Liveauction.tv

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

thanks for your position Juli. I just can't justify spending the money & will be sorry that I can't watch some of the sales that I have enjoyed in the past. I know that several of my heifers & flushes have been bought through the on-line auctions.

Red

jason

I emailed him and told him to take a look if he gets a chance.  Its the holidays, so a lot of people our on vacation right now.

uluru said:
Jason
Could we find a way for Brad to get a composit view of the opinions on this site about his change of business processes so he can perhaps rethink his approach?
I don't know whether or not he is a member of SP or if he lurks on the site.
Perhaps we could invite him to read the comments - pro & con.
I don't want to see his business disappear.
I just don't happen to agree with his new approach.
Perhaps he could be sent a e-mail of the comments/debate that has taken place on this site, a debate that has been in a very mature manner I would suggest.
The comments may be beneficial to him.

Just a thought.

.............................Bob

bluffcountrycattle

I guess I don't think I should be "penalized" for being a watcher...there is a reason that I took the time to tune in and watch the sale online.  Most likely it is because there was a program or genetics that interest me, and am curious to know what certain lots bring in the sales.  Just reading the sale report of the top 10 animals has no indication of how the sale went, and what was affordable.  Most likely I will find some animals and pedigrees that I like, and if they are affordable by watching them sell online, I am more inclined to attend the sale in person next time, or be prepared to buy online next time.  Online auctions are all about attracting new customers and prospects...a marketing tool to attract new potential buyers!  If I called the breeder and requested a sale catalog, I am 100% sure they would send me one!  If I told them I wasn't a buyer, but still interested in their program, I am 99% positive they would still send me a catalog.  I highly doubt i would hear "sorry, since you aren't a buyer, we cannot afford to send you one".  And the funny thing is, the "big name" sales that are requiring the log in are most likely the consignors that can afford to pay for extra bandwidth!  Some of the Denver angus sales have consignors that will spend huge amounts just on the food and cocktails...and most of those attending will not be buyers!  It is a social gathering for the most part.  For those that can't get time away to attend Denver, they are penalizing us "potential" buyers that just MAY decide to buy something while tuned in online!  Don't penalize the watchers...because someday we will be the buyers!

kanshow

I don't like it either and there is going to have to be an animal I cannot do without before I'd pay the $50..    I've also viewed enough online auctions to know that there are almost always difficulties.. if I'm really going to bid & buy, I'm going to be on the phone.  That said, I would imagine the shear number of watchers tends to clog up the system & maybe that is part of the reason behind the $50 - to weed out some of those non buyers.    A thought I had might be to have a free site for all the lookers to watch & another more secure site where you pay to play and get your $ back when you buy.    I think an early enough timeline needs to be set so you don't have to give your CC #.. and stick to that timeframe. 

Doc

bluffcountrycattle said:
I guess I don't think I should be "penalized" for being a watcher...there is a reason that I took the time to tune in and watch the sale online.  Most likely it is because there was a program or genetics that interest me, and am curious to know what certain lots bring in the sales.  Just reading the sale report of the top 10 animals has no indication of how the sale went, and what was affordable.  Most likely I will find some animals and pedigrees that I like, and if they are affordable by watching them sell online, I am more inclined to attend the sale in person next time, or be prepared to buy online next time.  Online auctions are all about attracting new customers and prospects...a marketing tool to attract new potential buyers!  If I called the breeder and requested a sale catalog, I am 100% sure they would send me one!  If I told them I wasn't a buyer, but still interested in their program, I am 99% positive they would still send me a catalog.  I highly doubt i would hear "sorry, since you aren't a buyer, we cannot afford to send you one".  And the funny thing is, the "big name" sales that are requiring the log in are most likely the consignors that can afford to pay for extra bandwidth!  Some of the Denver angus sales have consignors that will spend huge amounts just on the food and cocktails...and most of those attending will not be buyers!  It is a social gathering for the most part.  For those that can't get time away to attend Denver, they are penalizing us "potential" buyers that just MAY decide to buy something while tuned in online!  Don't penalize the watchers...because someday we will be the buyers!

You make a lot of good points.

Doc

I got an e-mail today from them saying FREE watching &  bidding. Anybody else get this? If this is true , it's great that he listened to the people that made his company what it is.

bluffcountrycattle

I got an email too, but it was a "bucket list of new year's resolutions".  From what I read, it looked like they were sticking to the subscription format...not free!  What I found most interesting was the bandwidth projections for 2009 was $5000 per month...however in there he also mentioned a list of 62,000 users (and growing).  Do the math, and if you spread that cost out alone to just the users, it's less than $1 per user for the year.  If every user bought a $50 subscription, that is over $3 million revenue!  Will be interesting to see how it impacts the upcoming sales, and how many sale hosts will waive the subscription option to increase online attendance and bidders.  Does anyone have any other new emails that suggest otherwise??

