite part was the trip to Ohlde's.  They had some very impressive cows.  The one that really impressed me was their full Austrian Fleckveih.  She was nice, even tho she was a little big for me.  Their calves were very nice, and I think we all had a good time seeing the cattle.  How was Shorthorn University?   Oh, and SJCattle, I saw you at Ohlde's...I was the one with the shaggy hair that bumped into you! lol. 

Glad you got to go....the agenda looked good.  It is always fun to meet new people.

sjcattleco

shortyjock89 said:
Hey there all!  I just got back from the KEY conference in Manhattan, Kansas.  I thought the speakers were good and I learned some pretty cool stuff.  I applaud Julie Duis and the Junior Board for putting on a good event.  My favorite part was the trip to Ohlde's.  They had some very impressive cows.  The one that really impressed me was their full Austrian Fleckveih.  She was nice, even tho she was a little big for me.  Their calves were very nice, and I think we all had a good time seeing the cattle.  How was Shorthorn University?   Oh, and SJCattle, I saw you at Ohlde's...I was the one with the shaggy hair that bumped into you! lol. 

Why didn't you introduce your self????  I remember the kid that needed a hair cut!!!!! LOL...The next time you need to introduce yourself...Hope you got a couple of phone numbers..... Those girls there were real cuties.... Ohlde's cattle were pretty darn good.... His stuff looks exactly like mine and Elbee's only ours are a bit bigger.....they are all definatly muscle heavy and not frame heavy! Ohlde is not afraid to speak his mind and does not worry about being too PC and I like that!

justme

Glad to see you back Scott!  We've missed seeing your point of views....actually makes me think sometimes (lol)

knabe

sj, tim is not only not afraid to speak his mind, he actually enjoys it.  he is a very fun person to be around.  he gave me two pieces of advice i haven't forgotten.  1. when you are on an errand to town, do at least two.  2.  tim, how do you like udders to be on a cow? "just like you like them on....."  he is an excellent businessman and is rutheless with financial matters, and will barter.  rarely buys new equipment.  a good purchase he made was a fullsize skiploader to move feed and dirt.  one time, me and one of the hired hands dropped a nut into the oil pan by accident.  we fished it out with a magnet.  he just laughed.  he likes to help people help themselves, kinda like a fisher of men, teaching them to fish, rather than giving them fish.  i drug the sickle bar on a harrow once, and he "let" me fix it rather than just fix it.  he made a comment once that he was amazed the show calf industry has lasted as long as it has.  he is very restless, which probably accounts for the fleckvieh and black baldies.  did you see any of those there and compare them to straight offspring?  with our apprenhension about cattle from south america, he has said that people who want to do grass fed beef should do an internship there for six months to learn how to do it.  he sells semen down there, brought some back on at least one bull.  great to see he is still importing cattle and trying new things.  you might have noticed his pastures and how they compared to others out there.  he's ruthless about that too.

sjcattleco

The Flint Hills are really having a good year... eveyones grass looks good... Dalebanks Angus had the nicest pastures but it was really hard to tell just how much pressure was on each outfit we were at... All the cattle were very spread out... infact Lauer shorhorns had to truck in cattle for us to see...

We picked a nice bull out at Elbee..... Son of Improver's Plus

Plusstill looks awesome out there at SBS Shorthorns breeding cows....

The Improvers Plus daughters were AWESOME!!! best cattle we saw the whole trip... Infact if anyone is looking Lee has a heifer that he does not have on his keeper list that is the best female calf on the ranch... solid red and flat good....Her number is 005T....

Here is a pick of our new bull...

Titan is behind him...

Attachments

• 07plusbullcalf.jpg
    07plusbullcalf.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 308

garybob

knabe said:
sj, tim is not only not afraid to speak his mind, he actually enjoys it.  he is a very fun person to be around.   he gave me two pieces of advice i haven't forgotten.  1. when you are on an errand to town, do at least two.  2.  tim, how do you like udders to be on a cow? "just like you like them on....."  he is an excellent businessman and is rutheless with financial matters, and will barter.  rarely buys new equipment.  a good purchase he made was a fullsize skiploader to move feed and dirt.  one time, me and one of the hired hands dropped a nut into the oil pan by accident.  we fished it out with a magnet.   he just laughed.  he likes to help people help themselves, kinda like a fisher of men, teaching them to fish, rather than giving them fish.  i drug the sickle bar on a harrow once, and he "let" me fix it rather than just fix it.  he made a comment once that he was amazed the show calf industry has lasted as long as it has.  he is very restless, which probably accounts for the fleckvieh and black baldies.  did you see any of those there and compare them to straight offspring?  with our apprenhension about cattle from south america, he has said that people who want to do grass fed beef should do an internship there for six months to learn how to do it.  he sells semen down there, brought some back on at least one bull.  great to see he is still importing cattle and trying new things.  you might have noticed his pastures and how they compared to others out there.  he's ruthless about that too.
First of all, I hope that the US Delegation at the World Shorthorn Congress, will come back from Argentina more fully aware of what Masculine, Meaty, big-testicled Bulls with big feet look like. They should also take a long look and see what efficient, trouble-free cows look like. You know, the ones that wean 60% of their body weight, every 365 days or less, beginning at 24 months or less?

sjcattleco

Well I don't really think that we need much Argentine genetics... We have enough here ... Also the Argnetines calve most of their heifers at 3 and not 2....They also calve alot more 14 yr old + cows than we do.. Infact they have guys that just specialize in managing old cows... with false teeth no less!!! We need more of their techniques and know how than genetics!

garybob

sjcattleco said:
Well I don't really think that we need much Argentine genetics... We have enough here ... Also the Argnetines calve most of their heifers at 3 and not 2....They also calve alot more 14 yr old + cows than we do.. Infact they have guys that just specialize in managing old cows... with false teeth no less!!! We need more of their techniques and know how than genetics!
Perhaps, I have taken the cattle on their Ass'n website, to be the ideal PHenotype for Grass cattle. That's not to say you aren't right, and, you have traveled there. I am just a "dreamer" with a handfull of cows.  Scott, all I know is, the Cattle pictured down there look closer to ideal for what we need, as a breed, than, a Donor cow at "the big-boys' places". That's not to say you aren't right. But, I tend to think that, Sr. Aberheyde at Santa Cecilia, has got some good cows, and He don't put up with lazy, barren Cows, or sore-footed Bulls that won't chase a cow.