Looking for new shorthorn herd bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

mark tenenbaum

WhyLee said:
Echoing Mark's point, one has to know the whole question before determining the correct answer. I've been foolin' with Shorthorns for almost 40 years. I've yet to find a Shorthorn cow that did not have the genetic capability to produce enough milk to let her calf express his or her genetic potential for growth. Some may be better than others, but any evaluation of optimal milk production must also factor in the environmental conditions and management practices of the producer. I have however, had Shorthorn cows that did not have the genetics to pass stoutness and growth to their offspring. "Maternal" by definition is a combination of milk and growth. (Maternal EPD equals milk and 1/2 weaning weight.) Significant "maternal" improvement can be made by influencing either, or both, milk and growth. In a club calf producing operation it seems the the objective is to find the necessary maternal ability in a phenotypically pleasing package. This is what we are trying to do with a Shorthorn and Shorthorn influenced cow herd. The "showring" selection in the Shorthorn breed over the past many decades makes it easier to find the phenotype we need and if you look carefully you can still find the necessary stoutness and  growth. I whole heartedly agree with Kndcattle in the decision to use Shorthorn genetics to enhance a club calf herd.//// Thats basically what Ive been doing in a small way-AND NOTHING CHANGES and or -CROSSES WITH OTHER CATTLE LIKE SHORTHORNS-ANGUS-thats partially because everything goes back to them-Face the facts-Angus as a rule are the sorriest show cattle BAR NONE(till you get in the very top of the breed) Shorthorns are pretty much the same and there are EONS LESS OF THEM. I AM NOT KNOCKING THE GREAT CHAROLAIS AND SIMM WAVE-just keeping it British for this discussion.-But look at the crosses-Im on every sale I can look at- My hats off to the Angus crosses-I see and rightly so- But EVERY sale that has a decent Shorthorn Cross or Short-even if the 30-50 others are black-shows that Horn or cross in the top 5 or higher even if there is just one on the sale Which per head-has to make them the highest averaging club calf breed there is BY INFLUENCE AND BY  NUMBERS-no not allways the top of the sale -but do the math.Also-JMO-the crossed up Angus are by far better by the numbers than any other Angus I look at-same principal.Id throw ideas on what would work here-but frankly-I dont see the poster serious enough to even take the time give anything but a very vague idea of  what the cows are.  O0 O0O0

aj

Trump has just announced that "no shorthorn or shorthorn plus........will be allowed to show anywhere in the world without passing a genetic free test"? Bahahahahahah Shorthorn shows cancelled world wide.

oakview

What are you talking about?  Which of the past 5 years' national champions in the purebred show have been defect carriers?  National Junior Heifer Show?  There are some plusses that are carriers, but if you want to complain, try targeting steer shows.  The plus show tends to shadow the steer game a little bit, maybe.  We had over 100 head in the Shorthorn show at our Iowa State Fair.  Any of the champions in the purebred show carriers?  I bet you could count the TH or PHA carriers ion one hand.  There may have been a few DS carriers, but no more than a handful.  Maybe you should take the time to check out the herd bull line ups of the breeders of most of the champions.  I see very, very few cattle in the Cates, Sullivan, etc. sales that are defect carriers and that's where most of the winners seem to come from.  Last time I checked, Solution, Red Reward, Bloodstone, Legacy, etc. were all clean.  Maybe I missed something.  The young bulls they're using look pretty clean to me, too.  The purebreds for the most part are clean, some of the plusses not so much. 

mark tenenbaum

Even if they are Th etc or DS which is a mountain out of a molehill-and you want the cool thick cattle which have essentially disappeared-JUST BREED EM TO A CLEAN ONE-Especially if you dont have $8000 and up for a halfway competitive heifer O0 O0

aj

The DS wouldn't even been known about if it wasn't for PHA. At least that's the way I understand it. Because the PHA carrier magnifies the DS deformity?

shortybreeder

Why did this thread go from being about finding a shorthorn herd bull to being an anti-defect propoganda thread? Start a new thread if you want to talk about defects, but leave this one for those of us looking for herd bulls.

mark tenenbaum

shortybreeder said:
Why did this thread go from being about finding a shorthorn herd bull to being an anti-defect propoganda thread? Start a new thread if you want to talk about defects, but leave this one for those of us looking for herd bulls.////
-I agree but the number of people looking for a Shorthorn bull certainly would constitute  a majority-at least in sheer numbers (lol) (lol) O0 O0