Lowline X Clubby genetics

Help Support Steer Planet:

wowcows

I am just interested of there are anybody out there that is using Lowline genetics on their clubby bred females. Say for their first calf heifers or even their 2nd calvers.

LazyGLowlines

We've got a few clubby cows we bred to lowlines, including daughters of Heat Seeker, Sin City and Heat Wave. We were very impressed when we bred our commercial cattle to lowline bulls and are breeding them back.  One of the 1/2 lowline calves is already 440 lbs at only 4 months old.

wrc

We put fullblood lowline embryos in our fall calving replacement heifers last fall.  2 of the heifers have already calved and we had great luck other than both calves are bulls and we wanted heifers.  I also have a few of my spring calving replacement heifers bred to our fullblood bull. 

sue

We are buying  a group bred to a 1/2 lowline 1/2 angus bull- the females are all shorthorn. Tell ya next spring but I am pretty excited.

Lazy G - I like the looks of the red bull you have.

Aussie

Just wondering why use a small bred like Lowline. Yes they are easier calving but that is because they don't grow very big. I have shown for clients many champion lowlines in Australia but were is there place in the beef industry.

LazyGLowlines

Here in the U.S. the lowlines crossed with other breeds (angus, hereford, limousin...etc) are doing very well commercially. On the 1/2 lowline cattle we're seeing only 50-60 lbs different on steers plus they're finishing quicker (cheaper) than commercial cattle. They excel in the grass-fed market and there is a big demand for grass-finished beef. Here at Lazy G Lowlines our bulls are between 1400-1550 lbs, so they're not 'tiny'.  We have a shorthorn/limmi cross cow in good condition we just weighed today at 1235 lbs.  We have some fullblood lowline cows that are close to those weights but  just don't have the legs. The fullblood steers (100% lowlines) are very attractive to the small families that have been overwhelmed with a commercial steer. We get alot of inquiries from small-acreage farms who want to raise their own beef.  So there are alot of reasons to use lowlines here in the U.S.

Aussie

Thats good if you have found a market. Really so long as you and your clients can make some money. I thew the comment out there to find put what you guys are doing with the lowline breed over there perhaps I could of done it differently. All our beef well 90% is grass fed and we find that lowlines just wont reach the carcase weight required as that weight is getting heavierand heavier. Certainly nothing wrong with the carcase as lowlines have won many light weight sections in carcase comps. Interersted in which Aussie studs yours came from

sue

LazyGLowlines said:
We've got a few clubby cows we bred to lowlines, including daughters of Heat Seeker, Sin City and Heat Wave. We were very impressed when we bred our commercial cattle to lowline bulls and are breeding them back.  One of the 1/2 lowline calves is already 440 lbs at only 4 months old.

aussie look up  :eek:

LazyGLowlines

We purchased and imported a herd from the Hamptons in Queensland.  They're primarily from The Glebe and Goan studs. Our avatar is Bluey, the first red lowline bull in the world and he's been getting a great reception here.  We know reds are not accepted in the Australian registry, whicih is a shame as Bluey's (and his sister Tulip) parents are both black and registered with ALCA.  In our opinion the American Lowline Registry had the foresight to create a registry for fullbloods (what you call purebreds) and percentages, which has helped our breed tremendously.

Aussie

I have seen few very good red females here which unfortunately were slaughtered. Yes sue that is a good weight and I do not want to offend anybody. As we have talked before different country different markets our target carcase weight of 250 to 300kg which is up a lot to even 5 years ago. Lowlines just run out of steam before they get there. A great light weight carcase and will achieve it quickly. the studs I have been involved with have been mainly from Victoria

OH Breeder

Marketed by Rockin J Ranch and Diamond J Ranch
DOB - April 2008 - 65 lbs.
Sire; Dr Who
Dam: Fullblood Lowline.

Attachments

• Double J's Dr Who 2.JPG
    Double J's Dr Who 2.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 199

Reinken Cattle Co.

All of my heatwave cows are bred to my fullblood lowline bull this year, along with all heifers. Should have some nice clubby crosses in spring, as for Georges Dr. Who bull we pondered using him on halfbloods this year but didnt get around to it but will for next year! to produce double halfblood calves..

wowcows

I spent 3 years down under and I think we could get to comparing apples and oranges on this tread if you want. Mark, let me know when you get them on the ground. All I know is that the 3 Utah X Who Made Whos we have here are not in any way small and the cows are of just average size and nice uddered. Then we can talk about the amount of feed and grass. Whew, my baby brother brought over ice cream buckets to feed the Lowline show cattle with cause he knows how I like to give them a bucket full and these cattle do it much easier with lesser.
There is a place for Lowlines in the real life market place. So, where are all you closet Lowline breeders on those clubbys?

sue

Aussie said:
I have seen few very good red females here which unfortunately were slaughtered. Yes sue that is a good weight and I do not want to offend anybody. As we have talked before different country different markets our target carcase weight of 250 to 300kg which is up a lot to even 5 years ago. Lowlines just run out of steam before they get there. A great light weight carcase and will achieve it quickly. the studs I have been involved with have been mainly from Victoria
[/quote
I think you could use them in a percentage program - Lowlines impressed the heck out of me in Denver. They are thick, smooth and track wide from end to end.

Aussie didnt offend me-

Is bluey available or just sons ( AI) ? Pretty sure I saw a pic on Kit Pharo's site of a Bluey son?

tucker

does a white lowline exist.the blue roan a angus would be great cattle

LazyGLowlines

Is bluey available or just sons ( AI) ? Pretty sure I saw a pic on Kit Pharo's site of a Bluey son?

[/quote]

Yes, we also have a Bluey son on Kit's web site, plus another bull we sold to a customer in WY.
Rudy (Red by Design)  is  the highest marbling bull in the Lowline breed (top 1% RA, top 5% Angus) We have semen on him also.

Silver

LazyGLowlines said:
Here at Lazy G Lowlines our bulls are between 1400-1550 lbs, so they're not 'tiny'. 

That's really tiny in my book, a lot of our terminal sires are around 2500 at 2 years.

sue

LazyGLowlines said:

Yes, we also have a Bluey son on Kit's web site, plus another bull we sold to a customer in WY.
Rudy (Red by Design)  is  the highest marbling bull in the Lowline breed (top 1% RA, top 5% Angus) We have semen on him also.
[/quote]

I will check out Red by Design. I spent some time on the Lowline web page and enjoyed the articles written- direction of the breed and the support given for marketing strategies and support. Looks like a rock solid association with room to grow. I left a PM.

LazyGLowlines

Silver said:
LazyGLowlines said:
Here at Lazy G Lowlines our bulls are between 1400-1550 lbs, so they're not 'tiny'. 

That's really tiny in my book, a lot of our terminal sires are around 2500 at 2 years.

Whatever works for you is great. Some people are just looking for something to downsize their herds, and lowlines can do that very quickly.