last years Arizona Nationals

Help Support Steer Planet:

SWMO

My question is with the high proile thefts that have happened last year both at Kansas City, (which I hadn't heard about until this and we were there) and at Louisville, do you think anything will change as far as security at either show?

I know that in the past several years that we have not had to show any type of release paper for Kansas City to leave the grounds with livestock.  It does tend to get you thinking that security might need to be beefed up.

justme

You would think they would beef up the security.  Heck at Jr. Nationals... there was no security to be found.  Generators stolen, and other stuff.  At least it wasn't a calf, but heck what is the world coming to when you screw over someone in these situations?

chambero

So this wasn't a "wink wink" theft where someone got more money for letting their calf be stolen than they would have by selling it through the auction.

At our Texas majors, they get branded before they ever get out of the show ring if you are in the sale.

kanshow

They claim that security was better at the Jr. Hereford Nat'l but I doubt it was much better.    Of all the venues, I probably dislike shows at KC the most..    The parking fees are outrageous and then you get vandalized, gas syphoned, etc.  

SouthWest

Too add to the topic.  The calf was proven to be stolen.  No charges by either state have been filed.  Brand inspection showed what show jockey brought that calf in.  It was very visible by the posse surrounding the calf in and out of the ring who it was.  I expect this to keep happening as long as this is allowed with Little  or no repercussions.  No actions taken against seller of the calf.

SWMO

Wouldn't you think that there would at least be a civil suit of the calf was indeed truly stolen?  Or was the exhibitor allowed to sell at the Am Royal without the presence of the steer?    Was the steer taken prior to the sale at the Am Royal?

I believe that Missouri laws would have to apply rather than Arizona laws unless they have a good transporting stolen goods law.

SouthWest

My understanding is the DNA test results were proven positive within the last 2 weeks.  We have to see what direction the states want to take this matter.  If this gets swept under the rug like usual, then no ones hurt so lets just leave it like is.  Not trying to hurt the showman involved.  But I know of many other showmen and ladies that worked their rear ends off for months that did end up getting hurt in the end.  Why is playing by the rule so hard to do?  I thought this project is to teach the kids involved about resposibility and I hope ethics.  Like they say, "Its not cheating unless you get caught!"

CLIPPER

so obviously no one has suffered any punishment i presume... there was one post that stated  some action had been taken as well as the info on the original post, i guess only time will tell

simtal

I'll add this:

The thing  about security at a show,  the people who are free to come and go, the exhibitors and those involved, are the ones doing the stealing.  Sure some stuff gets swiped by non-cattle related people but most of the law breaking is done by people among us. 

shortdawg

[ Sure some stuff gets swiped by non-cattle related people but most of the law breaking is done by people among us. 
[/quote]

And they should be ashamed !!!! Absolutely no excuse for taking someone else's stuff !!!!!

BIGTEX

I think one the Famous judges we have today got busted for using steroids on his steer that won the  National Western.(Lifetime Ban) I think his parents took the blame. What a lesson to teach.

CAB

Why does everyone keep saying that the calf was stolen? Are you all sure that he wasn't sold? Just asking/saying.

chambero

CAB said:
  Why does everyone keep saying that the calf was stolen? Are you all sure that he wasn't sold? Just asking/saying.

I don't know if he "knows" anything or not, but I think I smell the same rat.  I bet the only entity this calf was stole from was the show if that animal was required to go through the sale.  I'd offer a guess that somehow someway the original owner of that calf received more money for letting their calf be "stolen" than they would have gotten for a first place calf sold through the sale.

Azjimmy

I am sure that at this point the results are published at the ANLS web.  Life time ban on the boy showing the, DNA proven, stolen steer that won his class in KC.  The person that supplied the steer for the Colorado family is believed to be the same person that was payed $20,000 for the steer to win the ANLS.  It is well believed the steer arrived in that persons trailer.  The big joke was how well done the stolen steer was done up, and then stalled with Riggs' other steers that they had actually cared for.  The person that brought the steer also brought the steer that won the last two years?  This person clipped the 06 Az State fair chapion steer that everyone knew had come from the New Mexico State fair, being the Champion Shorthorn.  It is easy to id a shorthorn.  Arizona did nothing because of the money the family has spent at the junior sale, leagal reasons was the official reason.  The state of Arizona does not have the guts to do anything.  The question I have is does the KC show or the State have the guts to prosecute the person that got paid to deliver the steer to AZ.  Everyone knows this is going on but know one will put an end to it.  Why?  I will be glad to testify.  Those that know me also know that I have a lot of knowledge of the things this family has done in AZ that would be fraud in business, but since they are cheating children everyone lets it go.  There is money to cheat with but none to prosecute with.

CLIPPER

wow, thanks for the info.i am still trying to put it all together but think i am getting close..

OH Breeder

Azjimmy said:
I am sure that at this point the results are published at the ANLS web.  Life time ban on the boy showing the, DNA proven, stolen steer that won his class in KC.  The person that supplied the steer for the Colorado family is believed to be the same person that was payed $20,000 for the steer to win the ANLS.  It is well believed the steer arrived in that persons trailer.  The big joke was how well done the stolen steer was done up, and then stalled with Riggs' other steers that they had actually cared for.  The person that brought the steer also brought the steer that won the last two years?  This person clipped the 06 Az State fair chapion steer that everyone knew had come from the New Mexico State fair, being the Champion Shorthorn.  It is easy to id a shorthorn.  Arizona did nothing because of the money the family has spent at the junior sale, leagal reasons was the official reason.  The state of Arizona does not have the guts to do anything.  The question I have is does the KC show or the State have the guts to prosecute the person that got paid to deliver the steer to AZ.  Everyone knows this is going on but know one will put an end to it.  Why?  I will be glad to testify.  Those that know me also know that I have a lot of knowledge of the things this family has done in AZ that would be fraud in business, but since they are cheating children everyone lets it go.  There is money to cheat with but none to prosecute with.

Guess what I think is pretty crazy is why would you think no one would figure out who your calf was when they had collected DNA? That is brave. Besides being wrong. The family if sold and the folks in between should all be made accountable. Not hard to track the money if someone really wanted to. But like you said, you have to have someone who wants to persue it.

knabe

chambero said:
So this wasn't a "wink wink" theft where someone got more money for letting their calf be stolen than they would have by selling it through the auction.

At our Texas majors, they get branded before they ever get out of the show ring if you are in the sale.

things like this were done 30 years ago.  i can't remember exactly how it goes.  someone's standing there at the gate with an electric brand?  does the judge know if you are in the sale, or is this the steward's responsibility?

Throttle

BIGTEX said:
I think one the Famous judges we have today got busted for using steroids on his steer that won the  National Western.(Lifetime Ban) I think his parents took the blame. What a lesson to teach.

That's always been a gripe of mine here in OH. In 94 or 95 or something like that when all these guys/families got busted for clenbuterol, oil, fraud, etc. etc, there were several who got the lifetime ban. It was only a year or two later that one of them sold the steer that won most of the preview shows and then the state fair. He followed that steer all over the midwest and OH all year. I'm sure it was hard on them and that they felt punished, but it didn't seem like more than a couple years before they were right back out there.