JbarL

Juli N a/k/a common sense said:
When we chose to use this route for our sale we were not aware of the charge or that may have made a difference in our decision.  We do not receive ANY of the "fees" that are charged. They did agree to refund the fee to anyone who purchased something on line.  Although I may not agree with the fee structure I do understand why they had to do something so drastic.  The people that were simply using it as a means to watch the sale and not buy or bid were making it impossible for the bidding process to work well. It was like clogging up the arteries of the system.  Their purpose is to provide bidders not spectators although all are welcome in the stands.

As for wanting some kind of credentials or back check I guess that only seems fair when you don't have any idea who you are working with.  They are responsible for collecting the money from their bidders.  For all they know it could be some ten year old kid in South Africa bidding on line.  They do not receive payment immediately following the sale....the sale barn has a warm body there that is accountable for payment and at the very least they will have a check in their hands and a drivers license for verification.

I also agree that it is always better to go straight to the source and ask your questions rather than speculate on a board. Live Auctions did a fabulous job and I appreciate the hard work that goes into having them help with a sale.

Juli

i agree with your comments as well julie...except for the " clogging up part"...speculators/chat roomers/tire kickers ...what ever they end up being called......if on line is the same as being there as far as bidding and buying goes, then "tire kicking" and speculating should be allowed as well....not sure what artery your talking about getting "severely clogged?"...if its questions asked by buyers....then i think they should  lose that battle,...for that scenerio i believe you should be there...if you got that many questions, or your that indecisive...your out....bidding either continues or ends. 
Steve123 makes the most petinate point i believe....free market....data base...do yoiu know how much "stuff" those 200 people are going to recieve from  every breeder/bootmaker/trailer sellin'/feed co op/seed company/hay baler salesmen in the entire country.  its probally going to happen to  us  that have already singed up and given an address/ email or other wise. for any of the auctions  ..........so at that point its no longer is about cows..... its about marketing and base networking....for as many different opinions and all different ideas we all have had....to marketing we are all in the same pile  ..i think the best intenitons are at work here.....but i think the " tire kickers" and" just watchers" are going to have to be compensated cause it wont work without there numbers " in attendence".....and there are many....obvisiously alot here dont seem that keen....some do.
i watched my first one a month or so a go...the no bull sale... iwatched the whole thing...not a glitch that i noticed...but what the heck...i was just watching and checin the prices of sos semen, and a couple lot prices for a friend. 
i'd give $50 simply for the emailed results of the sale.....is that to mcuh to ask if i subscribe ?....or is that where this is going> ?  seems now if yoiu wnat to get rid of the tire kickers and the speculators...then a i guess 50 bucks is a cheap way of doing it....anyone else in for $50 if they throw in the resluts emailed back in 24 hours?  and does anyone on the transmitting side think that may "clog" up the system as well ? and is that a do able  deal for you all?....
i think the "system" is "clogged up" all right..... and about ready to bust with informationand data galore......i blame no one for gettin on the train........but dont sell tickets to run beside it...jbarl

dori36

Here's what was in the email - it followed the "bucket list":

How to bid:

Step 1) 
Register for a free LiveAuctions.tv account (one-time registration).
Step 2) 
Log-in to your desired auctions and Request a Buyer Number for each auction you desire to bid on.
Special Note: 
Due to the increasing numbers of online bidders and Buyer # Requests please register and sign-up early to guarantee that your online seat is saved and your buyer number has been processed. LiveAuctions.tv makes no guarantees that a user will be assigned a buyer number the day of the sale.
My Connection: LiveAuctions.tv 's viewing experience can vary on two primary reasons: 1) the speed of the internet connection at the sale site 2) your internet connection at your bidding computer.  We prefer DSL or Cable internet connections.  A wireless internet connection will work - however, a wireless connection can be affected by weather and other elements just like your cell phone reception.

bluffcountrycattle

dori36 said:
Here's what was in the email - it followed the "bucket list":

How to bid:

Step 1) 
Register for a free LiveAuctions.tv account (one-time registration).
Step 2) 
Log-in to your desired auctions and Request a Buyer Number for each auction you desire to bid on.
Special Note: 
Due to the increasing numbers of online bidders and Buyer # Requests please register and sign-up early to guarantee that your online seat is saved and your buyer number has been processed. LiveAuctions.tv makes no guarantees that a user will be assigned a buyer number the day of the sale.
My Connection: LiveAuctions.tv 's viewing experience can vary on two primary reasons: 1) the speed of the internet connection at the sale site 2) your internet connection at your bidding computer.  We prefer DSL or Cable internet connections.  A wireless internet connection will work - however, a wireless connection can be affected by weather and other elements just like your cell phone reception.

I think steps one and two are the same as they have always been...because you had to register with a username to log in and watch the sales.  I'm sure certain sales will require a subscription...pay to play!  Reading through their email, they are will leave it in the hands of their sale hosts...probably a lower sale expense and viewer subscriptions, or the host could request no subscription fee for their sale, but probably be expected to pay more for their service.  With Edje and DvAuction doing sales too, are they all comparable in price for their service?

dori36

Doc said:
Upper right corner of the e-mail had listed "Free bidding & watching".

