MAJOR PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATTENTION DL and all other's

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

Ok I have 2 heifers about 12 months old, weighing about 800 lbs. I gave one 20cc's of selenium and the other 5cc's, I also gave them 10cc of LA 200, and a pre-breeding shot. I gave it to them on Thursday. I fed them on friday night, like normal, and by saturday morning they had ate most most of the feed except 5 lbs, so I picked it up and gave them 5 lbs of new feed, so they would be hungry on saturday night, HOWEVER, when I came hoem tonght they still had the 5 lbs of feed there, and they hadn't moved from the spot that they were laying saturday morning. SO I got them up an dwalked them and they pooped, so I took a look at it, and they have the runs very bad. The heifer I gave 20cc to had poo that was the consitency of the stuff that comes out when they are in heat, but it was green and had oats in, it was quite as sticky. There is a possibilty they ate some twine, but I'm not sure??? ANY IDEAS??? Thanks a lot

TJ

A probiotic would be a good starting point, but talk to a Vet.  Hopefully, DL will see this & offer you some good advice. 

shorthorns r us

which exact biological did you give?  was there a reason for Se and LA-200?  What is the feed.  are there any other physical signs?

BCCC

The selenium was because they were strating to pop in their digits. The La 200 because they had a runny nose, Feed is a complete 14% protein feed. the pre breeding shot we gave was Vira shield+VLS.

Finally got a hold of the vet, and told me to give them Draxxin, and see how they are in the morning

DL

WOW! OK this is pretty much after the fact and I haven't seen the calves but I have the following generic comments
- it is never a good idea to give a vaccination to animals you think may be sick (ie runny nose) because the vaccine may not be effective
-it is never a good idea to give an antibiotic at the same time as a vaccine (may make the bacterial component of the vaccine ineffective)
- I don't know the selenium product you used but in reality selenium doesn't do much for popping joints (although I know it is widely used) and there can be side effects esp if given in the muscle
-the vaccine, selenium and tetracycline all at once could have been a big wallop to the system
-I don't understand why the Draxxin but then again I didn't see the calves

I would go with probiotic and hay until you get their guts back in order - good luck DL

BCCC

I think the reason of the Draxxin was because he wasn't sure what was wrong with them. So if they weren't a little better by tomaarrow, then I could take them in.

Thanks a lot for the help and tips you gave me!!

DL

BCCC said:

You should be OK with that dose re toxicity - ie the dose for calves is up to 3.75 ml/100 lbs, but for yearling heifers I would use MuSe (more concentrated selenium - smaller volume) and give it sub q - talk to your vet about that if you need to give selenium to older cattle again. Even if you are in a selenium deficient state if you give your calves selenium at birth and have a good mineral you shouldn't need to supplement with injectable selenium....

good luck and keep us posted, DL

DL

[size=10pt][size=10pt]and the answer is???[/size][/size]

BCCC

They are eating better, and walking around more. I have nt been able to see any of their poo so I am not sure on that part, But they look to be  getting better (thumbsup)

DL

BCCC said:
They are eating better, and walking around more. I have nt been able to see any of their poo so I am not sure on that part, But they look to be  getting better (thumbsup)
(clapping) (clapping) (clapping)