Long After Becoming Meat, Prized Steer is at the center of a Legal Beef

Help Support Steer Planet:

steer-guy

I think the hammer should be brought down on Mr Martin. He knew what he was doing and all BS aside, knew full well how wrong it was. Just trying to make more money for himself.
In Houston, when a calf makes the sale, it is branded before exiting the arena. Like I said before, once the calf makes the sale, it becomes the "property" of the show. Technically, that's when ownership changes. Therefore, this calf was "STOLEN" by Mr Martin if he was in fact the person that came and picked it up. Should be prosecuted for it.

WFCC

im not assuming that vicklands didnt pay for a steer. i have heard this from a source that is very reliable.  I dont care if the people have money, that doesnt mean the transaction is real.  If you think all of these 50,000 steers are real money, you might want to check further.

knabe

WFCC said:
im not assuming that vicklands didnt pay for a steer. i have heard this from a source that is very reliable. 

reliability has nothing to do with anything.  there were many "reliable" breeders who said PHA and TH were not a problem, they didn't have any or had ever heard of it and it wouldn't be a problem with any cattle they sold to you.

this business of touting reliability is simply unreliable.  what people say and do has a poor correlation at best.  i will say that some of those "reliable" breeders however are reliable business people, at least in my experience.

fed_champions

Getting back on topic... This case has inside job written all over it... Brian Martin is not gonna come in and steal a steer without their knowledge... They have like five other kids and he is in the business of keeping customers happy... this family has a lot of years left to show, and they  show good cattle, why would he purposely burn a bridge to a customer like that... If they were buying from me, i would bend over backwards to please them... This little stunt has been pulled more than anyone wants to admit, and this one seems blatantly true... All actions have consequences, if u want to lower ur morals and teach ur kids this is ok, then u should have to suffer the consequences.

And Yes a brand of sale cattle would solve this problem indefinantly

farmin female

As someone said, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.  And the only people who will ever know what really happened are those who were involved.  One way or another, I'm thinking the 15k sales price for the steer the article mentions sure isn't much to risk for all this trouble.  The lawyers are the only ones who come out in these deals.