maines x shorthorns??

Help Support Steer Planet:

KDSC

OK well we are planning next years breeding. i have low and high percentage maines, most of them have big shoulders and bullish necks. so we want to get rind of those. We would like club calves or replacement heifer, maybe a calving ease bull, but if not o'well. I was thinking Jakes proud jazz, but i didnt know if he would slim their shoulders down? or even cross well with maines. Also think occ ledgend, but i dont think he will extend their necks any. and northern improvement, but didnt think he was quite what i was looking for. any thoughts? thanks

DL

KDSC said:
OK well we are planning next years breeding. i have low and high percentage maines, most of them have big shoulders and bullish necks. so we want to get rind of those. We would like club calves or replacement heifer, maybe a calving ease bull, but if not o'well. I was thinking Jakes proud jazz, but i didnt know if he would slim their shoulders down? or even cross well with maines. Also think occ ledgend, but i dont think he will extend their necks any. and northern improvement, but didnt think he was quite what i was looking for. any thoughts? thanks

KDSC - what is the breeding on your Maines? Are we talking cows or heifers? Are you particular about color? There is some thought that breeding for club calves doesn't do your cow herd much good in terms of quality of replacements - which is more important to you? Need more info....

AAOK

DL said:
KDSC said:

KDSC - what is the breeding on your Maines? Are we talking cows or heifers? Are you particular about color? There is some thought that breeding for club calves doesn't do your cow herd much good in terms of quality of replacements - which is more important to you? Need more info....

Ditto, and......................Are you trying to find a bull to purchase or are you interested in AI bulls to improve your herd?  #118925  FERRIS RCH STRUTT  (Purebred Maine-Anjou) will produce feminine heifers with long, narrow necks, and smooth shoulders.  They will be big boned, and will be great milk producers.  They will also be larger framed heifers than what you have now.  Bull calves in today's market will probably not be too marketable except at the local auction.

OH Breeder

KDSC said:

If you wanted to stay Maine, Calberta Black Impact will add some neck extension. Legend will not add neck but will add body. I like northern improvement and am a very big fan. NI's calves are fancy and hairy. If the cow is coarser made you will like the results from NI'. I am interested to see how Jakes Proud Jazz shakes down. You could alway use Who Made WHo if you are shooting for club calves. He will stamp that front end on them.
If you are thinking heifers I would suggest other bulls....except Northern Improvement he is okay for heifers.

KDSC

these are heifers i will be breeding, got the cows all fixed up already ;D,  I would like club calves, if they arent good enough, i will keep them and feed them out and then sell them at the sale barn. I would like to stay maine, but if not its no worry.  If i get a bull calf that is any good, i will keep him and use him as a clean up bull. the other is high BW's and old.??? thanks