KINNABER LEADER 9TH heifer pic.

Help Support Steer Planet:

coyote

This is a picture of an ET calf that we have by KINNABER LEADER 9TH and out of a GLORY-JAY MC GAMALIEL 8G cow. KINNABER LEADER 9TH was born in 1966.

Attachments

• Heifers 08 008.jpg
    Heifers 08 008.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 736

oakview

She looks very similar to the bagful of photos I have of Leader 9th and Leader 21st heifers we raised 35 to 40 years ago.  I thought our Leader 21st daughters made better cows.  Our Leader 9th daughters were a little more extreme in their day, though your heifer looks like she has plenty of depth and volume.

OH Breeder

I like her alot. Looks easy fleshing. Great depth.
I have three amps of Kinnebar the 9th in my tank. Haven't figured out what I should be using him on. I have some old school shorthorns and some new blood. Not sure what he would click with. Was this a smaller statured cow?

sjcattleco

linnettejane said:
interesting!  i like her!   (thumbsup)

Thats funny that is who I want to flush SAM too!!!

Awesome heifer!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! <party> (clapping)

With today's economics that is the type of heifer that ought to be bringing $40K instead of those counterfeit flat muscled corn belt cattle!  

coyote

linnettejane I don't have any front or rear shots of her right now. The dam is about a frame 7 and you can see her pedigree  here, http://www.clrc.ca/cgi-bin/extended_pedigree.cgi?_breedcode=MS&_countrycode=CAN&_regnumberprefix=F&_regnumber=674919&_regnumbersuffix=&_association=21

aj

Nice heifer...wasn't leader 9th called "Big Gene" or am I thinking of another bull.

ELBEE

Yes "Big Gene". My Father used him extensivly,Smallflower Leader 2cnd also and thought them to be much better bulls than the 21st.  In my opinion too, better deals than the 21st. Of course remember these 2 bulls were used on daughters by a sib to 21st's sire!

sjcattleco

I have several of the Smallflower heifers this year that look like her!

Breed them to American Muscle and hold on! .. At least that's the plan!

linnettejane

ELBEE said:
Yes "Big Gene". My Father used him extensivly,Smallflower Leader 2cnd also and thought them to be much better bulls than the 21st.  In my opinion too, better deals than the 21st. Of course remember these 2 bulls were used on daughters by a sib to 21st's sire!

and so why was he known as "big gene?"  what was his frame score?

ELBEE

Not sure, exactly on the "Big Gene" part. But he was huge for his day, just right by today's standards. Probably frame 5, easily ton +. 

coyote

linnettejane , I went out riding and checked the cows yesterday and I tried to get a front and rear picture of the heifer, this is the best I got.

Attachments

• Heifers 08 043.jpg
    Heifers 08 043.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 404
  • Heifers 08 048.jpg
    Heifers 08 048.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 382

susie Q

coyote
Is she the ET leader 9 baby ?? I think you would like the Captain calves - I should email a couple of the female photos.

justintime

Scot..... your Leader 9th heifer is flat out good. We need more like her. I have used up my last Leader 21st semen in flushes. I did not know what to think of the calves for the first while, but they are coming on gang busters now. The Leader 21st bull we have has been selected for the Agribition sale. They wanted the heifer calf as well, but I said " NO way". I have a pregnancy by Leader 21st as well as some Leader 21 embryos selling in the Fever sale Oct 16th.

Two days ago we used the last two vials of Pheasant Creek Leader 4th x in a flush with our Shadybrook Presto 73G donor. We got 6 grade 1 embryos so I am hoping we get lucky and get above average pregnancies from them. Leader 4th was a red, homozygous polled son of Kinnaber Leader 6th, and he was the last Shorthorn herd sire at Remitall in Alberta.

I have been scouring the country side for some Leader 9th or Leader 6th semen, but have come up with no leads.

coyote

Hi Bob , we are planning on showing this heifer at Agribition. Are you bringing your Buster Bull?

Hi Sue , yes she is one of the ET calves. Put your Captain calves on here, I am sure everyone would like to see them.

Hi Grant, do you have any pictures, those old genetics seem to realy click with the cows that are around now.
Grant do you know the story behind the 9th getting the nick name "BIG GENE", I heard he was named after Gene Macdonald, but that is alll I Know.

justintime

That is the story I have heard as well. Gene McDonald was working as the fieldman for the ASA and Western Canada was part of his territory. From what I have heard, he was so impressed with Leader 9th when he saw him, that Harvey Fulton started referring to the bull as " Big Gene". He is still called that today. I saw Gene McDonald a couple days ago at the Cagwin sale. I should have asked him about this as I am sure he could have filled in much more details. By the way, I thought Gene looked great for having some health issues lately.