Lima Show

Help Support Steer Planet:

eskie

What a great set of heifers that were there, Left before it was over so I do not know who won.  Had to be a record # I thought.

red

wasn't there but heard that an April 08 heifer can weigh up to 900 pounds now. hummmmm.......

Red

ShowmanQ

red said:
wasn't there but heard that an April 08 heifer can weigh up to 900 pounds now. hummmmm.......

Red

HAHAHA (clapping)
Yes Red, I had the same convesation with your source on that information. We had a heifer born the last day of April show in the April class against a heifer supposedly born the 16thh that had to weigh 900lbs. ???

vet tech

So I'm curious what did yours weigh? Is 900 really a stretch. What was the breed.

OH Breeder

vet tech said:
So I'm curious what did yours weigh? Is 900 really a stretch. What was the breed.

The judge in the one ring made a comment  ;) wink wink these calves really are "large" for their age. If 900#'s on the mid and late aprils' r real then I want some of those club genetics. You had to see some of the calves. It was obvious they were found in April verses born. It is frustating when you register your calves on their birthdates but others a manipulating the dates by at least a month. The same judge also noted they were "really fat" as well.

red

like I told you, I'm sure if i sold my Dec 07 heifer she'd be a March in cross bred classes.
Until judges wake up & realize that they are encouraging this it will only get worse.
I'd rather show by hip height or weight.

Red

inthebarnagain

red said:
like I told you, I'm sure if i sold my Dec 07 heifer she'd be a March in cross bred classes.
Until judges wake up & realize that they are encouraging this it will only get worse.
I'd rather show by hip height or weight.

Red

AMEN!  The exact same thing happened to us at the NAILE.  One of our heifers was the oldest, according to the age listed by the others and was outweighed by at least 100 pounds.  She was the oldest by a month and a half down to two weeks.  The sad thing is, she is on the fat side too. 

red

we showed a bull at Louisville one year. He was about 8 months old.  Some of the other bulls in his class had scrotum's that were at least 3" bigger. They also dwarfed the bulls that were lower in class.

Red

Throttle

We all know that some folks are being a little generous on ages on some heifers. Always have, always will, but you might be surprised on some of the bigger ones that are really aged right, or pretty darn close to it.

I have a good buddy who has a very nice Shorty Plus heifer. He had her at NAILE trying to sell her, showed her in the open show. Her reg. paper says something in the first week of Feb, like the 5th or 6th. I fit her down there and she looked good, huge in that class. One of the folks that was looking at buying her kind of discreetly asked me how old is she really, like he didn't think the Feb age could be real. I said well I don't know for sure but can say for sure that I was visiting there on the weekend of Jan 26-27 and her mother had not calved yet then. i don't think he believed me either.

I bought a 1/2 Sim heifer that was born about June 15. I was in IN clipping heifers for Junior Nationals for a couple guys and I went to a couple spots to see calves while in the area, this was like during the third week of June. At this place where I got this one, I saw this really cool looking little calf that was obviously only a few days old, no tag (all the rest had them), very small, navel wasn't even clear dry yet, close to mama who was still very protective, acted like a newborn in every way, uncoordinated and all. I asked about this one and the guy told me what she was and said she was just born end of last week, she's the last spring calf. I asked if he'd hold onto that one for me until i got back out in Sept, bc I thought she was very well bred and had the potential to be real good. I went back, she was very nice, very HUGE, and I bought her. She had not been pushed unusually hard and was not unusually fat, and she looked like a March easy. I got her broke enough to get on the scale about Oct 10 or so and she weighed 605 right before evening feeding. I'm sure that with a show day fill on her she'd weigh 100 lbs or more heavier than that right now and I'm sure she is a true June.

I know some of them out there are fudged a bit on the papers, but I also know that there are cattle out there with enough rib and mass and growth traits to be pretty crazy big right now if they've been pushed for it.  I have a June heifer at home right now weighing 700 plus that is proof for me, and I'm also sure that she would've been a whole lot easier to break if she had been normal sized (hence, she was at home this weekend) ::)

Don't get me wrong, I know those are only two examples, and I know it is a problem at times. Does anyone have any ideas on ways to better age verifiy calves at shows or at registration time?

savaged

Add a money/cash factor to any human equation and you will get cheating by default.  It is simply impossible not to.  Trying to show heifers in their actual age class is considered a joke by many, and it makes me sad that even among our rural, county, conservative peers, being honest gets trumped by money and greed.

OH Breeder

Throttle said:
We all know that some folks are being a little generous on ages on some heifers. Always have, always will, but you might be surprised on some of the bigger ones that are really aged right, or pretty darn close to it.

I have a good buddy who has a very nice Shorty Plus heifer. He had her at NAILE trying to sell her, showed her in the open show. Her reg. paper says something in the first week of Feb, like the 5th or 6th. I fit her down there and she looked good, huge in that class. One of the folks that was looking at buying her kind of discreetly asked me how old is she really, like he didn't think the Feb age could be real. I said well I don't know for sure but can say for sure that I was visiting there on the weekend of Jan 26-27 and her mother had not calved yet then. i don't think he believed me either.

