Live Chat

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

Dusty said:
knabe said:
what do you need a phone for in class?

In case someone needed to get ahold of me...employer, dad, etc...

it was a generic you, sorry dusty.

and before cell phones? 

seems you just called the office and they went and got your child.

Jace

Oh I follow them, don't get me wrong, but it is almost like since it is a rule that you can't have them, it makes students want to text that much more. JMO

kimbaljd

farwest said:
I feel sorry for your students. I have a hard time believing you and my children would have any kind of a positive relationship.

This right here is the problem with our country. The parents will not back the teacher up, when that teacher is just trying to inforce the rules. What are we teaching our kids? I guess you can do whatever you want whenever you want and screw the rules as long as it makes you "feel" good!

knabe

Jace said:
but it is almost like since it is a rule that you can't have them, it makes students want to text that much more. JMO

sounds like the difference between a child and an adult.

we are delaying adulthood more and more.

farwest

kimbaljd said:
farwest said:
I feel sorry for your students. I have a hard time believing you and my children would have any kind of a positive relationship.

This right here is the problem with our country. The parents will not back the teacher up, when that teacher is just trying to inforce the rules. What are we teaching our kids? I guess you can do whatever you want whenever you want and screw the rules as long as it makes you "feel" good!
Um no, what is a problem is a negative attitude towards everything that comes along.  Why would I want that around my kids when theres is so positive.  Theres better ways to teach and enforce rules than with a hitler type attitude.  Ask my three 4.0 kids with the great attitudes.

farwest

farwest said:
kimbaljd said:
farwest said:

Um no, what is a problem is a negative attitude towards everything that comes along.  Why would I want that around my kids when theres is so positive.  Theres better ways to teach and enforce rules than with a hitler type attitude.  Ask my three 4.0 kids with the great attitudes.
And if you've read much on this forum you would know this reply wasn't just a result of this thread only. 

Jace

knabe said:
Jace said:
but it is almost like since it is a rule that you can't have them, it makes students want to text that much more. JMO

sounds like the difference between a child and an adult.

we are delaying adulthood more and more.

You sure do like to start stuff Knabe, don't you? You can talk all you want, but put yourself in one of the students positions and see if you will use your phone. If you think that everyone follows rules you are lying to yourself, I bet you money you have broken rules in your life. So stop going around to other people and telling them how wrong they are and that I am such a child because you know what, maybe I am... Should I be treated different? NO!!

Jace

Oh, and stop being the big cocky guy, because you aren't impressing anyone

shortyjock89

I never texted in class in High School, and rarely do in college, even though it's not exactly against the rules.  You'll wish you paid a little more attention in High School once you're out of there.

knabe

farwest said:
Um no, what is a problem is a negative attitude towards everything (everything?) that comes along.  Why would I want that around my kids when theres is so positive (just like your respnse to this thread, and others referred to).  Theres better ways to teach and enforce rules than with a hitler type attitude.  Ask my three 4.0 kids with the great attitudes.

your responses seem personal in nature.

they seem like reading a bunch of therapy books, watching oprah, reading every self help book and expecting everyone else to change and then pouting when those they want to change put it back in your face and say, if you read all that material, why haven't you improved, or show me how rather than just being a clammed up nag.  

you mentioned what is wrong.

offer a solution of what to do rather than what not to do to demonstrate your superior supervision skills with more detail than and skip the blanket statements.  you aren't do yourself any favors either.

at this point, it's a who can complain about the other loudest, get the most consignors to your position, just like is wasted in politics.

i don't know anyone involved in the personal side of this thread, but i only hear one method of reinforcement, regardless of age.

if you have a rule, you need an enforcement policy.  didn't really see anything wrong with the scenario presented other than you don't like the presenter.

at this point, i sound the same as well.

knabe

Jace said:
You sure do like to start stuff Knabe, don't you?ok, but it sounds like you did with your references that are personal in nature to me and you know who.  You can talk all you want, but put yourself in one of the students positions and see if you will use your phone. not if you get sent to the principle.  rules have consequences.  after you pay the consequence, you think twice.  we are removing consequences, hence their's and your behavior.  there is no 100% compliance to anything.  that is a straw man argument.) If you think that everyone follows rules you are lying to yourself (who said that?), I bet you money you have broken rules in your life. So stop going around to other people and telling them how wrong they are and that I am such a child because you know what, maybe I am.(you first, lead by example).. Should I be treated different? NO everyone gets treated the same.  !! 

how about going around and telling people how right they are once in a while that you don't like personally?  it's a little tougher isn't it?

jason

I got live chat widget that I can add.  I always thought it would take away from the threads as there is nothing saved in live chat.  Thus one could not go back and read went on that day, unless they were live chatting during the day.

Jace

I don't know you personally so I don't have anything against you, but I see you on forums and it seems like you go and put negative to everything. JMHO

kimbaljd

farwest said:
farwest said:
kimbaljd said:
farwest said:

And if you've read much on this forum you would know this reply wasn't just a result of this thread only. 

And you might know that a rule is a rule. The rule is no phones. Why in Gods name does that make a teacher a "Hitler type" as you so eloquently put it? Teachers trying to follow rules! OH THE HORROR! Be damned with the rules! Lets all just hug it out!

kimbaljd

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
I never texted in class in High School, and rarely do in college, even though it's not exactly against the rules.  You'll wish you paid a little more attention in High School once you're out of there.

EXACTLY! If a kid is texting or messing with their phones they ARE NOT paying attention to the teacher.

kimbaljd

Jason said:
I got live chat widget that I can add.  I always thought it would take away from the threads as there is nothing saved in live chat.  Thus one could not go back and read went on that day, unless they were live chatting during the day.

I vote "NO"n the live chat! You can ask a question on here and you will have an answer with in a few minutes most of the time.

Jace

You guys do whatever you please, I don't care anymore. I pay attention in class and get no less than a "C" in ANY class, so I pay attention. You guys keep arguing if you please but I vote YES. I just don't get why a live chat is so horrible?????