Leg hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

DPShowCattle

i have found it good to rub lard in there legs then comb it in like your fitting them it has always worked really well for me or use a roto rice brush on them

3dfarms

We use a roto brush as well.  After we wash the animal we leave the legs wet/damp.  Then we start use the roto brush to work the hair up.  It doesn't happen over night but this will help grow leg hair.  Also we spray a sheen mixture in occasionally as well to keep the new hair shinning. 

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

rackranch

X3

3dfarms said:
We use a roto brush as well.  After we wash the animal we leave the legs wet/damp.  Then we start use the roto brush to work the hair up.  It doesn't happen over night but this will help grow leg hair.  Also we spray a sheen mixture in occasionally as well to keep the new hair shinning. 

Hope this helps.  Good luck.

allison04

Roto brush, roto brush, roto brush, roto brush. Make sure you keep it away from the tail. I learned the hard way.

OH Breeder

50% genetics 50% hard work. I have to give the kids credit. Pretty much everyday they are roto brushing the legs. We use what is called a "pudding" that comes from Walmart. Olive Oil for ethnic hair. Brushed in and then roto brush. We can blow the hair straight up. Attached is one heifer. I apologize as we having the feet done. This heifer had awesome hair to begin with. But it is working out amazingly.

Attachments

• Pixie leg hair.jpg
    Pixie leg hair.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 764

Sassy Show Stock

Problem with any ethnic hair care products: you can't find them in Wyoming or Montana. at least not around my area. lol. I rinsed cattle twice a day, fed show chow, and conditioned and sheen'ed the legs and bodies of my cattle last year...and had absolutely amazing hair on my registered angus heifer. (was pretty proud of her, was one of only 2 heifers in our class at National Jr Angus Show that actually had hair. lol)
I've heard the ethnic stuff works just never been able to find it so i deal with what i have

OH Breeder

Yes. Olive oil
In the winter months revive works great.
Summer Olive oil is always light and doesn't weigh hair down.

vc

For the olive oil, could you not use a "Misto Olive Oil Sprayer" it's for cooking. You fill it bump it and it sprays a fine mist of olive oil like on aerosol can.
http://misto.com/

Attachments

• oil sprayer.png
    oil sprayer.png
    524.5 KB · Views: 387

shortyjock89

Man, he kinda spelled it out for you. One of my favorite things growing up was trying out different things and seeing what works.

CMANGUS

we use a roto brush & will also use one of the rubber scrub brushes you use at the was rack.  constantly work it up

OH Breeder

vc said:
For the olive oil, could you not use a "Misto Olive Oil Sprayer" it's for cooking. You fill it bump it and it sprays a fine mist of olive oil like on aerosol can.
http://misto.com/

Not the same thing you are thinking of. There is a line of ethnic hair care products made from olive oil. ITs not actually olive oil. It is for hair that is dry needs oil.

Wash calf. Rinse blow. Make sure you wash and rinse legs good. Last think you want when you are fitting is dry skin and flakes coming to the top on a black animal.
BLow dry legs well. Apply olive oil pudding with a rice root or a plastic wash brush from hoof to briskt. Start working your hair bottom to top always spinning away from animal. That's why a reversible drill works great. Do all sides of the legs. Best to start in the front of the animal first time. Some are scared of the drill sounds. Good cordless with an extra battery pack work great. But cheap reversible with plug works too. Get an old tube sock and place over the tail. When you start the back legs do the same thing apply pudding to the hair brush it in. Or if its revive saturate and brush in. working hair spinning brush away from body. THe sock is so you don't get the tail caught in the spinning brush. You will only do it once. If you have alot of tail hair especially. Does that help? THe thing I like about the pudding is it moisturizes the skin and hair. For calves that are harder haired it seems to really soften the hair up quickly. You just don't want to work the leg dry. Any type of oil light conditioning oil will work on leg hair.  They make a lotion as well you can use on the tail hair to help soften and condition.

mainegirl

OH Breeder thanks for letting us know about the "pudding" I found some in my Walmart and gave it a try today....WOW!!!!! Never have I used a product that has such an immediate effect on the hair. I believe I will be stocking up on this stuff! :)