I bought a 1/2 Sim heifer that was born about June 15. I was in IN clipping heifers for Junior Nationals for a couple guys and I went to a couple spots to see calves while in the area, this was like during the third week of June. At this place where I got this one, I saw this really cool looking little calf that was obviously only a few days old, no tag (all the rest had them), very small, navel wasn't even clear dry yet, close to mama who was still very protective, acted like a newborn in every way, uncoordinated and all. I asked about this one and the guy told me what she was and said she was just born end of last week, she's the last spring calf. I asked if he'd hold onto that one for me until i got back out in Sept, bc I thought she was very well bred and had the potential to be real good. I went back, she was very nice, very HUGE, and I bought her. She had not been pushed unusually hard and was not unusually fat, and she looked like a March easy. I got her broke enough to get on the scale about Oct 10 or so and she weighed 605 right before evening feeding. I'm sure that with a show day fill on her she'd weigh 100 lbs or more heavier than that right now and I'm sure she is a true June.

I know some of them out there are fudged a bit on the papers, but I also know that there are cattle out there with enough rib and mass and growth traits to be pretty crazy big right now if they've been pushed for it.  I have a June heifer at home right now weighing 700 plus that is proof for me, and I'm also sure that she would've been a whole lot easier to break if she had been normal sized (hence, she was at he ome this weekend) ::)

Don't get me wrong, I know those are only two examples, and I know it is a problem at times. Does anyone have any ideas on ways to better age verifiy calves at shows or at registration time?

I am with you and believe there are growthy cattle out there. But, my gut told me alot of them were fudged a couple of months. The best show I have went to so far this year they showed by weights. There were no extremes. Maybe we should just show by hip height and be done. If they want an age the judge can ask. I believe there are really growthy genetics but some of these heifers will be the same size at the beef expo they are now. We have always felt the Beef expo is more fair because usually by that age they have caught up some in height.

You are one of the few folks I would believe when they quote an age. We raise a dozen calves a year. All the cows came from different farms across the country and we use different sires. My struggle is when i see them all in the same size range then go to a show see them dwarfed by 4 inches; have to  wonder is it our genetics or what we are feeding. But by expo(mid end March)  no feed change we seem to be in line with the others.

The quality was really deep at this show. It was one of the best I have seen in years. I would not take that away from it. Some folks really brought their A game.

Losin Money

Red I must have asked twenty women if they were "Red"! I was hoping to meet you but didnt get to!  I'll have to get your cell number so I can find you at the next one! Rick

redwingfarm

I tend to agree with OHbreeder, it seems like there is some "fudging" going on especially when you see a class of 6 heifers, 3 of which are seemingly normal in size and then 3 monsters 
Also to get to 900 with an april calf do the math  calf born @ 100lbs(not a calving ease sire) then go 240 days to Dec 1.  The calf must gain 800 lbs over the 240 days for an average of 3.3 lbs per day, not impossible maybe, but if the "april" calf instead was awake and saw her shadow on ground hog day lets say the then 800 lbs would be divided over 300 days for a rate of gain of a more realistic 2.66 lbs per day.  A "growthy" calf is always possible but what do your calves weigh when you wean them at 5-6 mo of age??
Its time that judges at a big important National show (say Louisville or Denver)grow a little spine and call them the way everybody standing ringside can clearly see them, a simple placing of the "excessively growthy" calves at the bottom of the class due to "excessive frame"  would go a long way to start cleaning this up.
Cheating is personal choice but unfortunately its hard to continue to do the right thing and still look your child in the eye when they ask how it is possible that their calf isn't big enough

onthegofarmer

I agree With Redwingfarmer.  Does anybody have the run down of the winners?  Who had the 900# April heifer?

OH Breeder

onthegofarmer said:
I agree With Redwingfarmer.  Does anybody have the run down of the winners?   Who had the 900# April heifer?

I am not sure that the 900 lbs was meant to be literal, but only a statement that some of the calves were excessively growthy and fat.

(thumbsup) Red Wing Farm

red

Top 5 Heifers Ring A  Top 5 Heifers Ring B
Champion
Jordan Sills
Crossbred Champion  Champion
Kayla Campbell
MaineTainer Champion
Res. Champion
Sara Vickland
MaineTainer Champion  Res. Champion
Jordan Gilbert
% Simmental Champion
3rd Overall
Kayla Campbell
Reserve MaineTainer Champion  3rd Overall
Sarah Vickland
Reserve MaineTainer Champion 
4th Overall
Becca Chamberlin
ShorthornPlus Champion  4th Overall
Maci Chamberlin
Hereford Champion
5th Overall
Austin Miles
Reserve Crossbred Champion  5th Overall
Kaitlyn Thompson
Reserve % Simmental Champion

