KEYS ALL STATE 149X calves?

Help Support Steer Planet:

BogartBlondes

I had a Shorthorn/Maine 1425 lbs.(approx.) heifer drop an All State bull calf yesterday morning at 69 lbs.. The mother was sired by JSF Capishe out of an old fullblood maine cow. She was 4 days early by the AI date.

In my operation, I would not be using All State again due to inconsistency. I have a couple doses left that will go into commercial cows because I refuse to breed him back to my purebred/% Charolais. I will say they have tons of volume but many have conformation faults in the rear wheels and topline. Keep in mind, the only All State I have had off of a Shorthorn influence is a couple days old.

My opinion, take it as you wish.

Mark H

Bogart,

Are all your calving heifers the size?  What is the avrage size of your cows?

Mark

Mark H

XBAR,

Sorry about neh sarcasm comment.  You just seem more enthoused about yrant than most i have met.

Mark

BogartBlondes

Mark,

Not all of my heifers are that size. I like them a bit bigger, but she was calving at 20 months. I had thought she came back around and I re-bred her last spring, but she obviously caught to the AI of All State.

The average size of my Charolais are 15-1900, the average size of my commercials/blondes are 12-1600 (some of the commercial cows, like the fb maine grand dam of this heifer, were more the 2000 lbs. range). My largest cow is no more than 2000 lbs.

XBAR/All:
I have seen many quality show prospects out of Tyrant. I've never used him. Any of the Tyrant calves I have seen lacked some volume and middle. I have used one dose of his son, Zeal, on a heifer. I am awaiting that mating.  I purchased a heifer that was sired by a 3/4 brother and am very pleased with her. Any Firewater calf I have seen blows the Tyrant calves out of the water. Firewater may be a little shallow bodied himself but, throws good middles, high volume and thickness into his offspring. I haven't seen a Firewater female yet that I don't like.

If I am breeding a heifer (to a Charolais bull) I am thinking of two choices; Bluegrass and Revelation. As I mentioned I have an older heifer bred to Cedardale Zeal, after seeing the bull in person and talking with Scott and Trevor, I feel quite confident using him on heifers as well, he is available through Semex.

SWMO

Questions on Cedardale Tyrant for those of you that have used him.  What kind of frame score does he have?  How many of his calves are dish faced?  tyrants sire appears to have quite a bit of frame to him.  How are Tyrants daughters performing in the field?