Last Calf! YEA!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

We had our last calf this morning. Whew! No more of those. It was a hard pull & now have a big dumb bull calf. He weighed in at 112 pounds. guess you never know what you'll get even breeding to an easy calving bull. Her last year's calf was only 70 pounds so I'm not sure where it came from.

We tubed him & I went out a couple of times to just get him up. Cow was so shell shocked I dried him off w/ towels. I haven't seen him nurse but her left quarters are down.

Glad to be done w/ year to be honest.

Red

dori36

red said:
We had our last calf this morning. Whew! No more of those. It was a hard pull & now have a big dumb bull calf. He weighed in at 112 pounds. guess you never know what you'll get even breeding to an easy calving bull. Her last year's calf was only 70 pounds so I'm not sure where it came from.

We tubed him & I went out a couple of times to just get him up. Cow was so shell shocked I dried him off w/ towels. I haven't seen him nurse but her left quarters are down.

Glad to be done w/ year to be honest.

Red

Wow, what a chunk!  I'm happy for you that you're done, too.  Hope he continues to eat/grow/thrive!

kanshow

Glad your are done but what a way to finish.    Like Dori says, hope he keeps on eating, growing, thriving. 

OH Breeder

Congratulations. We have 7 more to go. UGH!. THe up side is we had a couple days of drying, still have some mud but it is getting better. Pics red as soon as you can.
What were the genes on this one?

garett

I think we still have about 7 more also, the ones left have been moved up closer to the house to keep a more watchful eye. But last night dad thought one came backwards and he didnt make it :(

showgirl2010

You guys are very lucky.  I have pretty much the whole purebred herd and half the commerical herd still yet to calve out.  We had a harsh summer and most didn't stick the first time around.

Jamie

char

we finally finished sometime sunday/monday morning.....the last one was a bull....that is wonderful.....the majority of calves were heifers.....i think we have heifers coming out of our ears.....oh well all is well and doing great.....char

showgirl2010

char said:
we finally finished sometime sunday/monday morning.....the last one was a bull....that is wonderful.....the majority of calves were heifers.....i think we have heifers coming out of our ears.....oh well all is well and doing great.....char

Wish we had heifers coming out of our ears.  We desparately need to get the semen sexed next year.  About how much does it cost to do that anyway?

Jamie

DiamondS

Congrats on your last calf!! (clapping) Always a great feeling!

I'm pretty proud and I've gotta brag a little  :)

We started calving March 2nd. By March 31st we had 427 out of 516 calves on the ground.  We are down to about 30 calves now, and with all this rain and mud, I don't mind that they've slowed a little bit.  Hopefully, they'll wrap up by the 20th. 

The biggest reason, I'm so proud.  When I started this job January '06, they spring herd started calving Feb. 16th and I tagged the last calf July 31st.  My boss bought 200+ fall bred heifers. They started calving June 19th and finished up December 1st.  Whew!  So I made a cutoff at May 17th and everything there and older got bred for March 10th calves on a 45 day breeding schedule.  On those cows, I had a 90% conception rate.  Everything else went to the fall herd, and they were bred on a 50 day breeding schedule with a 96% conception rate.  I have since dispersed the fall herd of about 250hd, but this cow herd is really making improvements, and I'm pretty proud. 

showgirl2010

DiamondS said:
Congrats on your last calf!! (clapping) Always a great feeling!

I'm pretty proud and I've gotta brag a little  :)

We started calving March 2nd. By March 31st we had 427 out of 516 calves on the ground.  We are down to about 30 calves now, and with all this rain and mud, I don't mind that they've slowed a little bit.  Hopefully, they'll wrap up by the 20th. 

The biggest reason, I'm so proud.  When I started this job January '06, they spring herd started calving Feb. 16th and I tagged the last calf July 31st.  My boss bought 200+ fall bred heifers. They started calving June 19th and finished up December 1st.  Whew!  So I made a cutoff at May 17th and everything there and older got bred for March 10th calves on a 45 day breeding schedule.  On those cows, I had a 90% conception rate.  Everything else went to the fall herd, and they were bred on a 50 day breeding schedule with a 96% conception rate.  I have since dispersed the fall herd of about 250hd, but this cow herd is really making improvements, and I'm pretty proud. 

Wow, now that is doing good.  Maybe you should come and manage our herd....

Jamie

red

I hate to say this but he was out of Money Man. The cow is a Gold Club x Rose.

I'll get pictures as soon as I feel up to staggering out.  ;) I personaly hate changes in the weather. Makes me sicker than a dog. Woody exculded of course.  :D

Red

Jill

We have 8 more to go and I wish they would all hurry, these are all bred to the herd bull, they are the late calvers from last year, if they get much later, they may be making the trip to the sale barn.

red

here is the calf. Not the best but hard to pose a new born w/ mom breathing down your neck!

Red

Attachments

• 100_1949.jpg
    100_1949.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_1950.jpg
    100_1950.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 331

Bawndoh

showgirl2010 said:
char said:

Wish we had heifers coming out of our ears.  We desparately need to get the semen sexed next year.  About how much does it cost to do that anyway?

Jamie

On sale in Canada for $50 for our Genex bulls.  You cannot go down much more than that.  Prices are definately close to that in the U.S.  Also, with our bulls in particular (Genex), you should really always use the sexed semen on heifers, in a non- sync program.  We have done all of our testing on yearling heifers, so in order for your results to be the most accurate we suggest you do the same as we have.  The bulls that have been selected for heifer sexed semen are all proven calving ease as well.  Of coarse!

red

showgirl2010 said:
So is that 50 per straw or how many?

Jamie

usually that's the price per staw. some semen dealers have a minimum of 5 straws, others no limit.

Red

showgirl2010

red said:
showgirl2010 said:

Jamie

usually that's the price per staw. some semen dealers have a minimum of 5 straws, others no limit.

Red

My goodness wish I was a millionaire.  Can vets do that or just semen dealers?

Jamie

Bawndoh

showgirl2010 said:
red said:
showgirl2010 said:

Jamie

Red

My goodness wish I was a millionaire.  Can vets do that or just semen dealers?

Jamie

Yes that is $50 per straw with a minimum of 5 purchases.  Can vets do what?
It really is quite cheap to A.I. cattle.  Think of it this way, a bull like Traveler 004 has hundreds of thousands of dollars in progeny.  He works!  There is no doubt about that.  Another thing, his daughters WORK!  It will cost you a maximum $100 to get a heifer bred by a bull like Traveller, and there is basically a guarantee that the resulting female WILL sell!!  
In otherwords, WORLD CLASS genetics for $50-$100 head to A.I. them.  I just A.I'ed 21 head, and it cost the guy around $500.  Add the cost of semen on there and it would be around $1200+/-.  He used bulls like Net Worth, and Final Answer.  Now tell me how else you can get $50,000 bulls to breed your cows for that kind of money.  A regular herdsire or clean-up bull will cost you $2000+ and then you have to feed him, maintain his health, and your fences!!  I find it very difficult to find a downside to A.I.  If there are downsides, it would be the cattle owners fault because he/she did not do their homework properly!