Breed & Division Winners

Heifers Ring A  Heifers Ring B

Angus
Ch - Bethaney Enos
Res - Dalton Brown

Angus
Ch - Bethaney Enos
Res - Brent Kasler

Chianina
Ch - Paige Wohlers
Res - Megan Hunt

Chianina
Ch - Megan Hunt
Res - Hannah Topmiller

Hereford
Ch - Maci Chamberlin
Res - Kreitz Show Cattle

Hereford
Ch - Maci Chamberlin
Res - Kreitz Show Cattle

High % Maine
Ch - Cameron Alexander
Res - Danielle Durham

High % Maine
Ch - Danielle Durham
Res - Cameron Alexander

MaineTainer
Ch - Sarah Vickland
Res - Kayla Campbell

MaineTainer
Ch - Kayla Campbell
Res - Sarah Vickland

Shorthorn
Ch - Blake Bunch
Res - Kreitz Show Cattle

Shorthorn
Ch - Kreitz Show Cattle
Res - Zach Minges

ShorthornPlus
Ch - Becca Chamberlin
Res - Zach Taylor

ShorthornPlus
Ch - Becca Chamberlin
Res - Zach Taylor

Purebred Simmental
Ch - Garett Davis
Res - Lauren Grimes

Purebred Simmental
Ch - Lauren Grimes
Res - Adam Almburg

Percentage Simmental
Ch - Jordan Gilbert
Res - Curtis Harsh

Percentage Simmental
Ch - Jordan Gilbert
Res - Kaitlyn Thompson

AOB
Ch - Stephanie Dickson
Res - Meredith Oglesby

AOB
Ch - Stephanie Dickson
Res - Megan Greenawalt

Crossbred
Champion Crossbred - Jordan Sills
Reserve Cross - Austin Miles

Crossbred
Champion Crossbred - Jordan Sills
Reserve Cross - Kayla Campbell

Top 5 Market Animals Ring A  Top 5 Market Animals Ring B
Champion
Emma Vickland
Crossbred Champion  Champion
Emma Vickland
Crossbred Champion
Res. Champion
Morgan Miles
Reserve Crossbred Champion  Res. Champion
Morgan Miles
Reserve Crossbred Champion
3rd Overall
Andrew Sloan
3rd Overall Crossbred Champion  3rd Overall
Andrew Sloan
3rd Overall Crossbred Champion
4th Overall
Chloe Martin
4th Overall Crossbred Champion  4th Overall
Celeste Martin
Shorthorn Champion
5th Overall
Jacob Ruffing
ShorthornPlus Champion  5th Overall
Chelsea Faulk
4th Overall Crossbred

Breed & Division Winners

Ring A  Ring B

Angus
Ch - Chase Sanders
Res - Brook Roberts

Angus
Ch - Brooke Roberts
Res - Kelsey Gahler

Chianina
Ch - Dalton Brown
Res - Sarah Vickland

Chianina
Ch - Curtis Harsh
Res - Sarah Vickland

Hereford
Ch - Samantha Norman
Res - Jessica Murphy

Hereford
Ch - Samantha Norman
Res - Jessica Murphy

Maine-Anjou
Ch - Jessica Harsh
Res - Kendyll Winter

Maine-Anjou
Ch - Kendyll Winter
Res - Michaela Palmer

Shorthorn
Ch - Celeste Martin
Res - Dylan Newman

Shorthorn
Ch - Celeste Martin
Res - Dylan Newman

ShorthornPlus
Ch - Jacob Ruffing
Res - Lindsey Pugh

ShorthornPlus
Ch - Lindsey Pugh
Res - Jacob Ruffing

Simmental
Ch - Justin Zwick
Res - Drew Sanders

Simmental
Ch - Justin Zwick
Res - Jacob Moore

AOB
Ch - Brandon Klehm
Res - Alyssa Muhlenkamp

AOB
Ch - Colton Northrup
Res - Alyssa Muhlenkamp

Market Heifers
Ch - Loagn Shore
Res - Bailey DeGroat

Market Heifers
Ch - Logan Shore
Res - Bailey DeGroat

Crossbred
Div I - Andrew Sloan
Res Div I - Malania Birney
Div II - Chloe Martin
Res Div II - Chelsea Fulk
Div III - Emma Vickland
Res Div III - Morgan Miles
Div IV - Austin Trbovich
Res Div IV - Lacy Murray
Div V - Aaron Hoerst
Res Div V - Breanna Oakes

Champion Crossbred - Emma Vickland
Reserve Cross - Morgan Miles
3rd Cross - Andrew Sloan
4th Cross - Chloe Martin
5th Cross - Chelsea Fulk

Crossbred
Div I - Andrew Sloan
Res Div I - Malania Birney
Div II - Chelsea Faulk
Res Div II - Jacob Jones
Div III - Emma Vickland
Res Div III - Morgan Miles
Div IV - Lacy Murray
Res Div IV - Alivia Trbovich
Div V - Aaron Hoerst
Res Div V - Breanna Oakes

Champion Crossbred - Emma Vickland
Reserve Cross - Morgan Miles
3rd Cross - Andrew Sloan
4th Cross - Chelsea Faulk
5th Cross - Malania Birney

red

I did find out that a steer that came from our farm & had our genetics on the dam's side was 2nd in it's class behind the reserve champion.

Showsteerdelux- that was the Red Vision calf we looked at

Red

showsteerdlux

Tell your nephew congrats for me. I knew that calf was good when I saw him. I'm glad that they are having some success with him.