I've been a member of liveauction.tv for quite a while and have always watched with no problem.  So, with the not-so-clear new way to bid (subscription) sent out to all of us, I went ahead and went to the site, logged in, clicked on the sale I'm interested in (Lowline) and, voila', up came the window that says I have to "pay to play".  On  the left side of the page it still says "Free watching and bidding".  Soooo, I emailed them for a clarification.  I'll let y'all know what I get for an explanation.

racekannon

I understand part of the problem kinda like the people that come to a sale to eat and watch only and then sit in the in all the seats where the bidders can't get in.  I have bought over the phone while watching and bid for people watching a sale I am at.  I know one person that has had them brodcast their sale and buy quite a bit online and they asked about my experance with DV after hearing about the subsription fee, first thing out of their mouth was it cost us $2000.  I didn't watch the Holiday Classic and it cost one consingnor for I would have bought one that I didn't think I could get bought.  Maybe something had to be done but 50 bucks from me after paying higher commision at a sale I sale in to have it brodcast is too much.

dori36

dori36 said:
Doc said:
Upper right corner of the e-mail had listed "Free bidding & watching".

I've been a member of liveauction.tv for quite a while and have always watched with no problem.  So, with the not-so-clear new way to bid (subscription) sent out to all of us, I went ahead and went to the site, logged in, clicked on the sale I'm interested in (Lowline) and, voila', up came the window that says I have to "pay to play".  On  the left side of the page it still says "Free watching and bidding".  Soooo, I emailed them for a clarification.  I'll let y'all know what I get for an explanation.

Here's what I got from Liveauction: 

<<Each sale is different.  Some will require subscriptions to view but not to listen.  You can see which ones require subscriptions here:  http://liveauctions.tv/MySale/aspx>>

Sadly, the National Lowline Sale requires a subscription.  Now I'll have to decide if it's worth the fee to watch.  I'll not be a buyer but I like to keep track of prices so I can assist when people want my help pricing their cattle on my website.

klintdog

I noticed on edjecast tonight that they're making a big to-do that they are free and don't charge subscription prices. I wonder if this is going to backfire on them since it gave the competition something to run with.

JbarL

30deg 17&#039; 11.73 N 81deg 35&#039;59.94&q
broadcasters need sponsers to pay for there "time" on the waves, be it local air waves, cable tv, or braodband .....rfd cattle sales / stanton barrett car sales....ect "show " live acutions  for free...but the tab is picked up by the sponsers....broadband which was first advertised as "free"...has never been...."free". un fortunatly  it does cost money/time/ equipment/......but commercials...or banners in sight of the camera or a rotationg "sponsor" screen , like the one behind home plate in mlb....is another option....free market interprise at its best....we are soon to see your "kia" like produciton companies, cheap and low bugjet ( but a bit un reliable)...and your "mercedes" productions....( expensive, hyped, but reliable)...1 minute extra time for each lot to "clear" both onsite bidders and online bidders make a 100 lot sale an hour and a half longer...that will never change....but someone has to pay....i say let  sponsors ( purina/ featherlight trailers/ even private ranches ect ) have the tab...there is obvisoulsy qute a growing  market base or there wouldnt 3 or 4  production companies competing for the work. ......... jbarl

Doc

<<Each sale is different.  Some will require subscriptions to view but not to listen.  You can see which ones require subscriptions here:  http://liveauctions.tv/MySale/aspx>>

Sadly, the National Lowline Sale requires a subscription.  Now I'll have to decide if it's worth the fee to watch.  I'll not be a buyer but I like to keep track of prices so I can assist when people want my help pricing their cattle on my website.
[/quote]

To me that doesn't make sense. For some to charge & others not. Does that mean that the ones that charge , that the person putting on the sale gets the money? I mean to me , he can either do it for free or he can't. Either way it's not the end of the world for me, it was nice but I made it a long time without it. The other thing that might change his fee, is call the farms that have been using liveauctions & tell them because of the fee , you won't be watching their sale anymore & potentially buying & they may want to think about switching to edgecast.

dori36

Doc said:

To me that doesn't make sense. For some to charge & others not. Does that mean that the ones that charge , that the person putting on the sale gets the money? I mean to me , he can either do it for free or he can't. Either way it's not the end of the world for me, it was nice but I made it a long time without it. The other thing that might change his fee, is call the farms that have been using liveauctions & tell them because of the fee , you won't be watching their sale anymore & potentially buying & they may want to think about switching to edgecast.
[/quote]

Your thoughts were exactly mine when I got the reply.  Sooo, being the obnoxious sort that I am, I sent Brad another email asking for clarification as to who gets the $ when some sales are subscription only.  I haven't gotten a reply yet to that.  I'm guessing that there's a fee to be paid for having liveauction.tv broadcast your sale.  If the sale manager wants to pick it up, or most of it, then there'd be no subscription fee to watchers/bidders.  If the sale opts not to cover the fee (all or part of it), then the subscribers will have to pay.  I can see that being the case with the managers of the Lowline sale just from past experience.  Again, if I get a response from Brad, I'll pass it along!